Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Best high motor free agent RDEs?

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
I think one of our biggest needs heading into next season is a high motor player like KVB on the DL. A guy who plays with lots of intensity and plays to the whistle every down. I think if we had a guy like this on our DL it would help our pass rush tremendously as well as elevate the play of everyone around him.

This is why one of our biggest needs imo is a high motor RDE. Who is available in free agency that fits this description? Jared Allen and Terrell Suggs come to mind but I doubt we could get either of them so what about lesser known guys.

gtexan02

Working?
Our DL just needs time to develop. We have a lot of young guys out there who are finally coming into their own.

Mario is the every down guy we wanted him to be.
TJ is finally playing up to his draft status.
A. Okoye is young but already showing signs of success
Weaver/Kalu/Zgonia bring veteran depth and the ability to consitently play their position at a decent level

We need to focus on other aspects of the team IMO. We have put enough effort into the DL. Lets let the coaches work with the kids and see what they can do with a full season of playing together

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Our DL just needs time to develop. We have a lot of young guys out there who are finally coming into their own.

Weaver/Kalu/Zgonia bring veteran depth and the ability to consitently play their position at a decent level

We need to focus on other aspects of the team IMO. We have put enough effort into the DL. Lets let the coaches work with the kids and see what they can do with a full season of playing together
Sorry gtexan but im gonna have to disagree. The DE position opposite Mario is an obvious liability. Mario is more suited for LE so it makes sense we move him there full time and replace Weaver (and his huge contract) with a high motor player who will get after the ball every down. Weaver generates absolutely no pressure when he's in the game and his run stopping ability is not as good as advertised in a 4-3 defense, especially to make up for his lack of pass rushing ability.

TJ is not living up to his draft status either. Maybe I have different expectations but when we draft someone with a mid 1st round pick I expect them to do a lot more than be a rotational DT at best by this time in their career.

gtexan02

Working?
Weaver was never advertised as a pass rusher. I don't know why people expect him to play the pass so effectively, which is why he is substituted on 3rd downs and in obvious passing situations.
With those limitations, he still had 40 tackles this year. Tackles don't tell the whole story, but as a DE, the only place you can make your tackles are at or around the LOS. Thats the most tackles in his career, and right on pace with how he's always played. So I dont really know why people would be surprised

You can't look at it as "by this time in their career."
TJ has had limited time in the new shceme. He was forced into a 3-4 DE position and then got some bad line coaches. Look how much he improved this year alone.

We already have a significant portion of our salary cap alloted to the DL. We have more 1st round picks there than anywhere else.
There are VERY few affordable free agents, and if we are going to spend the big bucks on someone, it better be secondary or OL.

DE may be a big hole in your opinion, but equally important are LT, S, and potentially CB. We have spent the last few years working on our DL and have finally gotten a decent group together. Its time to start focusing our attention elsewhere

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
So if Anthony Weaver cant rush the passer he should be a juggernaut against the run for the kind of money he's getting correct? Well that's not the case. We can cut him and get a high motor DE for cheaper I think, KVB wasn't very expensive when the Titans found him in AZ.

Your excuses for TJ are very similar to most people's excuses for Carr the first 5 years.

Is TJ playing better? Yes.

Is he playing like the # 16 overall pick? NO!!!

I'm not saying we get rid of TJ but if you dont think getting a high motor DE in the KVB mold (I think Paul Spicer is available...shouldn't cost an arm and a leg) and cutting ties with Weaver wouldn't help our entire DL than methinks your thinking is flawed.

ATX

Hall of Fame
I agree, TJ is not living up to his draft status, I mean he was the 1st DT picked that year even if it was # 16. I don't mind him on the team, but he should be a backup, not a starter.

Hottoddie

Veteran
Justin Smith (RDE) - Cincinnati

Although, the real FA plum for us in Cincinnati's lineup is

Landon Johnson (OLB).

Pairing LJ with DeMeco would make for a nice 1-2 punch at linebacker for us.

gtexan02

Working?
Im sure it would help our team to get a guy like Vanden Bosch, but if you think its easy to just pick up a guy who can get you 12 sacks and 60 tackles a year, you should just go back to playing madden.

If you want a guy like that who is already proven, expect to pay record salaries. Nate Clements last year wasn't that good of a CB, but he scored the highest contract ever. Its all relative. The best DE available this year will get the highest contract ever given to a DE. If a guy like KVB was available, he'd be the best guy available. Therefore by your logic, if we want a guy like KVB, we are going to have to spend pretty much our entire free agent budget.

I think we finally have enough playmakers on our DL to fill the rest with role players. You don't need stars at every position to win. If you look at some of the top defensive teams in the league (Pittsburgh, Tampa, etc) you see that not ALL of them have a defensive line made up of superstars.

Williams is our 10+ sacks, 60 tackles guy.
Okoye should be good for 5-8 sacks and 40 takles a year

I think the problems we've had all year was injury. Weaver had that shoulder, TJ was out for a few games, Okoye hit the rookie wall. Add to that our secondary woes, and you have a tough job for our DL.

Its tough for DBs to get good coverage if the DL isn't providing pressure, but its even tougher for the DL to provide ANY pressure if the QB can pick apart the secondary with ease.

Smith said himself that his schemes were limited this year because every week he had to teach a new guy to be a starter.

I am of the belief that our defense will be MUCH improved with a little consistency. I'd love to pick up a guy who can give us a little extra pass rush every once in a while, but I definately don't think that should be our #1 priority.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
RJ if we could sign Spicer, Trufant & M. Moore in FA,then draft Otah, Charles Godfrey & Cody Wallace I would be a happy man.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
I think justin tuck from giants will be free. I think suggs might get franchise tag as well as allen. a option might be kearse once he's released. he should be fully recovered from the injury last season. weaver has to take a paycut. kalu is good depth as well as zgonia. I like big grady as backup.

fikster

Rookie
I hope we don't spend any money in free agency on a RDE. We have spent enough money on that and have a good core. We need to bolster the secondary, LB's and O-line in free agency. We might even need to get a D-Coordinator who can scheme better and use the talent we do have appropriately.

