Big concern on offense!

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by badboy, Sep 3, 2011.

1. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I have plenty of concerns on defense but Wade says Don't Worry Be Happy!
    Still leery, but for now let's look at the other side of the ball. I am very happy overall with the O. and can see it being better than last season but..

Jacoby Jones needs to have a very good not just average year imo. He is probably my greatest concern barring injuries of course to Oline and even then Butler can handle LT & RT. I just cannot figure this player out. I had projected him to have a great year last season playing off AJ, now I just hold my breath when on the field. Will be interesting to see the new Johnson with some reps with first stringers & if JJ does not come prepared to step up he could move down the chart.

2. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

Our 4th or so option on offense is a BIG concern of yours? You have all-world in AJ, far above average in OD, and a solid 3rd in Walter. At RB, you have Foster, Ward and Tate. Barring injury to our OL, we are officially locked and loaded on offense. My biggest concerns are on special teams and, to a degree, defense.

3. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Thread title says "biggest concern on offense". I am leaning towards a 15-1 record if defense is top 10-12. So yeah, a WR who can conceivably average 4-5 balls thrown his way & usually those will be downfield a ways is a concern. Call it nit picking if you want, but then try to imagine if JJ could get 60 receptions and avg 20 yards.

4. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

60 receptions at 20 yds a piece?? That's 1200 yds. from a back up.

5. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

This is what I projected for JJ last season and AJ, OD and Foster/Tate/Ward would allow JJ to get some yardage if he can hold the ball. I think he can get open. Didn't he catch a pass late in one game that brought us to red zone and then Schaub threw an INT? Can't remember which game but believe I'm correct on the details. I like that line up anywhere on field and same when Walter is in rather than JJ.

6. Ndevine7

Ndevine7 All Pro

thats high hopes from a player whose never had 600 yards. Id be real happy if he could get around 800

7. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I'd be happy also but think JJ has talents to beat out Walter but just has not done so. This is why I was surprised Texans got him back.

8. SteveSlaton20

SteveSlaton20 All Pro

our offense need to start games better. last year we were terrible starting off games, and our defense being so terrible didn't help.

9. BullNation4Life

BullNation4Life Hall of Fame

Only thing on offense you should be concerned about is how bad is Foster's hammy....

You know your team has come along way when fans are concerned about the 4th and 5th WR on their team.....

Feels kinda nice...

10. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

mmmm. ok

11. BullNation4Life

BullNation4Life Hall of Fame

I believe you are thinking the Baltimore game and it was Andre that caught the late TD and JJ that caught the 2 pt conversion, THEN Schaub throws the pick....

The 2 pt conversion looked like it was meant for AJ...

12. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Big concern on offense!

Would be if Matt Schaub can stay healthy the whole season :headhurts:

13. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

I agree, JJ has great potential if he could just catch the F'n football. Every year we have such high hopes for him and think that he's going to mature and turn the corner and be the great WR that we all know he can be. I still hold my breath every time he takes a punt return and find myself saying, just go down and hold onto the ball. JJ has had more than enough time to mature and become that great WR. This should be a make it or break it year for him, if he sucks then we should look elsewhere for his replacement. You can only invest so many years in a guy before you have to move on.

Other offensive concerns would be depth on the O-line. If our starters go down this could be a very long season.

14. Norg

Norg -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

im concerned with

-Eric winston ... on how hes going to suck and then preceed to be on radio week on how he needs to get better
    -Can Brisles stay healthy ???? knocks on wood
    -how good will our FB play be
    -Will Foster be rdy for wk1 ????? !!!!!!!!!!!! thats the big one imo

15. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

Offensive line depth and wr depth are scary right now. If Meyers went down we are hosed same for any wideout.

16. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

that's actually the least of our worries. We don't want to rush him, which could lead to an issue that could nag him all year long. Or an issue that keeps him from performing at 100% for 5 or 6 weeks, ala Revis.

If sitting him two weeks will help ensure we will put this thing behind us & he's 100% week 3, then I'll sit him two weeks.

HJam72 likes this.
  17. prostock101

prostock101 Mr. Big

JJ will be JJ. Tease us with a circus catch and then......well, you know.

My only real concern is OLine depth. I know they said they wanted a 5th WR but honestly I don't see it being a big need. And even if AF is held out a couple weeks, Tate and Ward can certainly keep the defense honest while the Air Corps rips them a new one.

Oh, and our ST still suck......:gun:

18. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

OL depth is a big concern for me, also.
    I agree with TK on Foster. Sitting him for a couple of weeks would be the smart thing to do, and we all know how Kubiak likes to be "smart" with injuries.
    I worry about WR depth behind AJ every year. The big guy is what drives our offense, imo.

19. Trail.Blazr

Trail.Blazr All Pro

Will this mis-conception ever die?

AJ dropped a higher percentage of balls thrown to him than JJ last year.

Next....?

20. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

Have a link showing that?