Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Bob Karmelowicz

TexanSam

Hall of Fame
pskinny said:
I hear you, but I hope our d-line is better than KC's has been the last couple of years...
I hope our whole defense is better than Kansas City's has been.

Grid

All Pro
well the KC Defense is more than the Dline. The Dline..as that article discusses.. has actually been pretty good. And Kubiak played against them twice a year and had alot of respect for their Dline.

pskinny

Waterboy
Grid said:
well the KC Defense is more than the Dline. The Dline..as that article discusses.. has actually been pretty good. And Kubiak played against them twice a year and had alot of respect for their Dline.
Well, I don't have any stats to back me, but it just seems like KC has been getting run on by opposing offenses consistantly for awhile now. But if Kubiack hired him, he must respect him.

I just hope it works out.

Grid

All Pro
pskinny said:
Well, I don't have any stats to back me, but it just seems like KC has been getting run on by opposing offenses consistantly for awhile now. But if Kubiack hired him, he must respect him.

I just hope it works out.
Well according to the stats, KC was 7th against the rush last season. Their rushing defense has improved by leaps and bounds for the last 3 years.. so he must have been doing something right.

gtexan02

Working?
Their DL only gave up 98 ypg last year, which is pretty great.

My one concern, and possibly not a concern, is that he mentioned by name Babin and Peek as DEs, and Smith Payne and Johnson as DTs. Nowhere in the entire article was their any mention of Gary Walker. Is going to be cut? Interesting reading between the lines maybe

Grid

All Pro
Yes it looks like Walker will be cut at this point. Hasnt been officially announced, but its looking that way.

Great news IMO.

gtexan02

Working?
Not that great. We'll take a hefty cap hit and lose our only productive DE ever. Cutting our veteran leadership every year is getting old

gtexan02

Working?
I don't know if you are sarcasaming the fact that I think Walker was our most productive DE (which he was when healthy) or the fact that to be the Texans most productive DE is like being the Texans most productive kicker (i.e. not that hard to do)

Grid

All Pro
Walker was our most productive DE in 2002.. since then he has been pure "you know what".

Im all for giving players a good long look, and considering all the possibilities before cutting them.. but Walker has been useless for 3/4 of his career with us.

As for the cap hit.. I dunno what the deal is with that.. I dont think our staff would do it if it was going to hurt us though.. we will have to see.

TexansJunkE

Waterboy
I'd say the kicker statement is about right. I'm just saying that we are not going to be losing anything by cutting. thats all.

GP

Go Texans!
We just love to keep injured guys around. Look at Joppru...guy hasn't played a down of NFL football yet and we're still hanging onto him. No disrespect to Joppru, but we just have a habit for being uber-loyal to guys (Capers, cough cough...) for some reason other than their productivity.

I'd love to be able to go to work year in and year out...miss all year long or just come in every other month and still get a vote of confidence each time I'm up for my annual employee performance review. And look, I know people get injured and get worker's comp and everything...I'm cool with that...I'm hip, as Dr. Evil would say, but I got a big problem with consistently hurt players and the loyalty that's given to them. I'm a big DD homer, as you can see by my avatar, but if he can't stay healthy...we need to go another route and find a guy that's more durable.

Anyways, I won't be crying about Walker getting cut (if he does get cut) because he's been a consistent coin flip in terms of whether he'll be on the field or not, and it just keeps us from being able to play guys or acquire guys that are more durable and thus more productive on a more consistent basis for us.

Grrrrrrr....:brickwall

AND, while I'm at it, this whole griping thing some of you have about cutting the Jamie Sharpers and the Aaron Glenn's of our team from its expansion roots (the crying about losing our core leaders) was sort of OK when it first went down last off-season...but it's getting pretty clear that cutting Sharper was not such a bad move after all. And cutting Glenn and letting him go to the Cowboys didn't really boost the Cowboys much, either. So, we need to let go of the emotionalism as if some guys are due their roster spot JUST because they have that "leadership factor" etc. Our team was, and still is, in danger of just being a final resting ground for players who drift through free agency and are on their way out of the NFL completely. That's why I hope we gobble up as much as we can through this year's draft so we can get younger. Every year I am growing more leary of free agency and am falling more in love with the draft. IMO, I just think free agency is an expensive way to gamble on a player whose best days are probably behind him.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
gpshafer_1976 said:
AND, while I'm at it, this whole griping thing some of you have about cutting the Jamie Sharpers and the Aaron Glenn's of our team from its expansion roots (the crying about losing our core leaders) was sort of OK when it first went down last off-season...but it's getting pretty clear that cutting Sharper was not such a bad move after all. And cutting Glenn and letting him go to the Cowboys didn't really boost the Cowboys much, either. So, we need to let go of the emotionalism as if some guys are due their roster spot JUST because they have that "leadership factor" etc. Our team was, and still is, in danger of just being a final resting ground for players who drift through free agency and are on their way out of the NFL completely.
Aaah, a voice of reason.

Marcus

Windmill cancer survivor
Contributor's Club
gpshafer_1976 said:
AND, while I'm at it, this whole griping thing some of you have about cutting the Jamie Sharpers and the Aaron Glenn's of our team from its expansion roots (the crying about losing our core leaders) was sort of OK when it first went down last off-season...but it's getting pretty clear that cutting Sharper was not such a bad move after all. And cutting Glenn and letting him go to the Cowboys didn't really boost the Cowboys much, either. So, we need to let go of the emotionalism as if some guys are due their roster spot JUST because they have that "leadership factor" etc. Our team was, and still is, in danger of just being a final resting ground for players who drift through free agency and are on their way out of the NFL completely. That's why I hope we gobble up as much as we can through this year's draft so we can get younger. Every year I am growing more leary of free agency and am falling more in love with the draft. IMO, I just think free agency is an expensive way to gamble on a player whose best days are probably behind him.
Well now, well now! Every once in a great while . . . a light shines . . . and hope springs eternal.

:highfive: . gpshafer .:thumbup:

Also, on the point of the D-line coach, there was a strech where the Chiefs had something like 17 straight games without allowing a 100-yard rusher. Then they forgot to tackle and Tiki Barber went for 200, but thats the Chiefs...