Blogging:Da Good, Da Bad, and DeMeco

Discussion in 'Texan Tailgate' started by Wolf, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

from Lionel Hutz blog

http://gotexans.blogspot.com/2007/08/lionel-hutz.html

2. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

http://gotexans.blogspot.com/2007/08/awesome.html

3. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

The guys on this team whether they are superstars in the league or roll players (like jason simmons) ...are a group I am honored and proud to support (well I would support the Texans anyway) but the way these millionaires whether they are kids in early twenties up to 30ish ...stand up guys here
    :texflag: just another excuse to be very very proud of OUR Texans

for those that missed Mario's visit with injured soldiers

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums//showthread.php?p=689525#post689525

a teaser

[​IMG]

4. Old School

Old School Site Contributor

Good Read. I am curious as to how they could legally make you remove his first name. I know you don't care to go into the details nor do I want you too but to me having a blog with someones name in the title wouldn't be any different than a newspaper article with someones name in the title.:shrug:

Still props to you for coming to a suitable (and peaceful) arrangement and getting some help for a local charity to boot.:highfive:

5. Matt

Matt Blogfather

They couldn't "make" me. The deal was, DeMeco's lawyer started off friendly, but asserting legal arguments that just weren't true. He would have had a point if I was making money off of the blog, but I wasn't. Once he realized that, he still didn't back off entirely (we lawyers never do), but his assertions changed more to just being receptive to some sort of agreement.

I really think he was expecting me to ask for season tickets or something like that. When I went with the charity thing, I don't think DeMeco felt like he should trade charity for his own personal goals. The disclaimer thing was just my compromise.

But, you are right. Merely using someone's first name is not legally actionable in the least (assuming, of course, you don't cross some sort of line into defamation). With a very recognizable first name (DeMeco, Elvis, etc.), making money off of that without their consent would be illegal, but I wasn't. Because he's a celebrity, without showing monetary gain on my part (or monetary loss on his part), there wasn't anything they could do.

Errant Hothy likes this.
  6. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

sorry old school, I thought I copy and pasted the actual author and somehow didn't highlight it.. I edited the post to put his name on there so y'all would know it wasn't me

7. Matt

Matt Blogfather

Thanks for posting this over here. I was happy with how quickly word got around after the post went up.

eriadoc likes this.
  8. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

I thought it was a good story and I didn't know about the disclaimer you had to put at the front
    thanks for posting