Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

BL 2017 Super Mock

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Strange looking mock when all is said & done. Players I would like to see on upcoming Texan roster but as always luck implied. Lots & lots of stuff coming & going to happen, changing the draft landscape, always fluid into the draft itself which makes these mocks a complete waste of time but still we do them. It's fun to dream. Texans were really pretty close, giving the Patriot's, Super Bowl Champion, a good fight into the 2nd half even without JJ Watt.

I would have liked to add interior DL earlier, but it doesn't look like it will fall that way. I do like younger players Texans have developed so did add another late pick who has a chance to fit scheme. Basically emphasis on OL, as many here have already done but didn't want to copy, so what if Robinson falls to 25, would you take him to fill RT position? I'm not sure if Melifonwu is the next Cam Chancellor or not but he sure can cover ground & knock you out. Very raw with huge upside. Speaking of upside that's also what I envision for Perine, always fighting for extra yards, challenge will be ball security with his aggressive style. Gives Texans a legitimate 1-2 punch while consolidating pack. When it comes to QB position I want a leader with moxie, someone inspiring his teammates to excel. If the throw is not there don't make it, move, extend the play with your legs using protection, make the intelligent athletic move, protect the ball. He has good size, plays fearless with confidence.

01. Cam Robinson, OT, 6060 310

0783986001467408425_filepicker.jpg

Houston we have our franchise RT, who could someday take over LT for Mr. Brown. Don't think he will be downgraded because of his background as much as his combine & workout measureables. In the end he is a football player who has been battle tested @ the highest level of College competition. He will be an excellent RT & give Texans QB a sturdy pocket instead of leaky sieve.

02. Obi Melifonwu, FS, 6040 219, Connecticut
9609468-ncaa-football-connecticut-at-south-florida-850x560.jpeg

Big time rising, talent @ Saftey position with versatility to cover over top, underneath or in run support. Really impressed me during Senior Bowl week & made himself a lot of money. Question marks concerning Demps health/return or moving KJ to safety from corner depending on Bouye.

03. Samaje Perine, RB, 5010 235, Oklahoma
579165cf5a185.image_.jpg

Outstanding physical playmaker adept @ blocking in pass pro, power downhill runner & dangerous in pass threat out of the backfield. Miller was excellent first step last year but its time to take another step towards deeper, more balanced attack.

04. Erik Magnuson, OT/OG, 6040 303, Michigan
upload_2017-2-6_14-48-10.png
Experienced, well coached, versatile, hard nosed competitive lineman adding depth, competing for starting RG position plus quality depth.

05. Jerod Evans, 6030 238, Virginia Tech

9560919-jerod-evans-ncaa-football-east-carolina-virginia-tech.jpg

Inexperienced, developmental prospect this late but possess big time tools worth exploring. I see more elements of Cam than I do Dak. See what you think? https://draftbreakdown.com/video/jerod-evans-vs-boston-college-2016/

06. Steven Taylor, LB, 6010 225, Houston
Most of you are familiar with him, being local which Texans in latter rounds seem to often take hard looks at. Adds speed sideline to sideline, additional blitzed with good pass rushing instinct & core special teams player.

07. BJ Singleton, DT, 6030 315, Houston
What can I say, like local flavor. Good developmental nose who could possibly work his way onto the 53 man roster. Like fact he was a former basketball standout so is athletic with good timing. Also I hear there is a rather large hole in the middle of 2017 defense.

Would love this draft! My only question is: Can we reasonably expect Melifanwu to fall to the end of the 2nd? 6'4 220 safeties that can run do not grow on trees.

Strange looking mock when all is said & done. Players I would like to see on upcoming Texan roster but as always luck implied. Lots & lots of stuff coming & going to happen, changing the draft landscape, always fluid into the draft itself which makes these mocks a complete waste of time but still we do them. It's fun to dream. Texans were really pretty close, giving the Patriot's, Super Bowl Champion, a good fight into the 2nd half even without JJ Watt.

I would have liked to add interior DL earlier, but it doesn't look like it will fall that way. I do like younger players Texans have developed so did add another late pick who has a chance to fit scheme. Basically emphasis on OL, as many here have already done but didn't want to copy, so what if Robinson falls to 25, would you take him to fill RT position? I'm not sure if Melifonwu is the next Cam Chancellor or not but he sure can cover ground & knock you out. Very raw with huge upside. Speaking of upside that's also what I envision for Perine, always fighting for extra yards, challenge will be ball security with his aggressive style. Gives Texans a legitimate 1-2 punch while consolidating pack. When it comes to QB position I want a leader with moxie, someone inspiring his teammates to excel. If the throw is not there don't make it, move, extend the play with your legs using protection, make the intelligent athletic move, protect the ball. He has good size, plays fearless with confidence.

