Bethel Johnson signed

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by MightyTExan, Jul 9, 2007.

1. MightyTExan

MightyTExan It's go time!

Brando likes this.
  2. real

real Guest

Was just about to make this thread...

Don't know what it means for Mathis but it's definitely not a positive for him..

3. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

Good to see some speed added to the WR Corps. Too bad we still have AJ and a bunch of 3rd WRs/Slot Guys and no real number 2.

4. Brando

Brando Site Contributor

Hopefully he can make the team. I like the speed. Hey if it works out we will have Johnson&Johnson.:redface:

5. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

Just throwing another body at the problem and hoping for something.

Overalls and Andrew6 like this.
  6. TexansLucky13

TexansLucky13 53d Signal Batt

Good to have another Aggie on the team. Naturally, I like the signing, so long as the price was right (which it was, I am sure).

7. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

Houston Texans, home away from home (Texas A & M)

8. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Mathis should not be cut before training camp unless a medical report rules him out. He should be treated like any other injured player especially one going to the pro bowl the last season he played (2 years ago).

9. Andrew6

Andrew6 Site Contributor

::: SIGH ::: sadly that is all we ever do. CAN'T, WON'T spend the money on good young players. I just hope that we get some good out of our rookies this next year.

10. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Saving a roster spot for a Special Teamer who made the Pro Bowl two years ago, during his rookie year, is not a strong value proposition to keep him in my opinon. The more I chew on this, the more I would be behind his release should he be unable to perform at the same level as a KR, and as a viable WR.

11. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Kubiak has said that he isn't going to assume anyone whose been injured is coming back from that injury. There was some of that going on last year, and it bit them in the posterior.

So, he's making it hard to make the team by creating more competition in camp.

That is an obvious change from last year. What I want to know is what steps they are taking to reduce the numbers on IR. They said in the offseason they were going to look at that issue, but I never heard what things if any, they are doing about that.

12. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

Interesting signing. I know they wanted another veteran who has seen NFL action. I bet this rules out McCardell signing here now.

As interesting as i thought the 3rd RB battle would be WR might well end up being just as good. Davis is looking to regain form again. Walters has a slight edge from the little showcasing time he got last year. Mathis should be healthy enough to compete. Johnson adds some intrigue to the group now. Oh yeah we drafted Jacoby Jones who no doubt will make the roster one way or another. This could not bode well for a guy like David Anderson.

Anyone know if we'll carry 4 or 5 receivers on the roster?

RK and PR will be interesting too. If Mathis is healthy he should be in... I don't think we'd release him before TC. That'd just be stupid, if he's healthy, to deny him a shot at least. It won't take him long to find a home either after we release him. I just hope he stays out of our division if that comes true.

13. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

Let me be fair to the Texans. If you have limited funds (not discussing the why at the moment) there really is not another legitiamte way to improving your squad. Not predicting this for the Texans, but the 1st Patriots Superbowl winner had a ton of these no name signings where the staff there was better at placing people in the correct roles than other teams. If the 2006 regular season is any indication, the current administration seems to have good feel for doing similiar things with lower level signings.

Texans_Chick likes this.
  14. Hagar

Hagar Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Y'all don't seen to be too happy about this signing, but don't kid yourself, Bethel Johnson has some skills. Granted, being an Aggie, I've followed his career and have been disapointed so far. But, if he applies himself, he could easily make this team and be a solid contributer.

If nothing else, Mathis will have to look over his shoulder this Spring.

15. real

real Guest

I like the signing...

I think the guy has some skills and can make some plays for us. I also like the fact that he played a role for a superbowl winning team...Despite the over-stated factor of experience, I truly believe his experience will rub off on a couple of guys....He knows about being an underdog and winning...He knows about being on a team that knows how to consistently put up W's....He didn't have a great role on those Patriot teams, but he's atleast been around it enough to know what it takes, and what things to steer clear of...

16. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

Who should they have signed this past offseason? Oh yeah let me add that this is Smith's first full year with the team and there was not much cap room because so doofus over spent or players.

17. DBCooper

DBCooper Outlaw

Mathis should be worried.

If Bethel can be a viable KR/PR and have the ability to play WR, Mathis will be gone. Mathis needs to stay healthy and contribute as a wideout to make this team. Jacoby alone makes it hard on Mathis to keep his job, now there's 2.

I like Mathis and I hope he has been practicing his route running and recieving skills.

I like the added competition. Maybe this can make our herd of number 3's play hard and someone becomes a real number 2.

18. the wonger need food

the wonger need food Hall of Fame

There's nothing to not like about this signing. Nothing was given up to get him and he's cheap. We definitely have the best competition at the WR spot in our short history.

I think we need to keep everything in perspective. Remember that we opened last season with Edell Sheperd and Derrick Lewis active at WR. And our kick returners were a mix between those 2 guys with Roc Alexander, Wali Lundy and Dexter Wynn. B. Johnson is a huge upgrade over all of those guys.

19. the wonger need food

the wonger need food Hall of Fame

Well... let's look at the top of the 2007 WR FA class...

Stallworth
    Lelie
    Stokely
    Curtis
    Bennett
    Washington

We went after Lelie who ended up getting overpaid in SF. The other guys are average at best and were all overpaid by another team.

20. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Hard for me to post this (an Aggie thing), but I remember some of this baggage about Bethel Johnson from before:
    Link:
    Bethel_Johnson