TEXANRED

Texan-American

I am sorry, but I will have to disagree too. TJ is a third year player and he is what he is, depth. We need someone who can play his position and take on the center and guard and thats just not him.

Weaver is not a 43 DE, Cochran is a situational pass rusher.

I do agree that we have spent time and money on the DLine but we have gone to far to stop now, you don't quite a thousand mile journey on the last mile.

DLine and LB's are what we need.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
You're acting like I said get someone on a similar level to KVB gtexan and that is not the case. I said someone with a similar skill set. Do you think teams knew KVB would be the player he is when he left AZ? NO, or else he would've gotten A LOT more money. I'm saying we get a player with a similar skill set, a high motor player that doesn't quit on plays. Richard Smith has proven that he doesn't have to break the bank to find key players. I'm simply asking for some names of high motor RDEs.

What is wrong with bringing in a new face on the DL? Especially one with a high motor that wont quit on a play? But hey, if you're satisfied with the DL we're fielding now and want to continue waiting for the DL to "gel" like Capers/Casserly said we should do with the OL than im just gonna have to disagree with you hoss.

b0ng

Bad Hombre
Im sure it would help our team to get a guy like Vanden Bosch, but if you think its easy to just pick up a guy who can get you 12 sacks and 60 tackles a year, you should just go back to playing madden.
I don't know if you actually know what you're talking about, or if you're just typing to hear yourself type but KVB was not signed for a huge amount of money.

rotoworld.com said:
2/17/2006: Signed a four-year, $22 million contract. The deal included a $4.75 million signing bonus. 2007: $3.64 million, 2008: $4.48 million, 2009: $5.32 million (club option), 2010: Free Agent
We payed more money for Anthony Weaver. Don't think that good players cannot be had for a little cheaper. If we have our eye on a D-lineman and he can be had for cheaper than a 4 mil cap hit, why wouldn't we if we think he can improve the line?

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
I don't know if you actually know what you're talking about, or if you're just typing to hear yourself type but KVB was not signed for a huge amount of money.

We payed more money for Anthony Weaver. Don't think that good players cannot be had for a little cheaper. If we have our eye on a D-lineman and he can be had for cheaper than a 4 mil cap hit, why wouldn't we if we think he can improve the line?
Why didn't you post that before my long post? lol

Methinks gtexan should go back to playing Madden if he doesn't think that good FAs can be found without breaking the bank...

b0ng

Bad Hombre
Why didn't you post that before my long post? lol

Methinks gtexan should go back to playing Madden if he doesn't think that good FAs can be found without breaking the bank...
Was too busy listening to Jacksonville give Pittsburgh the business.

Rashean Mathis is hot.

I am going to tick off some people, I say pay Jared Allen big bucks, cut Weaver, he plays the positions we have drafted the last two 1st round picks also play. Casserly missed again in FA. Nice guy, but he is being paid pass rusher money to be an average run stopper, I say only spend pass rusher money on pass rushers.

Now if you really want a DL, not only do you need to sign Allen, but you need to go offer Haynesworth a large stack of cash.

If he turns you down a realistic signing is Jovan Haye, he can be had by signing him to an offer sheet the Bucs can't match and giving up a 6th round pick, he is worth a 6th rounder.

I also know Allen is most likely franchised, so a back up plan is Travis LaBoy, or as mentioned earlier Suggs.

Hottoddie

Veteran
Maybe Seattle will take a 3rd for him? :elle:
A 3rd is way too high. I was thinking more along the lines of a 5th, or later.

Everyone,

Guys like Jared, Haynesworth, Mathis, & KVB will always get tagged or signed before they hit free agency. Unless there are negative things going on behind the scenes, teams just don't let that kind of talent get away. That'd be like us letting Mario go & that ain't gonna' happen. We need to focus on the more obscure players & backups. Along that note, here's a very obscure player (Eric Bakhtiari) from San Diego University in the upcoming draft that we might get in the 5th to 7th round.

http://condraft.com/database/pioneer/san-diego-university/eric-bakhtiari/index.html

Overview

Eric attended Burlingame (CA) High where he tallied 76 tackles and 14.5 sacks as a senior, leading his club to a 12-1 mark. He earned 1st Team All League, All-County, and Co-Defensive MVP, and also lettered in track. In College he was a beast at the IAA level and was named to numerous all-American teams as well as PFL Defensive Player of the Year following his stellar senior campaign.

Strengths

Dominant pass-rusher at the IAA level who just keeps coming. Relentless. Great motor. Never gives up on a play. Doesn't walk around if he thinks the play will be nowhere near him. Great hand usage. Multiple pass rush moves. Holds the point very well against IAA tackles. Solid tackler. Slides through gaps. Makes himself small. Practically unblockable in many games, especially over the past two season. Has gotten bigger and better every year. May still have some growth potential left. Technically sound warrior who wants it. Explosive. Surprisingly good athlete. Has the same level of potential as fellow Californian IAA DE, Chris Gocong, had coming out of college.

Weaknesses

Not real big. Not exceptionally strong, and can get stronger. Straight line speed does not jump out at you. Can get be caught in trash, and needs to do a better job protecting his legs from the chop. Slightly over-aged. May have maxed his potential. Does not really project that well to OLB the way Gocong did.

Projection Priority

UDFA or late-round surprise selection.