Bennett, White and Walker

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Spike, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Spike

Spike Veteran

There has been a lot of talk about giving more opportunities to Bennett to play the CB2 spot. Coming off an injury, I think Bennett played well in live game action yesterday and, like all other rookies, has a chance to improve his play with every real snap that he gets.

I think the same opportunity should be given to our young RB and Center. I am not suggesting that either of these guys will be an improvement over the current players, but I am not sure that we lose much by giving them an opportunity.

We saw last year that our running game was not as productive with Flannagan at center and the same appears to be true this year. Kubiak gave Chris White a lot of compliments in the pre-season, so I would love to see what he can do in live game action this year. At 2.5 yards/ carry, all avenues should be explored.

2. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

No offense, but that is the reason why those guys wont be on the field.

3. real

real Guest

You guys do not want to see Walker....

4. maddogmrb

maddogmrb All Pro

True .... it is sooo exciting to watch Dayne run into the pile in front of him and fall down.

5. real

real Guest

Im sure watching the RB look completely lost and confused and physically overmatched would be better ?

6. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

I completely understand where you're coming from. I'm not one of those who thinks that Darius is the answer here but I do have to wonder why we're paying him if he's really as bad as you seem to imply. Might as well let him earn his dollars and see if he has anything on a first and ten carry in their territory (past the 50 yard line in case he's got fumbilitis).

That's just how I see it really. Dayne isn't working. In fact, Dayne is the one who crushed Spencer's leg last season. It seems that we're paying a huge price by letting Dayne try to imitate a mack truck. It's about time to start reaching for straws at this juncture in the season. We're already paying Walker so might as well see what he has to offer in a game.

7. real

real Guest

So you basically want Kubes to experiment ? And at the same time win games ?

If they see the guy in practice everyday and have not moved him up yet despite all of our RB problems I think that speaks volumes...

This coaching staff seems far from the kind of staff that would puprosely limit the opprotunities of the players they think can help them...

8. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

But they are just coaches. What do they know?

Obviously fans know more about Walker than his own position coach would right?

9. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

Well the way that I see it, Dayne's not helping. He's hampered our progress in fact. How would experimenting with Walker hurt us outside of fumblitis. Outside of fumbling, the worst he can do is put up Dayne-like numbers.

I'm not saying that they're purposely limiting anyone. I just see a little bit of Bob McNair in Kubiak. Dayne and Gado pretty much garnered a lot of praise from Kubiak and they're pretty much... his doing if you will. He's going to hold out as long as he can and keep them trucking. Kubiak has struck out bad with running backs. Even as a bandaid option. Vernand Morency continues to spank Kubiak in the face everytime Gado gets the ball. Maybe he playing Dayne hard subconciously similar to Kubiak refusing to give in with David Carr.

This organization is all about saving face.

10. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

No, he could do a LOT worse. At least Dayne can block, and pick up a blitz.

I think that is what real is referring to.

11. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

I understand that but I'm talking about him actually carrying the ball. Dayne can always go in on passing plays and block.

I see what you're trying to get at but I don't necessarily think that it could be a whole lot worse. It's why I don't get paid to do a coaching job. I'm trying to better my knowledge by hearing all sides no matter how inane it may be.

12. real

real Guest

He could get Schaub killed, or get killed himself...

Or he could just not be up to the task of fulfilling his role as an NFL running back...

Atleast with Gado and Dayne they aren't giving the game away...And atleast they aren't getting themselves or others hurt...

That's like putting a 14 year old on the field with 18 yr. olds before he's ready...

Atleast the 16 and 17 yr olds can fight back and not get hurt while playing...

13. Giant Tiger

Giant Tiger Hall of Fame

Smiths Falls, Heart of the Rideau Canal-UNESCO Wor
    When will Ahman Green be back? Dayne yesterday looked like Lundy last year against the Eagles.

14. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

Of course I am sure the coaches would keep a player on the practice squad who can not do anything and is completely worthless and cant run cant block and cant catch. I mean no player on the Texans has ever spent time on a practice squad.

Only players who would get people killed are on the practice squad.

15. real

real Guest

If he wasn't a liability or a possible upgrade he'd be on the team contributing.....

16. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

Then why keep him on the practice squad. That's my beef with this whole thing. I don't understand it. Cut him and put someone else who may have a future with this team on there.

17. Specnatz

I was being sarcastic. he may not be ready for the NFL but to say he is completely worthless like Real says, is obsered.

18. real

real Guest

Stop being foolish..

Not once did I say he was completely useless...I didn't even say he couldn't get better...

I basically said that he is not ready for this level and him not being ready may get him or someone else hurt and that is why you don't just throw players in for the sake of it....

Kubiak pretty much confirmed my sentiments...

:specnatz:

19. Specnatz

Sounds like you called him worthless to me but maybe we have different ideas of what worthless is. If he is going to get people killed that would pretty much mean he is worthless.

20. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

So do you think he has value and is worth paying to be on our practice squad? Does he have any kind of future here? Or is he just a body that we're required to have on the practice squad?