01. Cam Robinson, OT, 6060 310

0783986001467408425_filepicker.jpg

Houston we have our franchise RT, who could someday take over LT for Mr. Brown. Don't think he will be downgraded because of his background as much as his combine & workout measureables. In the end he is a football player who has been battle tested @ the highest level of College competition. He will be an excellent RT & give Texans QB a sturdy pocket instead of leaky sieve.

02. Obi Melifonwu, FS, 6040 219, Connecticut
9609468-ncaa-football-connecticut-at-south-florida-850x560.jpeg

Big time rising, talent @ Saftey position with versatility to cover over top, underneath or in run support. Really impressed me during Senior Bowl week & made himself a lot of money. Question marks concerning Demps health/return or moving KJ to safety from corner depending on Bouye.

03. Samaje Perine, RB, 5010 235, Oklahoma
579165cf5a185.image_.jpg

Outstanding physical playmaker adept @ blocking in pass pro, power downhill runner & dangerous in pass threat out of the backfield. Miller was excellent first step last year but its time to take another step towards deeper, more balanced attack.

04. Erik Magnuson, OT/OG, 6040 303, Michigan
View attachment 1337
Experienced, well coached, versatile, hard nosed competitive lineman adding depth, competing for starting RG position plus quality depth.

05. Jerod Evans, 6030 238, Virginia Tech

9560919-jerod-evans-ncaa-football-east-carolina-virginia-tech.jpg

Inexperienced, developmental prospect this late but possess big time tools worth exploring. I see more elements of Cam than I do Dak. See what you think? https://draftbreakdown.com/video/jerod-evans-vs-boston-college-2016/

06. Steven Taylor, LB, 6010 225, Houston
Most of you are familiar with him, being local which Texans in latter rounds seem to often take hard looks at. Adds speed sideline to sideline, additional blitzed with good pass rushing instinct & core special teams player.

07. BJ Singleton, DT, 6030 315, Houston
What can I say, like local flavor. Good developmental nose who could possibly work his way onto the 53 man roster. Like fact he was a former basketball standout so is athletic with good timing. Also I hear there is a rather large hole in the middle of 2017 defense.
You had me at Robinson.
:)

If we're going to move Jackson to safety then I'm spending that #2 on a QB. If not, then a safety at #2 makes sense. Love that you're looking to upgrade at RB too.

Emphasized right side of OL to balance with the left. To create a formidable running game which will take pressure off QB & passing game. This should help get more man on man coverages (drawing safety/LB help to stop the run) allowing receivers opportunity to create separation & bigger, easier windows for QB.

Really hard to pass up defensive talent but I'll take a big toolsy FS and develop him then add some depth/needs later rounds.

Hope Evans doesn't blow up @ the combine or his pro days :smiliepalm:

Love this mock,

Robinson is exactly what this offense needs.

Melifanwu probably wont be there. But would be a great pick if he is.

Perine- Great pick perfect compliment to Miller. I like Jamal Williams more.

I've only seen Evans in the Arkansas game and am not sure what I saw.

Manguson- Didn't impress me at the East-West game. Michigan OL usually make solid pros.

Taylor- could be the next Elandon Roberts.

Singleton- Good guy to take a flyer on.

Good job, I like this mock. Robinson looks like a good fit at RT more so than LT and should start day one. Melifonwu should fit our biggest defensive needs of pass coverage on TE's and RB's, and I love his length, athleticism, and speed. He could also play the ILB spot in nickel and dime packages. Perine and Magnuson are also good quality depth picks. I'm not familiar with the last 3 picks though I've heard good things about Evans potential. :bravo:

Like the mock. The way things are going now you may have to swap Robinson and Melifonwu after the Combine. As prospects they are headed in opposite directions.

I love it.

RT, LT of the future
playmaking safety
tackle breaking RB
More OL

love it.

& I like the pedigree; Alabama, Conneticut, Oklahoma, Michigan...

It's important Texans find a day one starting caliber RT. We've experimented long enough with Newton physics. Also a viable, hard nosed versatile lineman who can fill multiple assignments worst case he develops into a starting role not because he is the mostly physically gifted but wants it more & works his butt off.

