Bills to be paid $78 million to play in Toronto

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Wolf, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

I wonder how Bills fans feel about this and the city of Buffalo with Ralph Wilson stadium... losing are regular season game a year and 3 preseason games over 5 years

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...ug=ap-bills-torontorevenues&prov=ap&type=lgns

2. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I guess it's better than losing the team to another city and having them completely change the name/identity, though.

3. hobie

hobie Site Contributor

Who would do that, I mean for an owner not to be loyal to a city and it's fans sounds absurd to me !! You really are reaching DB !

4. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

I don't know the economic situation the Bills are in , but my first thought is if the Texans played 5 reg season games in Mexico City over 5 years .either I would be ticked off at that or I would just plan on getting tickets and getting some cheap beer over there :whip:

5. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

well if goes good, I guess it gives the NFL something to think about adding 2 teams (LA and Toronto?) to expansion? I seriously doubt that and don't know if I would want to see it

6. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Hell, it's like having a Houston game in Galveston...heck, I think Galveston is a longer drive. You can almost throw a rock from Buffalo and hit Toronto. When the Bills revamped their uniforms a few years ago many thought the away jersey was very Canadian football league looking so they could appeal to the Canadian Bill fans....and there are a bunch of them.

7. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

true vinny

8. toronto

toronto Hall of Fame

Guys:

I am writing a full story on this for Blitz! magazine that will be available in print and (hopefully online) sometime in June.

The magazine's website is www.blitzmagonline.com

I have interviewed Steve Tasker, Scott Berchtold (VP of communications for the Bills) as well as a few media personalties both in Toronto as well as Buffalo.

I will share the piece with all of you (2,000 words or so) when it's ready. I work for the organization that is partnering with Wilson, so I've been allowed access that has made this piece a pleasure to research and start putting together.

Vinny likes this.
  9. hollywood_texan

hollywood_texan Hall of Fame

I find it interesting that the Bills will not sell the naming rights to their stadium for posterity purposes, yet they will take money to play games outside their stadium in place of home games. It just doesn't make sense to me to do one and not the other.

I guess they'll sell out part of the way, but not all the way.

The Bills should sell the naming rights too and maybe they'll be closer to competing in profits similar to the larger markets and require less revenue sharing.

10. toronto

toronto Hall of Fame

There are two points of view on this story:

1) That there simply isn't enough corporate support in Western NY to get things like 'naming rights.' Secondly, the Bills charge the least amount of money per ticket in the NFL, close to $30 per ticket less than any other team. Options are low there and there's no chance in hell that Wilson can get the state to help foot the bill for a new stadium with the requisite PSL/private boxes etc.

2) The other thought (competing) is that Wilson is simply taking advantage of a market (5th largest in North America now) that already provides him an estimated 15-20% of his gate revenue. Toronto already is the de facto second home for the Bills - Buffalo TV is beamed into all local Toronto cable provider(s), including my employer.

Don't forget too that there is precendence here - GB did this for 8 years with Milwaukee, and that was 4 home games per year.

11. hollywood_texan

hollywood_texan Hall of Fame

I hear what you are saying, and I completely encourage what the Bills are doing to increase revenues. The old days of the AFL through the 70's and 80's NFL are over. There is a new era, and these old/established teams in smaller markets cannot just sit around and expect the league to subsidize their organization. Cincinnati is probably more guilty of this than Buffalo.

My main point is, Bob McNair plowed in more than $1 billion to get the Texans off the ground. So, even though he makes a lot more money, his ROI is very different from the Buffalo Bills. Meaning, just because the Texans make a lot of money, it doesn't mean the Texans should have to share it with smaller market teams that do not aggressively pursue new revenue streams as the league has evolved.

The Bills are doing a good thing here. Times have changed and they are moving along with them. I hope that they will continue to do more so the organization can stand alone with minimal revenue sharing.

I am not against revenue sharing to smooth things out, but an old team with a very low cost basis shouldn't be subsidized to stay in business.

12. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

To counter your first point - it doesn't really matter if the name on the stadium is a local company or not. The Washington Redskins Stadium is named FedEx Field yet FedEx HQ's in Memphis, TN. Isn't it about broadcasting the product name as far and as often as possible; no?

13. toronto

toronto Hall of Fame

You're obviously correct. Keep this in mind.

1) Buffalo is the 32nd largest market of 32 teams
    2) It's economy is beyond decline - it's a shrinking market
    3) The partners involved in Toronto are two of the richest men in Canada - Ted Rogers is worth billions and can easily afford the franchise, a transfer fee and either retro-fitting the Rogers Centre (Nee Skydome) or building a new football-only stadium.

This would not have been possible BTW until the Cdn. dollar hit par with the US buck - I think 5 years ago the buck was at .70, now it's basically at par. That's a huge difference.

14. Tedc

Tedc Hardheaded

CANADIAN BILL??

I have enough trouble with Texan Bill.

15. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

It would be more akin to driving to Austin... Toronto is about an hour and a half to two hours from Buffalo.... ~ 90 miles. You have to drive west to Hamilton first and then east to Buffalo....

16. Texan_Bill

LMAO.... NO!!! Although I did spend a week in Toronto before.

17. Tedc

Tedc Hardheaded

Poser.......ay?

18. Texan_Bill

"take off, ey"......"fleshy headed mutant"

19. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Don't get me wrong - I don't care where they play as long as they can compete financially. They could be the third team at the Meadow Lands or time share with Toronto. All fine by me. They clearly need some sort of help.

20. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

The day the Texans announce that they're going to be playing regular season home games in Mexico City I announce that I'm done with them. The "Houston" Texans should play their home games in Houston Texas just like the Buffalo Bills should play their home games in Buffalo New York.

I do not like where I see the league headed with this. A long time ago most merchandise sold featured the name of the teams home town on it. "Houston" was at least as important as "Oilers" in the name. Then when teams started moving around (Thanks Al Davis and Bob Irsay you sorry sacks of dung) the gear started just saying "Oilers" or "Raiders". It's like the league started laying the groundwork for the next series of blackmail operations against the fans. Then the next bunch of ungrateful millionaires did their bit and I thought it was as bad as it could get.

I was wrong. Now we're going to see cities get to keep their teams but not go to home games in their own town. Now we live in a time when the commissioner thinks it's a good idea to take home games away from fans and hold them halfway around the world to help build interest in areas where the NFL will never, ever expand. I don't want to see an NFL team in Toronto or Mexico City. Screw that! They have the CFL and if people in Mexico want professional American football they can form an MFL or keep watching the Cowboys from afar.

At first the NFL was about football and making ends meet. Then it became "just a business" and that was a bad thing. Then it became an incredibly lucrative business and that was worse. Now it's not even about being a local business. It's about being a global business and selling swag to people around the globe.