Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Bill Belichick: Talk about another rout of Texans is 'garbage'

srrono

All Pro
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...egular-season-rout-of-houston-texans/1823387/

Bill Belichick has been quite quotable this week. Not when talking about the opponent, of course, as his one-word reply to a question about his assessment of Arian Foster ("Good") revealed.

It's the inquiries about the New England Patriots' 42-14 blowout of the Houston Texans last month and the implication it will have any effect on Sunday's playoff rematch that's been getting Belichick riled up enough to use words like "garbage" and "ridiculous" in describing such a connection.

"I think it's a bunch of garbage," Belichick said.

See, told you.

"The game comes down to teams, the way we match up this weekend, on Sunday," he said. "It doesn't have anything to do with some game that was played this season, last season or some other time. It doesn't matter. It's not this game. The game will have its own elements and it will write its own story. And I don't think any other game has any bearing on this one."

Belichick's strong responses in his press conference obviously mirror what he's been telling his players behind closed doors.

The veteran coach doesn't want them thinking they merely have to show up on Sunday and stroll to an easy victory. Nor does he want them to think the things that came so easily on that highly anticipated Monday night game (namely four touchdown passes for Tom Brady) will happen once again.

Recent history says Belichick might have a reason to be worried.

Over the past three decades, there have been 11 playoff rematches between teams who played a regular-season game decided by 28 points or more. The team that got blown out in the regular season has won seven of those games.

Maybe Belichick doesn't know the numbers, but he surely has a sense for how dangerous these rematches can be, particularly since one of those seven teams to bounce back was the 2010 New York Jets, who overcame a 45-3 drubbing in Foxborough on Dec. 6, then returned to Gillette Stadium on Jan. 16 to upset Belichick's Patriots 28-21 in a divisional playoff game.

So, the notion the Texans are about to lie down for the Pats is being met with strong resistance from Belichick and his players.

"I think you learn from it. You also understand things aren't going to be the same," Brady said. "They're going to see things that they're working on that are going to be different for us this time around. We do the same thing. You put a game plan in like we always do and you see if it works. And if it works, great, you win the game.

"But the next time you play them, you have to figure out another game plan. It's never, 'Let's just take a bunch of those plays and just run those again.'<TH>"

It's an interesting chess match teams play each time there's a rematch. One team was effective running a bunch of plays, so the opposing team tries to plug those holes. But while plugging them up, they also have to anticipate other plays the initial team might try to create. And so forth.

The problem for the Texans in this matchup is the Patriots did a whole lot of things well the first time around. They ran the ball well, they threw it short, they threw it long, Brady got rid of it quickly, Brady held the ball a while after play-action fakes, he threw to the edges and threw up the middle.

Defensively, the Pats blitzed effectively and also rushed with their down linemen well. In the secondary, they read Matt Schaub's eyes well, such as when safety Devin McCourty cut in front of Kevin Walter to pick off a pass Schaub thought was a touchdown when it left his hand.

There were plenty of things New England did right that night, and thus there's plenty upon which to build a new game plan.

Including Rob Gronkowski, who missed the first meeting with a broken arm.

"You've got to realize this is the NFL, and what happens in one game is not going to happen in another game," safety Steve Gregory said. "It doesn't reflect how good a team is or isn't."

That's the kind of quote Belichick wants to hear. But there's the reality of a particular play or scheme working multiple times against the same team. It happens more often than the average fan might realize.

"It's like in boxing, when a boxer has a vicious right hook," said Patriots wide receiver Donte' Stallworth, who is on injured reserve but has seen plenty of adjustments or lack thereof in his 11 seasons. "You know it's coming sooner or later but you have to defend for the other stuff. As you're looking out for the other stuff, here comes that right hook."

Gary Kubiak his hoping there won't be a quick knockout this time around.

"I think every opportunity to play in this league usually ends up being quite different than what you faced the first time," the Texans' coach said, adding of looking backward: "You're making a huge mistake if you start saying, 'If we would have done this, if we would have done that, we would have been fine.' We weren't fine, we got our tails kicked."

That's awfully nice of Coach Bill to say that.

Now, why is it that Bill's team is always dominating teams for over a decade now? I mean, when has his team ever really squeaked out a win over its opponent. Without looking, I'd bet the team wins by a comfortable margin in majority of games and then sometimes blows opponents out.

