Bill Parcells ?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by IDEXAN, Oct 11, 2010.

1. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Is it time for McNair to consider bringing in this guy, because our fundamental problem is failing to select enough good football players to compete with the better teams in the league - Rick Smith & Gary Kubiak aren't getting that done. I think Parcells is now available with the ownership change in Miami ?
    Deep South native Bob McNair can keep his black GM and continue to feel good about his affirmative action politics, all Parcells wants is power and money, he doesn't care about job titles. In other words Smith can continue
    to be the teams GM, except when it comes to personnel decisions. Parcells runs the Draft and hires the FAs.
    This means of course we go 3-4 defense and Kubiak is gone because Parcells wants no part of any ZB system, it'll strictly be power-drive blocking with his Oline and nobody is under 325 lbs.

2. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Only if Belichick is on his staff.

Way to invoke race into a football discussion, says a lot about a person.

3. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

4. houstonspartan

houstonspartan Hall of Fame

I've never negative repped anybody. First time for everything.

5. drewmar74

drewmar74 disgruntled

Really? Seriously?

6. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

This kind of jackassery should be banned from Texans Talk. Mods - find a rule this violates and kick this douche off the board for good it reflects poorly on all of us.

7. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

My observation was meant as more of a redemption of the conscious of a man of the deep South like Bob McNair, a native South Carolinian. An atonement of guilt if you will. However if you choose to make it about race, that's your call.
    But I think Bob Mcnair is a good and descent man, and I think he's the kind of man who wants to make amends for his culture, his history when given the opportunity ?

8. Big Lou

Big Lou Stop Clowning

You don't think this team has enough talent to compete? I disagree there is a lot more talent on this team than probably 2/3's of the NFL. There are some glaring holes, but show me a tema that doesn't have some. Depth has gotten better as well. This is a deeper issues than talent.

9. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

So basically you don't think Rick Smith is qualified to be a NFL GM and has his job due to his race?

10. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

I just don't see how you could come away with this opinion just because he's from South Carolina or the South. There are plenty of black HC's and GM's around the league. I highly doubt that Smith is here "because" he's black.

Any way, getting back on topic I'd love to have Parcells come in here. Him running the personal decisions instead of Smith would be a huge upgrade by far. I highly doubt that it would ever happen though. Mcnair just doesn't seem to be the kind of owner to go out of his way to get the big fish like Parcells if we look at his history and that tells us anything.

We're going to probably be stuck with Smith for a while.

11. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

I won't say that but it sure isn't due to track record or results. I think it had more to do with him being a friend of kubiak and being from Denver.

Rick isn't here because he is black he is here because he is a kubiak crony. Now him being black could be nice because executive positions have been tough to come by for minorities and it might be a tertiary benefit

I like having a black gm
    I dislike having horrible talent evaluation
    Specifically in the secondary and that should be his strength as he played DB

The guy may have been outofline going to race card with his post but it MAY have played a slight factor in him being considered

Smithiak better turn it around and fast

12. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

I think Bill Parcells is one of the 2 best men in the business at evaluating NFL prospects, and I think he's now available and he'll usually go to work for the highest bidder, assuming he also has control of all player personnel decisions.
    Oh BTW, the other top guy isn't available because he has lifelong
    long employment with the Ravens. He's their GM and his name is Ozzie Newsome.

13. Cjeremy635

Cjeremy635 Overtraining

Are you serious? That's just lame and a horrible direction to try to point the finger. Honestly, that's one of the worst things I've read on here. If we lose, so be it, but it isn't because McNair felt like he had to hire an unqualified black man. I personally think that Smith has done a great job as our GM. If he fails, it's because of decisions that he makes, not because he's a black man.

14. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

This is an offense post to me becuase of some subtly that was placed in this post.

First you take a broad swipe. You specifically made it about race when you referred to Smith as a Black GM. The whole point of your post was that McNair hired a neophyte with very little football management experience in Smith. You could have referred to him as such or but you intentionally interjected race into this topic.

Secondly, you made an assumption about Bob McNair and the, "conscious of a man of the deep South." What has he specifically said or done that has led to this belief that he wants to, "make amends for his culture." Please educate me as to your specific source material. Please provide direct quotes and sources.

I become offended with the following quote, "But I think Bob Mcnair is a good and descent man, and I think he's the kind of man who wants to make amends for his culture, his history when given the opportunity" Why should a "good and decent man" need to make amends for his culture? Are you saying that a person who does not want to do that is by definition NOT a good and decent man? As a man of color I am offended when white individuals are taught or are made to feel guilty for being white. Feeling guilty about the color of your skin is akin to thinking color of skin means good or bad things. THAT is a horrible way of thinking.

Many of Diversity classes I have taken have hammered this point home and in each one I have raised the same point. Of course the professor or leader was unable to refute it. The whole nonsense of White guilt irritates the hell out of me. Bob McNair did not specifically do anything (that I am aware) in terms of racial discrimination. Is there racism in the US? Sure, of course there is. But we continue it and we allow it to fester when we apply these types of thoughts. White guilt is discriminatory. You are in essence saying that becuase a person is not white they must have suffered terrible societal injustices. BS. One does not solve discrimination by ladling on extra discrimination.

And THAT is why I found your post offensive. You did not come out any say any of this, but you slipped in, "a good and descent man, and I think he's the kind of man who wants to make amends for his culture, his history when given the opportunity" as an after thought and portrayed it in such a way that anyone who would even deign to disagree would look like a racist or culturally insensitive.

Kulluminatii likes this.
  15. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

Rick Smith is a bright spot in this organisation.

The issues are on the field not in the front office.

16. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

[​IMG]

Implied facepalm!!
    When something is so ****ing ******* A full and proper facepalm isn'tt even necessary!!

Why did I even read this thread?

:facepalm: Bill!

17. kcdoubleeagle

kcdoubleeagle Veteran

Well Said....:bravo:

18. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

Molden
    McCain
    Jackson
    Quinn

Not exactly good picks to date

Yeah the players play but he chose those players and he decided to not try an improve last years group, which were already less than stellar, and felt it was prudent to let Dunta go as a UFA

The players need to make plays but he personally chose to put this group out there and surmised that they would be sufficient if not excellent.

He was wrong and that is on him
    Jackson looks like garbage and no one can honestly dispute that. He looks like a UDFA at best andthat is on smith

19. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

The draft is a crap shoot, and we all know that. 1st round picks fail frequently for all GMs. This does not mean I'm excusing Jackson, 'cause he looks like shit right now, but instead I think over all the drafts by Smith have been pretty good.

It's what Kubiak has been doing with that talent and the coaches he hires that would appear to be a problem. At least that's how I see it.

20. The Third Man

The Third Man All Pro

"Affirmative action politics?" Don't let a loss turn you into a jackass in public.