Bills to get the Capers bomb?

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by rockabilly, Jan 21, 2006.

1. rockabilly

rockabilly Veteran

Apparently, Capers is now a front runner for the Bills Head Coaching job. Just read it on the news.

One less AFC competitor to worry about! Do we play them? That would be fun.

:bomb:

2. Mario Williams

Mario Williams Rookie

What if he leads them to the Superbowl next year? (seriously) What will that say about our team?

3. Bobo

Bobo Hall of Fame

Capers is a lot better coach than most people on this board are willing to recognize, and the fact that Buffalo may give him the HC job proves they see something in him a lot of Houston fans are missing. If he is hired by Buffalo, then I am sure when the Bills come to Reliant Stadium, they will destroy the Texans. He will have something to prove and he will prove it -- bigtime.

4. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

We all miss Coach (:fib) , but let's discuss Dom & his chances with the Bills in the NFL forum.

5. Bobo

Bobo Hall of Fame

It seems that everybody but Houston fans recognize that Capers took a team from its infancy to withing a game of .500 in just three years -- and did so with mirrors and a lot of green, undeveloped talent. True, the mirrors broke this year and the weaknesses of the young team became evident to everyone in the NFL, but the fact that Capers did so much with this team in the first three years is an achievement noticed by everyone but folks in the Bayou City. However, Capers may just have the last laugh if he gets the Bills job and brings his team into Reliant Stadium next season. My guess is he'll make Texans fans rue the day they lost patience so quickly with him.

6. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

I hope he gets the job he wants and is successful. He deserves that.

7. profan

profan Veteran

if he takes penders and fangio with him, buffalo will never see success and their fans will be in a uproar.

8. ThaShark316

ThaShark316 #28

We do play the Bills in 2006. (The AFC South plays the AFC East in '06...so yeah, another Colts/Patriots reg. season game)

9. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

He's good to start a program, but can't keep it going. Great def. coord, not a head coach. re: Carolina's start in '95 of 7-9 then to the championship - '98 at 4-12 he was dismissed. Texans start 4-12, sniff a 500 season then head to 2-14 then dismissed.

As a def coordinator with Pitts. '91-'95 with Cower as HC, pretty much went to the playoffs each year and brought a resurgence of the Steel Curtain in 94. Then with Jax was part of their playoff runs with '99 a high water mark as they went 14-2 then smacked Miami 62-7 but then got taken by the Titans 33-14 the following playoff game. 2000 was being smacked by the cap which the Texans assisted the Jags with...

So, I guess my point is - great def. coordinator, not so much HC, based off past experience. I wonder what it is you and Buffalo feel he has that the Houston fans can't see?

10. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Taking a team to a sub par .500 record in a league of parody is not a achievement, especially when you fall flat on your face the next year. You are giving this guy way to much praise. As far as you saying that it was a achievement noticed by everyone in the NFL except houston, that makes no sense, because he would already have a job by now. This whole league knew he was going to be available about midway through the season. The League that you say have noticed this great achievement has yet to touch this guy and just about everybody is hiring coordinators with no HC track records. The ONLY team that is looking at him is a team with a shaky front office, evident by the exodus of all their coaches who CHOSE to leave the team. Nobody wants to be head coach of that team.

11. buffalotexans

buffalotexans Waterboy

damn right, we dont want capers.

12. cmach1987

cmach1987 Rookie

we are already in an uproar. this would put us over the edge.

13. rockabilly

rockabilly Veteran

..i wonder how many times he can get Losman sacked. Watch out David! Your sack record is in jeopardy!

14. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer All Pro

Since when did Tom Penders become a football coach??? :)

15. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer All Pro

I think it was time for Capers to go because of all that happened this year, but I do NOT think he is a BAD coach (also not a GREAT coach). I think the circumstances forced our hand here. You could do MUCH worse than Capers.

I see everyone on the board is clamoring for Sherman, but he never seemed to be at the top of anyone else's list. I wonder why that is?

16. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

With 87 year old Ralph Wilson very involved in the team, and 80 year old Marv Levy as GM, the Bills probably think bringing in that young whipper snapper Capers will get everyone excited in Orchard Park once again.

17. Texizgreat

Texizgreat Veteran

I just wish Capers well.... just not at Reliant......

18. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer All Pro

Very funny! :rofl:

19. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

So much for the last laugh...
    espn

20. Bobo

Bobo Hall of Fame

The Texans were an expansion team that Capers took from scratch and moved to within a game of a .500 season in just three seasons. That is a tremendous achievement. The fact that Buffalo interviewed him shows that folks recognized this accomplishment and were willing to overlook this past season, just like the Steelers overlooked Cowher's bad seasons and the Seahawks discounted Holmgren's tough years. As for the Bills, wasn't this the same team that came within a game of the playoffs last year? That doesn't sound "shaky" to me. Sounds like you are just trying to make excuses for the Texans making the mistake of firing Capers. Those who wanted Capers fired displayed absolutely no patience whatsoever and completely forgot what he had done in his first three seasons. I am sure that the Steelers fans and the Seahawks fans are glad that their front offices decided to stick with their head coaches despite a bad season here and there. So, instead of Capers, who has a history of success with Carolina as well as with the Texans, we have some guy who has zero years of head coaching experience and before this season hasn't taken a loaded offense to the AFC championship game since Elway was around. Very astute decision. Yeah, right.