Remember Wilfork's comments prior to the last game? All class. Heaping praise upon the Texans. Now Bill comes out and does the same thing. It's a well-known tactic that works on his own team and on others: Respect your opponent, do not instill a newfound anger in your opponent that doesn't need to be there, and make your own guys understand that anything can happen at any moment to change the outcome.

He's doing it right.

Now, why is it that Bill's team is always dominating teams for over a decade now? I mean, when has his team ever really squeaked out a win over its opponent. Without looking, I'd bet the team wins by a comfortable margin in majority of games and then sometimes blows opponents out.

Remember Wilfork's comments prior to the last game? All class. Heaping praise upon the Texans. Now Bill comes out and does the same thing. It's a well-known tactic that works on his own team and on others: Respect your opponent, do not instill a newfound anger in your opponent that doesn't need to be there, and make your own guys understand that anything can happen at any moment to change the outcome.

He's doing it right.

Last year against the Ravens in the AFC Championship game.

And in the Super Bowl. Three times. (OK, also lost two squeakers there). If the Pats opponents just scored one more TD in those three games then the genius Belichick loses about 100 IQ points.

its tough sweeping teams in the NFL. Not predicting a win, but that's a fact.

Yup, the Cowboys best year under Wade...they swept the Giants, got a bye and got the Giants a 3rd time...Romo and Witten went to Mexico...and the rest is history.

He's doing it right.

And in the Super Bowl. Three times. (OK, also lost two squeakers there). If the Pats opponents just scored one more TD in those three games then the genius Belichick loses about 100 IQ points.

GP says some stupid stuff and yall caught him on one there

Belichick is a freaking genius. He would be the #1 reason why Texans are prohibitive underdogs. Then you gotta deal with General Tom Brady. Watt can't deal with them alone or can he?

When the Texans played the Pats earlier this season, they went up there wearing their cute little letter jackets, saying it was the most important game and all that. And then, when they down a couple of TDs, they basically panicked, acting like they've never been there before.

Bellchick doesn't want his team coming out flat, and looking ahead to Denver.

But sometimes coaches, even Belichick, doesn't always get what they want from their players. Part of him is scared sh!tless that history might repeat itself.

The Texans, this time, are going up there knowing that everyone thinks its gonna be another blowout.

I'll be watching this game more out of curiosity than anything else.

When the Texans played the Pats earlier this season, they went up there wearing their cute little letter jackets, saying it was the most important game and all that. And then, when they down a couple of TDs, they basically panicked, acting like they've never been there before.

Bellchick doesn't want his team coming out flat, and looking ahead to Denver.

But sometimes coaches, even Belichick, doesn't always get what they want from their players. Part of him is scared sh!tless that history might repeat itself.

The Texans, this time, are going up there knowing that everyone thinks its gonna be another blowout.

I'll be watching this game more out of curiosity than anything else.

For the bolded..article on not just respect for Texans but how 7 years of nothing haunts them

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--s...ts--tom-brady--bill-belichick--213152898.html

Bill Belichick and Tom Brady both arrived in New England in 2000. The Super Bowl championships came fast – 2001 (Brady's first as a subbed-in starter), 2003 and 2004. It was a dynasty, almost overnight. And although the task wasn't easy or simple, it was accelerated.

Since then, nothing.

Tom Brady reacts after throwing an INT in the Super Bowl vs. the Giants last year. (AP)Seven years of falling short and make no mistake, anything less than everything is falling short for competitors of this intensity. Especially by now, with the Houston Texans arriving Sunday for an AFC divisional playoff game. Especially after all these years of relentless churn, of boilerplate double-digit win seasons derailed by crushing injuries and gut-punch defeats, of Januarys and Februarys somehow lost.

Vxk9P.jpg

You guys are hilarious.

We're squeaking out OT wins in the regular season versus Jags and Lions, the Patriots are winning Super Bowls that aren't runaway games, and this makes you feel better?

I needed a good laugh.

One thing that helps BB is that the team leaders are singing from the same hymnal as the coach. Brady, Wilfolk, Many are keeping the locker room with that mindset. If you saw the NFL channel Football Life stuff on BB you wold see that is how he views things behind closed doors.

NFL coaches know how difficult it is to win in the NFL and don't take opponents lightly.

You guys are hilarious.

