Bills Everett released

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by drewmar74, May 13, 2008.

1. drewmar74

drewmar74 disgruntled

Well, you knew that it was coming - that Bills TE Kevin Everett who suffered that God-awful neck injury last season would ultimately have to be released. He's blessed to be able to walk and it's hard not to be thankful that he's doing as well as he is given the circumstances.

Would is really interesting to me, though, is how well he's going to be doing financially even after being released. Found this little nugget regarding his situation:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/345442.html

Tight end Kevin Everett, who suffered a career-ending cervical spinal cord injury last season, will be placed on the waived/failed physical list by the Buffalo Bills today. The move is not surprising because the Bills can't carry Everett on the active roster because of his injury. However, the decision wasn't done just for football reasons. By being released, Everett can now pursue benefits that will ensure his financial stability. Starting today, he can apply for a long-term disability payment of $224,000 a year over the life span of his injury. An injured player is not eligible for this benefit while he's on an active roster. Everett also can apply for a onetime payment of $75,000 as part of the Player Health Reimbursement Plan.

2. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

I thought a player who was injured could not be released if they were under contract?

3. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

drewmar74 likes this.
  4. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

He's not actually released but rather "placed on the waived/failed physical list".

5. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

The NFL & the NFLPA will be under the microscope regarding Everett's treatment under the disability and insurance plan. They can't afford to screw this up.

6. toronto

toronto Hall of Fame

After watching and listening to Joe DeLamielleure torch Upshaw at every turn he gets, you got that right.

There are a lot of retired players that wouldn't shed a tear if Upshaw got hit by a truck.

7. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

There's an injury settlement process as part of the CBA that enables the player to recover some amount of compensation. If the player and the team can't come to a mutually agreeable settlement, the NFLPA also a has grievance process that involves a third party arbitrator.

8. Texaninlild

Texaninlild Hall of Fame

What are you talking about...they would be driving the truck!!

9. drewmar74

drewmar74 disgruntled

Agreed.

I just posted it because good news is hard to come by here lately and I though that Kevin's story might fall into that "good news" category.....

10. Showtime100

Showtime100 Got AJ?

Nice post. I saw this story this morning and it seemed to me like a feel good story, the Bills finally made me think less evil thoughts about them as well. I would agree about the truck and Upshaw, though..lol.

drewmar74 likes this.
  11. Brando

Brando Site Contributor

Exactly. I'm glad he was able to walk again. I'm sure he is not done with football. I'm not saying he is going to play again but I have a feeling he will be an assistant coach or remain in the the NFL in some capacity.