Bob Allen Commentary

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Vinny, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Did any of you guys catch him tonight? He said that an anonymous player told him after the game that "too many first round players on the D-line are apathetic", and that is why the play of the D swings wildly from good to bad. Not verbatim, but you get the point. Don't shoot the messenger. :wild:

2. silvrhand

silvrhand Site Contributor

Is he wrong though? What type of emotion or anger do we see coming off of our defensive line? Most of our emotion/leadership comes from the second level.

3. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

Oh, I absolutely believe that. Winning cures everything, though.

4. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Well with TJ gone, there are only two on the DL. Take a stab at which one.

5. Vinny

Wrong about what? He was reporting what he heard and wasn't speculating. Take it fwiw and throw a pinch of salt over the shoulder for good vibes, karma or whatever makes you happy.

6. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

Well there's only 2 first rounders on the line right now. And if you didn't catch Amobi's post-game reaction, he wouldn't even discuss his recent progress here the past few games because we lost. So this has to be directed at Mario then right? If thats true, wow, I hate hearing that.

7. Goatcheese

Goatcheese Nightmare Over

I would say both(Okoye more than Williams).

Mario and Amobi have both played really well at times, then kind of gotten into a rut and disappeared.

When they're fired up and attacking the defense is kicking butt. When they slack off the defense gets pushed around.

I don't see why the anonymous player would say they are the problem though. Williams overall has played fantastic despite not getting the big sack numbers, and Okoye has solidified himself as a quality starter at this point.

8. New_Texans

New_Texans All Pro

Yeah exactly, those two have played well this year.

9. Vinny

Allen was asking players why they thought the difference in the first half defense and second half defense. The player in question didn't just offer it up out of the blue. It's gonna be big news tomorrow I bet.

10. New_Texans

New_Texans All Pro

That 'answer' by whomever it was seems more so like an excuse honestly...and the worst kind at that.

11. Vinny

to be specific, it was 'pointing fingers". This kind of stuff doesn't go down in a respectful, disciplined locker room. It reeks of poor leadership.

12. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

I know Antonio Smith wasn't a first rounder, but he was a high dollar free agent.

My finger is pointed at him.

This is why college football is a better product than pro football in my opinion. Too many pro players are just collecting a paycheck and lack a real passion for the game.

13. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

What it reeks of to me is excuse making by someone in the back seven. Let me see who it wouldn't be - DeMeco, Cushing or any of the other rookies, Reeves, can't see it being Pollard or glad to get his job back lucky to have it as a 7th rounder Diles. That pretty much leaves Dunta and Wilson - one trying to stay a couple more years in the league and one looking for a big payday. Hmmm?

And why I dislike college ball is it is a few guys with the talent to go on to the NFL dominating lessor athletes without really having to study the game. I can give examples - there is one up in possum holler.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  14. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

This is one of the dumbest sports myths. College players play for future NFL paychecks. They coddle injuries because of their NFL future and juniors go back to school to up their draft status and in turn their future paycheck. Furthermore, one of the main incentives of going to college if you're any person not just an athlete is to earn more money as opposed to having no college degree.

15. Goatcheese

Goatcheese Nightmare Over

He has been pretty weak against the run so far(kind of surprising given his size and FA hype), but we weren't exactly getting run on. He did get a few good pressures this week though.

Overall we didn't get much out of our DEs last Sunday. Mario had 1 QB pressure, Smith had 3 and a tackle, Barwin had 1 and a tackle, and Bulman had 2 tackles. Not exactly making Warner uncomfortable.

16. silvrhand

silvrhand Site Contributor

spill the beans? Or do you know who the player was?

17. GP

GP Go Texans!

Antonio Smith or Dunta Robinson.

Dunta has a history of calling people out.

Antonio runs his mouth pretty good, as well.

It isn't Okoye (duh). It isn't Mario (duh). That leaves Antonio and the rotational guys, which I don't see any of the rotational guys being the culprit.

It isn't going to be a linebacker, though 'Meco does speak bluntly at times.

None of the secondary guys are good enough to be able to take a cheap shot like this, even if it's anonymous. Dunta would be the exception due to prior history of such comments.

Antonio or Dunta, take your pick and lay down your bets.

18. GP

GP Go Texans!

I'd be OK with Okoye getting cut anytime this season. Preferably this week.

Sometimes you have to have a sacrificial lamb to make a point. The guy is subpar. Yeah, yeah...I know: "Then he'll go somewhere and play really well."

Bullcrap.

The guy isn't fit for the role in the NFL.

And I think the comments are zeroed in on OKOYE specifically.

19. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

WTF? He's been our best interior pass rush this season and is on a hot streak right now. What games have you been watching? Only difference between him and Mario this year is 1 tackle and 0.5 sack.

20. JCTexan

JCTexan Hall of Fame

Since Houston only has two first round players on the D-line, does that mean somebody is calling out Mario? If that's the case it has to be Ryans. He's the only player besides Mario to have earned the right to call Mario out. Besides those two has anybody else on the defense made the pro-bowl or earned the right to call Mario out?