Big find from small school? Jaguars like RB Rashad Jennings' potential

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Kaiser Toro, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

This will make me absolutely sick to my stomach if he turns out being the player that he is capable of being. People are miffed about Coffee, this is the guy we should be miffed about in my opinion.

http://www.jacksonville.com/sports/...small_school_jaguars_like_rb_rashad_jennings_

2. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

It would seem that he has a decent amount of "potential." However, his small school label had to be part of his descent on the draft list. His 4.6 40 reflected his slowness on the field. He wasn't going to beat anyone outside the tackles in the NFL, and there was a big question if his upright running style in college would allow him success against bigger, tougher NFL players in the between tackles style. I remember reading somewhere that he was considered "lazy" ala Travis Johnson.........not something that with all the other questions, would endear him to a high pick.

3. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/college/wb/183500

4. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

several of us stated before the draft "if available in the 3rd rd. Rashad Jennings should be a Texan" for him to slip means there was some undisclosed issue not mentioned for general consumption, shared by teams around the league until the reward outweighed the risk.

in regards to the Texans I beleive it had more to do with his football sense or intelligence in the game, that he did not fit into Kyles complicated zone scheme & is better suited to run from a simple I formation. call it just a hunch but if there is one thing that strikes me about the Texans RB's is there attitude & intelligence I think there is more to being successful in this offense than being physically large, same thing can be said for the OL, who have to work together in tandem.

probably a good pick for Jacksonville, we'll certainly find out won't we? also from what I read it would be a good idea to attack the football & try to force him to fumble & don't allow him to get into a rhythm. :specnatz:

5. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

That is certainly one narrative and plausible. Since I am not above offering narratives, I would offer that maybe our GM and scouts may underestimate heart in their prognostications and put to much emphasis on other character traits, skill sets and or positions (such as CB)

I am happy with our draft at the top, but I believe there is always room to take a late round flyer on a football player with heart and pedigree at a need position.

6. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

I remember that Jennings had a weight problem at Pitt, tipping the scales at a Daynesque 260 lbs. But, he got in shape at Liberty and performed.

The Texans picked up a similar type back in Arain Foster as an UDFA. Foster has good size and good hands, like Jennings. Both run upright and have spotty collegiate records. Though, Foster played in the SEC for 4 years.

During All-Access, Shanahan went on about how smart Foster was. How important is that for a RB to the Texans? Well, they were gaga over Glen Coffee and he had the highest Wonderlic score among RBs at the combine. So, maybe Jennings smarts were in question? Still, I don't see how it has that much to do with the zone scheme. There are only 4 plays and the RB only needs to make one read and go. I think it has everything to do with pass protection and picking up blitzers. Something Jennings saw little of at Liberty.

Vinny likes this.
  7. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

You know, I almost forgot Dayne getting kicked in the ass by Coughlin for coming in preseason at around 275. Somehow, Dayne managed to get his wieght down to the 230s at season opener. He always seemed to be battling to keep his weight in line........memories............:whip:

8. cuppacoffee

cuppacoffee Resident Grouch

"Some teams scout the school rather than the player," said Jaguars general manager Gene Smith, who said the Jaguars were surprised he was still on the board in the seventh round."

But not suprised he was on the board in the sixth round?

:coffee:

9. Polo

Polo Guest

I thinm if Jennings were to have gone undrafted he may have been considered as an UDFA signee....'

I dunno and I guess we'll never know...

10. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Exactly. I still think it was a mistake not to draft this kid. Yes he ran a 4.6 (who cares), Slaton reported ran as high as a 4.5 and look how he turned out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEpJMNzBZ1k

The guy reminds me so much of Marion Barber......he's physical and tough as hell, he pushes piles, and he ALWAYS falls forward for positive yardage....it was a mistake not to draft him, he would've been the perfect compliment to Steve Slaton.

11. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

I like Foster and I'm rooting for him, but the only thing him and Jennings really have in common is their size. Rashad is more physical, plays faster, and doesn't run as upright as Foster......Rashad breaks alot more tackles while Foster seems to go down easier.

12. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Just how much Big South football do you watch?

I'm not knocking Liberty, my niece went there on a volleyball scholarship. But it's not the SEC. Maybe, Jennings looked faster and broke more tackles because the guys at Stony Brook and Coastal Carolina aren't as big and fast as the guys at Florida and Alabama.

I guess it's the NFL's opinion that counts. Jennings is a 7th round pick. Foster's an undrafted free agent. That's very comparable.

13. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Yes I know all about the "small school knock", I'm just saying that their running styles aren't very comparable. The only thing they really have in common is their size. Rashad flat out just tries to run people over while Arian is more of a cutter who tries to make people miss.

What ever caused Jennings to drop like he did it probably doesn't have anything to do with his ability as a player (the guy was productive as hell year in and year out), there must be some attitude flags somewhere.

14. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

While it does really suck that we not only could've picked him up late it hurts more he went to a division rival where he has a chance to make an impact behind MJD.

That said, I think we're incredibly lucky to have landed Johnson and Foster as UDFA. I really think both have the ability to make the squad and have running styles that fit what we need as a team. I think we could very well see our most intense TC this year. There's a spot open at LB and a lot of talent to fill the void, there'll be several spots at RB available, Jacoby will more or less be battling for a spot on a pretty stacked WR corps, and it will interesting to see if Rex Grossman can stick as out 3rd QB(I hope so oddly).

15. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

Exactly what I thought.

I hope he fails and then succeeds with another team. Preferrably outside the division.