Big Ben : Just A "Little Torn Rotator Cuff

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by CloakNNNdagger, Aug 1, 2012.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Steelers' Roethlisberger not worried about 'little' tear in rotator cuff

August 1, 2012 3:35 pm

Far from a little worry for a right-handed QB...........for the near future or the long term. Rotator cuff tears do not tend to ever heal spontaneous. But they do tend to extend.

2. disaacks3

disaacks3 Site Contributor

It's priceless that this was the Advertisement on top when I opened this thread...

[​IMG]

3. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Yup. As I believe we discussed one time I tore mine 18 years ago with essentially no progress since.

For those who aren't familiar this is particularly troubling for any kind of throwing. Mine is on my right hand side. I can pull a 70lb bow just fine but I can't throw a football or baseball hard. At least in my case the throwing motion is by far the one most affected. CnD can correct me if the terminology is wrong but it can also result in a chronic arthritic ache in the shoulder.

4. CloakNNNdagger

You are correct. If significant tears are left alone, they often lead to arthritis, due to continual rubbing and inflammation of the unbalanced joint. On the other hand, as we get older, arthritic changes that are many times accompanied by joint irregularities such as bone spurs can actually secondarily saw/cut through the rotator cuff structures.

5. GP

GP Go Texans!

Did that one mine too.

Google is watching us. Always watching us...

6. GP

GP Go Texans!

I was going to make this claim a few weeks ago, but now that he's got a bad rotator cuff it makes it all the more certain:

This is the year the Steelers really decline. They eek'd it out in 2011 and then cratered vs. Broncos (of all teams) and I think 2012 they don't make the playoffs.

New offense, aching Big Ben, no run game. They're going to suffer.

7. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

Is surgery not an option? Just curious why over 18 years there is no progress, are there no other options?

8. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

I was told it was a just live with it and avoid the motions that aggravate it the most injury. The doc said sometimes on pro athletes they would attempt surgery but my impression was he was skeptical of that and he certainly was not recommending it (and if he wouldn't recommend it insurance goes right out the door). Look at Big Ben - no surgery for him and he was told it doesn't heal.

9. Texn4life

Texn4life Hall of Fame

I'm in the same boat. My mind tells me I can still throw like I used to, but my arm kills me when I try to throw too much. Can't do push ups without a lot of pain, and it even hurts after weed eating in the yard for a while. Frustrating but it is what it is.

10. drs23

drs23 Veteran

No more VIP Suite so back to the recliner
    Been (or is it Ben:D) following this thread and what you guys have said bears out in a situation I'm personally aware of. A fellow I play cards with, retired 68 YOA had one shoulder done, waited a couple of months then the Doc had him come back to do the other. That was two years ago and he says he should have just left well enough alone. His ROM is diminished now and the pain is even worse.

Lesson learned for me. My right shoulder wakes me up at night when I sleep on it the wrong way. I've learned how to turn over and go back to sleep. Then I do it again. :mad:

11. CloakNNNdagger

You might be interested in this article re. QBs and rotator cuff surgery.

QBs Not the Same After Injury, Surgery
    By Len Pasquarelli
    ESPN.com

Although surgical techniques continue to evolve, studies have surprisingly shown no clear-cut outcome advantage to scope vs. open approaches. Rather, as is the case with many surgeries, it is the surgeon that will make the difference. But one thing to keep in mind in the case of a patient such as a QB is the longer a tear is left unattended, the greater the chance of extending the damage even to other shoulder structures. Furthermore, repair of partial tears typically are very strong and predictable results in terms of pain relief, improvement in strength and function. Compared to full rotator cuff tears, in a repair of a partial rotator cuff tear, there is less stress on the repaired tendon because the disruption of the tendon is incomplete. This is advantageous for healing, and greatly lessens the possibility of the repair failing.