I don't want to overdraft based on potential. Obi certainly has upside but is raw, Texans have moved higher in recent drafts to secure "their guy" and they've talked too, so guess we'll see?

Yes, there are a bunch of very enticing RB's in this class it would be shame not to draft one & finally craft a better backfield & roster, moving needs to other positions, like OL & DL that take more time to develop. We all know what Texans have outside of Miller any and or all could go, imo.

Not really settled on which QB prospect to target, unlike last year with Wentz. Wish I had said more, other than I like the way he reads & goes through his progressions, in regards to Dak Prescott, so call this a make-up call if you will & move him a round or two higher as his stock climbs.

BL :wesmantexanfan:

Something constructive to work on. Harkens back to Steve Slaton in reverse, who was brilliant as rookie, then beefed up, added weight & lost his explosiveness.

Will be interesting to see if he chooses to drop his weight for Combine?

Obi Melifonwu Killed it @ the combine & put himself into first round talk & I would place him amongst a group of around 10 prospects worth #25 selection.

Cam Robinson checked all the boxes & remains my favorite. Ramczyk & Bolles would have to slip by a couple teams picking before Texans who also need tackle help.

Two other prospects who really impressed me, that would trump, all the above are Haason Reddick & Jabrill Peppers. Which begs question do you take bpa or address bpa @ dire position of need?

Obi Melifonwu Killed it @ the combine & put himself into first round talk & I would place him amongst a group of around 10 prospects worth #25 selection.

Cam Robinson checked all the boxes & remains my favorite. Ramczyk & Bolles would have to slip by a couple teams picking before Texans who also need tackle help.

Two other prospects who really impressed me, that would trump, all the above are Haason Reddick & Jabrill Peppers. Which begs question do you take bpa or address bpa @ dire position of need?

Honestly I've always been a BPA kind of guy. I think focusing on needs sabotages your evaluation process because you begin justifying weaknesses in a prospect because they address a needed position. It's important to address needs in the draft but too much focus leads to busts when you let it hijack your evaluation process.

Quick example would be the Jags drafting Blake Bortles over Khalil Mack. Mack was clearly the better prospect but the Jags needed a QB so they passed on a more talented player. Jags could have drafted an elite player in Mack and then moved up for Carr in the 2nd or stayed pat and picked Garoppolo. Instead they walked out with Bortles and Marqise Lee because they needed a QB and a WR.

Quick example would be the Jags drafting Blake Bortles over Khalil Mack. Mack was clearly the better prospect but the Jags needed a QB so they passed on a more talented player. Jags could have drafted an elite player in Mack and then moved up for Carr in the 2nd or stayed pat and picked Garoppolo. Instead they walked out with Bortles and Marqise Lee because they needed a QB and a WR.
Always begs the question, would Carr be Carr or Garoppolo had success in JAX? The place has been dysfunctional. I think they were doomed, either way.

BPA Peppers or Reddick? Needs aside both are ballers. Think Bolles if there? Need often does Trump BPA as per example given.

The BPA/need argument seems to always take on the idea that the BPA is unquestionably gods gift to the position while the need is some troll faced girl that no one wants to talk to at the dance.

Need doesn't always have to be need simply for the sake of. There can be addressing that need with someone you feel completely confident in locking down the position.

Idk, just always seems a lopsided view. I think the truth is closer to there being varying degrees of either need or BPA.

The BPA/need argument seems to always take on the idea that the BPA is unquestionably gods gift to the position while the need is some troll faced girl that no one wants to talk to at the dance.

Need doesn't always have to be need simply for the sake of. There can be addressing that need with someone you feel completely confident in locking down the position.

Idk, just always seems a lopsided view. I think the truth is closer to there being varying degrees of either need or BPA.

Realize every teams draft board is reflection of many factors.

Too close. Depends on how they can impact a given team. I think Peppers could do more for the Texans.

I don't know, Riddick has that corner bend like Von Miller. With Clowney, Mercilus & Watt, that's very ....... offensive :wesmantexanfan:

I'd personally lean towards Peppers too. Riddick's genuinely interesting, but he still feels more work in progress. I like the idea of Peppers giving us a presence in the intermediate part of the field ala Deone Bucannon or Landon Collins that we've seemingly never had. And of course he can also be counted on to contribute in the pass rush from time to time in less predictable ways than another known edge rusher.

Back