Bill O'Brien - Offensive Scheme?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by silvrhand, Jan 8, 2014.

1. silvrhand

silvrhand Site Contributor

Question,

Does anyone know what type of offense Bill O'Brien is likely to use? My main concern is our offensive line for so many years are smaller more athletic and we have a considerable investment in 2 of them, and our running back is very geared towards the zone based running game, which we have another large investement in.

Thoughts on how this will work out?

- John

2. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

With exception of Myers the rest of Oline are big boys that could play in a power type O. If Ben Jones can handle the less complex center in a Power, I'm all for allowing Myers to go saving $ and giving Jones reps.

3. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

If it's anything like the Patriots, here's a good article for you:

4. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Why are you going with your hopes when there is an answer already at hand?

silvrhnd - they have hired an OL coach, Brian Ferentz. He is the son of Kirk Ferentz (who interviewed for the Texans HC position in 2006) current Iowa HC (where he coached Brian). They are ZBS disciples. This is not surprising since the Patriots are a zone based team.

The Patriots center is 6'2" 275 lbs.

5. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

I didn't realize there is two Ferentze's. I thought we were getting the one we interviewed in 2006.

6. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Got any documentation to back that up ? I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, it's just that I was unsuccessful in finding any definitive explanation of the Hawkeyes offense being operated with a preference for either a Power or a Zone Blocking scheme.

7. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

Well, I don't know how reliable this is but:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zone_blocking

I took out more than necessary to show that Kubiak is in there but also to show that Weis is in there as well as McDaniel (for at least his first year at Denver) in addition to Ferentz.

8. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Not sure why you can't find anything. "Kirk Ferentz Iowa zone blocking" came up with a bunch.

These are from wiki:

Maybe I undersold him as a disciple:

Kirk Ferentz was Belichick's OL coach the last 3 seasons in Cleveland.

9. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Yup, I missed it bigger than hell. Don't know how I managed to do that ? I think I looked under the school and not the coach. Anyway good deal, because I like the zone blocking stuff and looks like it's gonna be around in Houston for quite a bit more time.
    Now we'll need to sit tight to see who the DC will be to find out if we are gonna go with a 3-4 or 4-3 ?

10. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

I imagine they will be running a scheme that is fast paced and can run on different types of tempos. It will adjust to pass heavy and run heavy at different periods of time depending on who the opposition is. O'Brien really didn't run the offense that much different than how McDaniels is running it right now. O'Briend had been on the Patriots staff before McDaniels left to coach the Broncos. I think you'll see a very similar style offense to what they tried to execute in NE, but we'll have to wait until we have a QB who can really implement that game plan to the high level people are used to seeing.

11. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

Was watching some Penn St. and Iowa; they both employed the ZBS alright.

Iowa has a good-looking RT (Brett Van Slotten) that the Texans will probably bring in as an UDFA.
    He's a very athletic guy that needs to build up some more strength for the run game. Second team All Big 12.
    Taylor Lewan, a first-teamer, will probably be drafted in the first round.
    The other first-teamer is a Jr for the Hawkeyes, who had decided to go back to school.
    The other second-teamer, Mewhort, is slotted to be drafted in the 3rd-4th.

Van Slotten looked good in the Outback Bowl against LSU.
    He didn't allow any QB pressure; it was the interior line that leaked.

12. BullNation4Life

BullNation4Life Hall of Fame

Man screw it, somebody tell Billy boy to install the ol' Chuck and Duck....

Bring back to glory days of the Oilers...

13. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I think we're going to run the veer

JB likes this.
  14. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

If Munchack were in fact to be hired as the OLine coach (which would really surprise me), let me just say that our chances of being a predominantly ZBS team would drop substantially because I don't think he drafted Chance Warmack last year when he was the Titans HC with his first round pick to run a finesse ZB scheme.

15. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

hahaha I was thinking that, with a bit of wishbone to mix it up

16. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

I don't think the rest of the line was much suited to run zbs predominately. You don't change the scheme to fit only the one player. But to think that Munchak doesn't know or can teach the zbs is kinda silly, and what does who Tennessee drafted have to do with what kind of offense O'Brien want to run?

17. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

Maybe he's bringing Womack with him. :kitten:

18. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

The titans have, in fact, run the ZBS a lot. Heck, practically every team in the NFL mixes in ZBS running plays. They just don't base their entire offense around it like we did.

19. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

I know that teams run a variety of offensive schemes just as they run a variety of defenses. Nevertheless a team will be a base 3-4 or base 4-3 on defense, just as it will favor the power or zone scheme though they will run both throughout the course of a game, every game they play.

20. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Big-time FA Andy Levitre, the other Titans starting guard, cost the Titans lots of money and no doubt he was also a power type. Teams usually don't invest that kind of money or 1st round picks for zone guys, i.e., they are taken to go mano-a-mano against a JJ Watt for example. And Munchacks personal game was also power game, that's how he got into the HOF. But can Munchack teach other methods ? Of course, I'm sure he could teach any system, but I'm just pointing out what his preferences almost surely are.
    And just as surely, I'd expect rookie NFL HC O'Brien will highly value Munchack's advise to include his preferences about OLine play.