We're squeaking out OT wins in the regular season versus Jags and Lions, the Patriots are winning Super Bowls that aren't runaway games, and this makes you feel better?

I needed a good laugh.
No one said it made them feel better. Apparently you missed this earlier post - we were just having a laugh at the expense of the doofus who posted:

Now, why is it that Bill's team is always dominating teams for over a decade now? I mean, when has his team ever really squeaked out a win over its opponent.

The answer to when he has squeaked out a win is: every time the game is important. (Except for the ones he loses. So ignorant we are still ROTFL. But we don't feel any better if that makes you feel better.

Nah, Fred.

If you think tearing down a multiple Super Bowl winning coach so that our head coach looks bigger and tougher, then go ahead.

It just looks dumber than ****. That's all.

We have enough problems than to sit here and act like Bill is not really a great head coach since those other three teams just needed to score one more TD on his defense.

They have rings, we have none. So until we catch them, let's just say that their head coach knows how to beat teams in tight games and they damn sure know how to go full steam ahead if the opponent gives up (like WE did in week 14).

Let me ask you a straight question, to which I'd like a straight answer: In the past decade, name two teams in the NFL that you would associate with the standard "blowout win" if there was a blowout any given Sunday.

My answer is: Colts and Patriots. What's yours? It damn sure isn't the Texans.

I believe that what Bill was really saying is this:

"Nah. The idea of us blowing them out, again, is insane. We'll still win, but it will probably be by 10 points, maybe 13." He didn't say that, but I bet it was floating around in his thoughts. He doesn't have to say it, he's just been doing it over and over. Which is all he cares about in the end. No lettermen jackets, no Patriots Worthy statements to the media, no Segways or Uggs boots for his OL. Get my drift?

Because Bill will take whatever he is given. He wants to win, and he's shown he can get that accomplished over a really long time. Not two seasons.

Nobody is tearing down anyone or anything except you and your dumbass claim that the Patriots never squeak out wins or get lucky. And when someone calls you out on it, you move the goalposts and throw in some dumb ass catch to your already idiotic claim.

I mean holy ****ing hell, do you seriously have no idea how lucky on TOP of being great they've been over the last 12 years? Go back and look at their games week by week since Tom Brady took over.

There have been plenty, PLENTY of instances where they've pulled wins out of their ****ing asses.

Jeez. How dumb. How ignorant.

Last edited:
Nah, Fred.

If you think tearing down a multiple Super Bowl winning coach so that our head coach looks bigger and tougher, then go ahead.

It just looks dumber than ****. That's all.

So now you are a multiple Super Bowl winning coach? OK, congratulations I guess.

Coach, who is the bigger football genius you or Belichick? Were any of your Super Bowl wins squeakers, or did you always have a blowout win - you know by 3 points?

He's doing it right.

Good teams don't need to trash talk. Smart teams don't.

I think Belichick is saying what Foster said. Last game was last game. The next game will be different.

If we win the coin toss, it will be totally different from last game, not because winning the coin toss has anything to do with anything, but because they won the coin toss last time.

We score on our first possession, it will be a different game. We stop them on their first drive, it's a different game.

He probably didn't expect a blow out the last time, he can't explain why Matt didn't take the throws he normally does, or why our run game was so "vanilla"

I think Belichick is saying what Foster said. Last game was last game. The next game will be different.

If we win the coin toss, it will be totally different from last game, not because winning the coin toss has anything to do with anything, but because they won the coin toss last time.

We score on our first possession, it will be a different game. We stop them on their first drive, it's a different game.

He probably didn't expect a blow out the last time, he can't explain why Matt didn't take the throws he normally does, or why our run game was so "vanilla"

Absolutely correct.

Nobody is tearing down anyone or anything except you and your dumbass claim that the Patriots never squeak out wins or get lucky. And when someone calls you out on it, you move the goalposts and throw in some dumb ass catch to your already idiotic claim.

I mean holy ****ing hell, do you seriously have no idea how lucky on TOP of being great they've been over the last 12 years? Go back and look at their games week by week since Tom Brady took over.

There have been plenty, PLENTY of instances where they've pulled wins out of their ****ing asses.

12 years of luck, huh?

I don't think I'm the one who is dumb and ignorant.

So now you are a multiple Super Bowl winning coach? OK, congratulations I guess.

