Big Ten reportedly offers membership to Mizzou, Notre Dame, Nebraska, & Rutgers

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by IDEXAN, May 10, 2010.

1. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

2. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Of course they go after the only two decent Big 12 North teams.

Notre Dame will shoot them down, but Rutgers might take it.

3. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

I know the Big Ten is talking about expanding to 14or 16, which is think is a complete some screen. IMO they're probably really only interested in expanding to 12. Just sounds better if you're shooting higher and only get one of those teams to move.

Most realistically I think Rutgers will be the team to accept and that's the market the Big 10 wants to expand to.

I doubt ND moves to a conference. They've got too a good TV deal to back out of or I am not sure the Big 10 TV deal will match.

Geographically Nebraska makes sense. But, why would Nebraska want to move from the weak Big 12 North into what would likely be a strong Big 10 conference? Nebraska looks pretty set to dominate the Big 12 North for a while and looks like they might be accumulating the talent to really compete with the power houses in the South. I really think Pelini has done an excellent job.

Mizzou is in an area the Big 10 likely wants to move into (St. Louis) and geographically makes decent sense. Again I just got to wonder if they will make the break because of the situation in the Big 12 North. Nebraska aside it doesn't look like anyone will run away with it anytime soon. Besides they'll always have to schedule a game with Kansas whether they are in the Big 12 or not.

4. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Notre Dame isn't moving anywhere and I don't blame them. They have a pretty good setup right now.

I don't think Nebraska moves.

I think only one team will make the move and I think it will eventually be Rutgers.

5. JayCee

JayCee Veteran

so whats the deal with ND? why are they not in a conference? how is it decided who they will play each year / are there any teams they consistently play each season like teams who are in a conference do?

6. WolverineFan

WolverineFan Hall of Fame

They are an Independent. They get to choose their own schedule because they don't have a conference although they play rivalry games every year with Michigan, USC, Michigan State, Stanford & Boston College. They also play Purdue almost every year or every other year and play Pittsburgh quite often. They've also played Washington quite a bit lately.

However, they also schedule service teams quite often. They've played Navy something like 40+ years in a row and play Army and Air Force quite often.

In the end they play a pretty decent schedule because they play a lot of BCS teams, but they are rarely in the top 25 in toughest schedules.

JayCee likes this.
  7. treduke

treduke All Pro

nebraska.mizzou,and rutgers will go
    no way notre dame is sharing all that money with anyone else!

8. JayCee

JayCee Veteran

so generally ND will approach a team and say hey we want to play you this upcoming season - and since it's ND - the team normally accepts?

9. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

Yep, because the last couple years its been a guaranteed win (for decent teams).

10. GlassHalfFull

GlassHalfFull Subscribed Contributor

Is Dickie back on his drugs or off his meds as the case may be, or is there something behind this article??

What lucky conference will land the Longhorns? UH? Not so much.

11. pbat488

pbat488 gig 'em

Richard Justice is a firetrucking idjit.. sorry for cursing.

But really, when he does his tongue-in-cheek blogs or articles, it seems he forgets that sarcasm doesn't play well through print when you can't sell it with emoticons or extended periods as we can on message boards.

I know he's not as big an asshat as he comes off as when he writes but he's still a huge doucher in my book.

As for expansion, I really don't think Notre Dame is going to cave in to the Big 10's overtures unless they get Pitt, Rutgers, and another prominent Big East school to join and really take the Big East's prestige down. If this was to happen, I see Mizzou jumping ship to the Big 10 to make it the Big 10*, Colorado and Utah going to the Pac 10**, and TCU joining the Big 12, somehow ridiculously put into the North division.

Other than that happening or the supposed 'super-conference' seismic shift where everything becomes a massive clusterf*ck, I don't think there will be a whole lot of change for a while.

* 10 = 16
    ** 10 = 12

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  12. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

Makes no sense. Then again, it is a RJ article.

Personally I'm on a RJ boycott. Sooner people stop clicking on his links/articles the sooner the Chron just might realize what a hack writer he is and fire his punk ass.

13. Yankee_In_TX

Yankee_In_TX Dance Lindsay!

While ND has scoffed us for years, there's apparently some kind of unrest with their bball conference so they may have to join a conference due to that.

Reported to me by a guy in my office as discussed on the Cowherd show.

14. pbat488

pbat488 gig 'em

Hey, I think that's John McClain's source!!!

15. WolverineFan

WolverineFan Hall of Fame

Well they play half their games as yearly rivalry games and then the others are with service academies or teams they approach that will make serious bank if they accept an offer to play them.

16. gwallaia

gwallaia Moderator Staff Member

Dick Justice is a douche and he's proud of it.

17. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

yep, I don't click it anymore. I used to read it and comment, then I went to laughing to realizing that I do nothing but help him, If I click it.. so I don't even bother and I have been better ever since

18. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Abstinance from dick = good for the soul...

19. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but Justice is probably right.

If Nebraska and Mizzou leave, strength of schedule will take a hit across the board in whats left of the Big XII, and with Stoops' and Brown's reluctance to play tougher non-conference opponents an undefeated Big XII team could easily get shafted in favour of an undefeated SEC or Big 10 team. Add to that the fact that the Big 10 Network has been a huge success, and it's possible that UT could look for greener pastures.

What benefit does Texas get from beating up on Baylor, OSU, Tech and the aggies every year? The addition of TCU and another would help but the conference would be significantly weaker overall, with the North being an absolute joke.

I think that academics will keep Texas from joining the SEC, but a move of OU and UT to the Pac 10 would work.

All I know is that if Nebraska and Mizzou leave the Big XII the dominos will start to fall.

20. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

They were talking on 1560the game this afternoon that TCU and either BYU or Boise State could join the big 12. If that happened they could move Oklahoma to the North to help balance a bit...