Biscuit Brisiel

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by badboy, May 30, 2008.

1. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

2. adam

adam Guero

Good read, Brisiel is quickly becoming one of my favorite players. I'd really like to see him get the start over Weary in the season opener. I like Weary; but even when healthy his play was par. As the article says, in Brisiel's time as starter he didn't allow a single sack and only committed one penalty. He's definitely starter quality, and a young guy at that.

Either way, our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people next season.

3. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

I was looking at the photos at HT.com and they had an OL of Brown , Studdard , Myers , Briesel , and Winston . The picture was labled 1st team offense .

McClain says Gibbs really likes Studdard and Butler . I'm thinking this is part of the numbers game they refer to .

http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2008/05/lets_talk_texans_mcnair_single.html

4. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Pitts had shoulder soreness which kept him out of practice. I reckon Pitts would've been there if the coaches allowed it. IMO, it's Pitts' job to lose.

5. Polo

Polo Guest

If I'm not mistaken I think I read a quote where Kubiak said Studdard was going with the first team O...

6. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I am a big Pitts fan. Just like the story of walking onto college team after being "recruited" by Salaam. Chester has just done the job. Not a probowler, just does his best with minimal down time. I like his "lunch pail" work ethic. Having said that, there is something about Studdard and Butler that makes me think they will eventually be a step up.

7. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

I think Gibbs took to Studdard very well because of the mean streak and intensity he plays with. Way thinks are looking we're going to be solid on the line next year and Butler stepping up makes Black expendable.

8. STEEL BLUE TEXANS

STEEL BLUE TEXANS Hall of Fame

Weary has been our best offensive lineman the past 2 years.

9. Honoring Earl 34

I think something is happening that has'nt before . You perform or you're cut .

10. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

This doesn't have anything to do with Brisiel's play, but was he the guy that had a seizure on the sideline last year (or maybe it was in 06)?

11. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Yes, I believe it was in 06. He was inactive.

12. ocd

ocd Rookie

Now we're talking MY kind of football!

I'm thinking Gibbs goes out in style and retires with the best O line he has ever had...just to make a statement. And what statement is that?

Smash mouth football is what wins championships.

13. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Most would agree but I go with Pitts who is always at LG. He just rarely goes out. Weary missed several games. These guys are developing into the old Oiler defense in the House of Pain atttitude. By that I mean, they bring effort always. Oiler D was not always first round pro bowl type players but they came to play. I would rather watch a solid game that we lose rather than a sloppy win. I know this also flies against the Ws at all cost mentality but that is me. I want all players regardless of side of ball to "bring it".

14. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

It's debatable to who was our best O-lineman last year.
    The only guy I haven't heard mentioning is Salaam, even though a few fans pointed out that he did have to face quite a few good RDEs.

McKinney had a bad season opener against KC (so many mistakes, but fortunately, they didn't hurt us) it's hard to give him any more than a C-

White made a couple of critical mistakes in just over half a game against the Chargers, one found him on the ground, and one almost result in Dayne getting caught in our own endzone. The one run that made us look good was to the outside where the LT overran Salaam so we had a gaping hole.

It's difficult to judge Briesel because of the four opponents we played at the end of the season (3 home games.)
    The Bucs didn't have their full load, and they were content to go home and get a clincher there. And we managed only 257 total yards.
    The Broncos had their share of injury toward the end of the season. 3 TDs on the ground was amazing, especially considering the candidates: Dayne, Leach and Rosenfels. What can you say when Dayne averaged 6yd per carry?
    Same with the Jags, they played a slew of reserves and we managed a whopping 290yds.
    And 299 yds against the Colts (124 yd in the 4th qtr down by 31 pts) while losing over 11 minutes in the posession game is nothing to write home about.
    You know it's garbage time!

15. Texans Horror

Texans Horror Hall of Fame

I thought it was Bedell who went down in 06. And I seem to remember Studdard being a fast lineman, which could account for his time with the first-team.

16. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

I don't think Studdard is fast. He has a good motor, and he will fight hard, but he's not that athetic. But he's not slow by any mean.
    Pitts has missed times while Weary has'nt fully recovered.
    And I'm sure Kubiak likes to give Studdard as many reps as he can.

17. adam

adam Guero

It didn't show last season. I would say his performance was out done by both Brisiel and Winston. I would be close to saying that McKinney had played better when he was healthy, but the sample for McKinney was a little to small to say anything like that.

b0ng likes this.
  18. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Weary and Winston were the best linemen last year. Brisiel did a fine job when he came in for Weary. I think that Weary wins the job if he is fully healthy and Brisiel will make a fine back up.

19. Honoring Earl 34

Winston is on his way and Brown should be right behind him ( of course this is a guess ) .

I think after training camp the OL will not be what we think . I've read some of what Gibbs has said in the past and it does'nt apply to our starters from last year .

20. BattleRedToro

BattleRedToro Thread Killer

I heard McClain on the radio yesterday comment that Gibbs isn't going to be sentimental in his decision on who is a starter and who makes the team on the OL. In otherwords, he is going to start the 5 linemen that he believes give the Texans the best chance to win.