Bob McGinn on 2014 NFL

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Playoffs, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

McGinn is reliably plugged in...

Early look at the NFL draft
    snipped quotes
    read more here: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/early-look-at-the-nfl-draft-b99168238z1-236899801.html

2. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Good find and info. Thanks

3. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

pretty close to my eval except on Matthews.

4. Playoffs

My biggest takeaway from McGinn is this draft is not deep at the top, no franchise LTs(surprised), lightweight NTs, and best DBs start at the end of round 1.

Piques my interest in Sammy Watkins, Anthony Barr, Kahlil Mack, CJ Mosley for our pick.

If you draft a QB as a GM here, I think it's a make or break proposition unless your owner just loves you. And you'd better make sure you've got the right guy to develop a young QB on your staff.

5. NastyNate

NastyNate I go kerplunk

This guy has it right.

6. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Not so fast NastyNateMcGinn. He could fill two positions, OLB in a 3-4 or a WILL in a 4-3. Does not have enough sand in his pants to be a 4-3 or 3-4 DE, could fill Strong side OLB but why waste his speed should be on the right side. Have seen him flip to left side to stop the run & given what Buffalo has around him it was needed. Look, I really like Mack but only in specific roles. He would replace Mercilus, can get to the QB faster, has plus start & stop movements & instincts. However I doubt his speed will test out equal to say, Von Miller, but if he does that would put pressure on Barr who has better overall size. If the Texans where to trade down & my top three QB's were gone then yes I would consider him in the 5-7 range but at this time that is about as accurate as I can be. :kitten:

NastyNate likes this.
  7. NastyNate

NastyNate I go kerplunk

I appreciate your opinion beerlover and always like your input on prospects as well. I never indicated him to be DE in either scheme we run. We have the worst OLB tandem in the NFL. It's a huge reason our run defense is consistently gashed (that along with a true DT if we continue to run a 34 defense). Mack helps to eliminate part of that problem. What that does with Mercilus on the roster I'm really not sure, maybe Mercilus comes off the bench, maybe we could get a 7th rounder for him just to soften his cap hit (I think it's still something like 1.9 million cap hit versus cutting him which would be around 3 million), maybe we cut reed to save a million against the cap and move Mercilus to strong side. We have to upgrade at that position, there's no way around it. QB, OLB, RT, NT, ILB, S, CB are our glaring needs. Problem is there's no real QB there that warrants 1-1 pick.

Top three QB's in this draft are nothing close to sure fire. I'm not spending 22 million on a very iffy qb class versus a sure fire pass rusher. Bridgewater and Manziel are too small to stay healthy behind this offensive line (offensive being the operative word). Bortles? No thanks. Mettenberger and McCarron will both be there in the second. That's the smarter play in my opinion. Hell even if we trade back to #4 or 5 for an extra second and next year's first I'm fine taking that deal, as there are no sure things in this draft. Reaching for a qb in this draft is worse than not taking a QB at 1-1.

beerlover likes this.
  8. bOODRO87

bOODRO87 Time Consumer

"Do you want the pocket passer? That's Bortles, McCarron, Mettenberger."

Lost me there. Teddy has better pocket presence than all three.

9. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

But....but....Teddy is athletic and black! He's a scrambler! A zone read guy!...

bOODRO87 likes this.
  10. Playoffs

Bob McGinn ‏@BobMcGinn
    Not draft, but McGinn...

Bob McGinn ranks the top 25 NFL quarterbacks he has seen

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  11. infantrycak

infantrycak Lead Moderator Staff Member

Interesting. No way I would rank Favre that high. Having him right in front of Elway is a great example.

What is he calling a NFL single-season passing title? Steve Young didn't lead the league in passing a single time in his career. I think he is too high as well.

12. Playoffs

I think he's pretty spot-on, personally. Always like McGinn's stuff.

Without doing the footwork, I'm guessing he's referring to the original QB Rating.

13. powda

powda Hall of Fame

http://www.profootballhof.com/mobile/hof/member.aspx?PLAYER_ID=252

Young is probably an all time favorite for me. I think he's got rothlessraper to high. And i'd slot Brees a bit higher.

14. bhsman

bhsman All Pro

Brees is criminally underranked.

15. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

I've always considered Unitas to be one of the top two so I'm happy to see him that high. He is usually criminally underranked on lists like these.

16. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

7. John Elway (1983-'98): Probably the best pure athlete on this or any list. Arm strength ranked right alongside Favre's. Rare running ability.
    McGinn says: arm strength right there with Favre's, "rare running ability", 'probably best "pure athlete".
    Two things he left out - Elway was a tremendous competitor who was also an inspirational leader to teammates.
    Does he sound nearly perfect ? Sure does, that's why I think he's the best. Ever !

17. Playoffs

Based on interviews with executives in personnel for five teams

Top 8
    Next 10

18. Playoffs

The next 32

19. Playoffs

cont'd...

20. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Bridgewater not in the top 8 would be very surprising.