Coach, who is the bigger football genius you or Belichick? Were any of your Super Bowl wins squeakers, or did you always have a blowout win - you know by 3 points?

Again, all you're doing is finding ways to minimize the impact a good coach can have on a team...especially over a long duration AND in playoffs and Super Bowls.

Tear him down to build ourselves up. It's nothing but jealousy at the end of the day. And I'll throw in that guy who says the Patriots have been lucky for the past 12 years. You guys should write for Leno, it's funnier than anything he's doing right now.

Funny how New England has not won squat since SpyGate.
This comment is beyond stupid on SO many levels. Since "spygate" (which I doubt any of you really know anything about) the Pats have merely been to 2 Superbowls, won 5 division titles, 2 AFCCG's and had 6 double digit seasons, including one after Brady was lost in the first quarter of the opening game of the season.

Now, Tough guy, compare that "squat" to what the Texans...or any other NFL team has done over the same time span. :rolleyes:

This comment is beyond stupid on SO many levels. Since "spygate" (which I doubt any of you really know anything about) the Pats have merely been to 2 Superbowls, won 5 division titles, 2 AFCCG's and had 6 double digit seasons, including one after Brady was lost in the first quarter of the opening game of the season.

Now, Tough guy, compare that "squat" to what the Texans...or any other NFL team has done over the same time span. :rolleyes:

Our better days are ahead of us, we know that. We're fine with that. Yours are behind us... & you don't even know it.

Ya that 1 point loss to ravens really squeaking out wins..i sure hope the texans kick the patriots ass so bad..

What BB understands, and what we all should understand is that in the NFL the 53rd man on your roster is a well trained fantastic athlete. He is the end result of a hard and viciously competitive marathon that goes on from OTA's to TC's, and continues even throughout the season. Those that remain not only deserve to be there, but are very good.

BB also understands that the beauty of football is that it is a game where it takes more than just great athletes to win. Its a game where its the best TEAM, not the best collection of athletes that generally wins. He understands that the game is played with an oblong spheroid that will bounce inconsistently and not always in your favor. He understands that the game is officiated by human beings who make mistakes, and those "mistakes" can greatly affect a game. He understands that the margin of victory in ANY NFL game is enormously slim, and just a few plays (as you saw in the last meeting) can turn a close game between 2 evenly matched teams, into a rout.

Its easy for fans and the mediots to say that one team is vastly better than another. They really DON'T understand that is almost as hard to beat a Jacksonville as it is to beat the Pats. BB understands that each individual game is completely different. That comparative scores are meaningless.

What happened in December will have NOTHING to do with what happens tomorrow. There will be some different players on the field. The offensive and defensive game plans will undoubtedly be different. There will be an entirely new set of Refs. The weather will be different, etc etc, etc

BB understands all that. Fortunately his team buys into it. Its part of the reason what the Pats have been so consistently good, even though the players are always changing.

Here's the one thing I DO know. If the Patriots do not play one of their best games of the year, and the Texans do.....they will lose.

If BB is a genius, then his genius in understanding how difficult it is to win a football game at that level, and then trying to do ALL the things necessary to give yourself a chance to accomplish that task.

Good Luck Tomorrow.

Our better days are ahead of us, we know that. We're fine with that. Yours are behind us... & you don't even know it.
I have to laugh again TK, Jet fans have made the same claim now for the last decade, but somehow it just doesn't happen. Why is that? LOL

BTW- I would agree that the best is yet to come for the Texans for the next few years. They have built a fine team over the last few years. But you will find it is easier to build a good team, but much harder to sustain it. Lets see where everyone is another decade from now.

I have to laugh again TK, Jet fans have made the same claim now for the last decade, but somehow it just doesn't happen. Why is that? LOL

BTW- I would agree that the best is yet to come for the Texans for the next few years. They have built a fine team over the last few years. But you will find it is easier to build a good team, but much harder to sustain it. Lets see where everyone is another decade from now.

True... true....

12 years of luck, huh?

I don't think I'm the one who is dumb and ignorant.

Look at the games. They speak for themselves. Especially look at the games from 2001 to, say, 2004. Not just playoff games. All games. There have been an incredible amount of games they pulled out by what is considered disgustingly lucky. See the Oakland game, for starters.

But you won't.

We're going to blow them out.

We've seen their best, they haven't seen ours. They're going to have to adjust on the fly...... not going to happen, we're too balanced.

Back