Bob McNair and this franchise are at a crossroads

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Wordem, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Wordem

Wordem Veteran

If they pass on Young, who indicated in his press conference that he would love to come home, and if he has ANY kind of success in Nashville playing for the freaking Oilers, McNair will lose this city. I grew up in the Astrodome watching the Astros and Oilers. A gaffe like this will not be tolerated nor will it be forgiven. The honeymoon is long over. Bob McNair is not stupid. Vince Young will be a Texan or this team will be doomed in a very fickle sports town. We never forgave Bud for firing Bum and we never forgave McMullen for letting Nolan go.

If he misses with Young, he WILL be forgiven. If not, he will lose fans and money. It's just that simple.

bigcarlos likes this.
  2. ALIVE287

ALIVE287 Rookie

here, here

3. bigcarlos

bigcarlos Veteran

LMAO...I thought I was the only one that holds that against him to this day:redtowel:

4. the wonger need food

the wonger need food Hall of Fame

They have to take VY, not really much of a choice here... he is a special talent.

They should be able to get a 3rd, maybe a 2nd rounder for Davie Franchise from a team that is desperate for a potentially average QB.

5. Wordem

Wordem Veteran

Fans of professional sports in Houston have long memories.

6. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Only in Texas would a 20 year grudge still be ongoing over a Bud firing a Bum.

7. The Dream

The Dream Hall of Fame

I agree, this franchise will be scarred for life if they pass on Vince, and he turns out to be great (especially if he goes to the Titans)...........I smell "a curse of Bambino" of some sort.

8. ALIVE287

ALIVE287 Rookie

All I know is that we were 2-14...It can't get much worse. RB is our deepest position. Let's get rid of Carr and start over with the hometown hero and a new coach and GM.

9. Wordem

Wordem Veteran

You just don't get it.

10. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

I guess you know more than the talent evaluators around the league.

11. Tulip

Tulip Hall of Fame

That's the biggest reason we told him to watch out for the door hitting his rear end on the way out. I'm so glad he left.

12. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

...and ditching Earl and Warren Moon and moving the team....

13. The Dream

The Dream Hall of Fame

EXACTLY..........honestly can Vince do any worst of a job than Carr???....people act like David is something special, when he's not.

14. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

No, the problem is Casserly doesn't.

15. Tulip

Tulip Hall of Fame

It's a huge risk for him, because if Vince tears it up for the Titans and shows the Texans up in Reliant Stadium once a year, he will never live it down.

But I disagree that he's not the stupid. He is strangely devoted to his man David. I fully expect to see the Texans pass on Vince Young.

16. Wordem

Wordem Veteran

It has nothing to do with that. It has everything to do with ticket sales and a fickle fan base. It's in McNair's economic interest to take Young, who I believe is the most talented player on the board. Go by the book. Take the best player available. That is Vince Young, the hometown hero? You think Olajuwon was popular?? You have no idea what VY will do to rally fans in Houston.

17. Tulip

Tulip Hall of Fame

Yep. Warren Moon was my final straw, but Bud did plenty before that to nudge me.

18. dat_boy_yec

dat_boy_yec All Pro

If Young has really declared, then I would hope Reggie doesn't declare. Then it would be ok to pick VY or trade down to another team that wants VY. The one thing I could not tolerate would be the Titans having young. Also, all these scenarios depend on Bush and Young coming out, the draft order remainin unchanged and the Saints passing on Young. Nobody really knows what NO will do. I don't know I just hope these next few months go by in the blink of an eye.

19. Tulip

Tulip Hall of Fame

Vince Young declared at 3:00 today. Which means Casserly can comment on him tonight at 10:35 pm on Channel 13, lol.

I would be thrilled if Reggie didn't declare, but I can't see that happening.

20. RTP2110

RTP2110 Thank You Andre

It doesn't matter to me really who the Texans draft. we have the #1 pick, so whoever we get will help us. The thing is this, the Texans have to make the decision that is in the best interests of the franchise. Obviously winning is #1 on the priority list. The Texans have to draft the player that will help them win the most. In the case of Vince Young they cannot make a decision on him based on where he is from, or on what team might draft him if they pass on him. They have to draft the player who gives them the best chance at winning, everything else is irrelevant. Any decision they make will be second guessed, whether they draft Young, Bush, or trade the pick.