Bennie Joppru

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Wild.Bill, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Wild.Bill

Wild.Bill Rookie

Has anyone heard how Joppru's rehab is coming along? I'm curious to see if he'll finally be able to get healthy for this season.

2. Meloy

Meloy Hall of Fame

It has been very quiet. I understand it takes some time to recover from this type of injury, but he should be ready by training camp. I say if he doesn't look great, he should be cut before season begins.

3. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

I havent heard a thing in ages .....

I think they should plan to play the season Without Joppru period .... If he can contribute something to the team its a bonus ....I'd hate to start another season counting on him to get serious playing time and end up on the PuP again :twocents:

4. barzilla

barzilla Veteran

I hate to say this but why not just cut him now? Yes, it won't save anything cap wise, but at least you go into the draft/rest of free agency knowing he won't be there. Now, we have this delusion that maybe he won't miss a FOURTH CONSECUTIVE season to a freak injury.

5. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

I've heard his rehab has been successful; hopefully he won't reinjure his knee/groin/something else.

6. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I forget the on air personality but one of our radio sportstalk guys was gushing about his size since he has seen him at the Texans weight room working out on a regular basis (this was a couple of weeks ago). I hope Joppru can make it back. It would be a great story but I won't hold my breath. I’m pulling for him. He didn’t rip his groin off his bone on purpose, and the knee injury was a freak injury.

7. GP

GP Go Texans!

Does it bother anybody that the Texans are paying the guy for three years of not playing or even remotely having any chance whatsoever of getting onto the playing field?

I know that bad things happen, and I'm not blaming Joppru. I'm moreso blaming Texans management for not giving the guy a buy-out or something to just move on.

Does anyone here SERIOUSLY think that after those devastating injuries...that he'll be able to play in a very physical NFL and not get re-injured in those hot spots within about a three-game span of time?

Shake your head at me. Flame me. Send me that nastily-worded private message that calls me a s.o.b. I am just tired of the story, and I'm wanting to move on before Houston Texans and Bennie Joppru become part of one of the weirdest sports trivia questions of all time: Which NFL team paid a draft pick for four straight years of zero playing time, only to cut the player afterwards?

8. kcwilson

kcwilson All Pro

This may be the only time I have ever said this...

I don't want a B.J.

9. GP

GP Go Texans!

"This may be the only time I have ever said this... I don't want a B.J." -- kcwilson

:shocked :wow: :survivor:

10. Erratic Assassin

Erratic Assassin All Pro

Just in time for his annual season-ending injury.

11. pskinny

pskinny Veteran

I heard it too. It was McClain and Granado (I think) talking about it in the morning a couple of weeks ago. Both said he is a gym rat, and that he's gotten noticeably bigger since last year.

Don't give up on the guy yet. I'm sure he feels worse about his injuries than anybody else. He wants to play, no doubt. The question is whether he has the heart to do what it takes to make it back from the adversity he's faced the past three years.

12. Tulip

Tulip Hall of Fame

Wasn't there some discussion a couple of months ago about Capers' practice philosophy contributing to the injuries of players? Perhaps we'll see less injuries this year.

13. 4Texans

4Texans Hall of Fame

After the season was over, someone on 610 was saying that Joppru was down to like 205-210 LBS. Got a lot of bulk to add back.....

Watch him come back, and have his one break-out out year and the Texans sign him to a monster contract. Ha!

14. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

I understand the frustration..I really holding a sliver of hope he makes it back. If he is re-injured I think it will be the end of the road for him and the Texans, make it or break it.

15. Meisterman

Meisterman Veteran

Maybe Barry Bonds can help Bennie Jop-Who bulk up and increase his head size :drool:

16. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I'm just the opposite of you gpshafer. I'm wanting to know if the Texans and Joppru can make it four straight. I just don't think that's possible. If it does happen and Joppru makes it four straight years of season ending injuries then I know the answer to a great trivia question, Bennie got paid for four years of trying and rehab, and at this point the Texans aren't out anything more than they would be if they cut him two weeks ago.

Why not bring back Joppru for one more shot? The damage is done and the pick is long gone.

17. Texans Pride

Texans Pride Hall of Fame

Does anyone remember when the injury happened last year, the idea of Joppru juicing was brought up?

Something to the effect that the injuries that he had sustained were areas that happen with use of steroids, and the fact that he had been so injury prone.

This was just a few opinions, I didn't read anything about this from any news source, so please, don't run wild with this as factual information. I was bringing it up so see if anyone remembered this being said.

18. Wild.Bill

Wild.Bill Rookie

You know Joppru was very good a Michigan. He was never injured and the Texans had a lot of hopes for him. His injuries have been freak, to say the least. I'm also in his corner and hope that he can make a come back. If he can play to his abilities, we'll have a very above average TE.

19. TexansTrueFan

TexansTrueFan Hall of Fame

a few days ago i didnt have a good feeling about him, but today for some odd reason i think he'll make it, i feel that his string of bad luck injuries is over, well i hope so anyways.

20. kbourda

kbourda Hall of Fame

Are you kidding? This is a board where it's ok for players to underperform their contract no matter what. It seems we are in the minority cause I totally agree with you. Joppru. Good guy, i'm sure great guy. But this is a results business.