Bennet Becomes Leader Of Secondary

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by gary, Jun 6, 2009.

1. gary

gary Hall of Fame

Rookie cornerback Glover Quin has welcomed the advice coming from Fred Bennett. In practice, Bennett will tell him a technique he should tweak or how a drill should be run. In meetings, Bennett will ask some of the rookies questions, and often praises them when they execute something well on the field.

Now comfortable and more confident in the TexansÂ’ system, Bennett is working to spend some of his time helping those around him, similar to what Dunta Robinson did during BennettÂ’s first two seasons.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6457117.html

2. Ckw

Ckw Guest

Very cool. I really hope and expect to see a major improvement out of Bennet this season. He looked like the real deal his rookie season but went through the sophomore slump last year. I expect to see him take the next step this year.

3. gary

gary Hall of Fame

Who needs Donte if he is going to act out?

4. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

I seriously think this is Dunta's last season here. We'll franchise him and then he'll move on in FA next year. Houston has good depth at corner now with plenty of talented young prospects.

5. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    I don't think our secondary is very good yet so the texans definitely need Robinson. I think we all want to see a little less talk and a little more shutting down but his contract bs doesn't mean we don't need him. 10mil for a year pretty well explains necessity

6. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

I think most of the problems with the secondary last season has to do with the safeties (not to mention Dick Smith's 10 yard cushions)....not really the corners. If Bennett can elevate his play and return more to his rookie form, Dunta won't be missed that much. Plus if our front seven additions allow us to produce more preasure it's going to make the back 4 look that much better.

Dunta didn't really look all that hot either when he came back last season......he's not worth what he's asking for. Atleast not until he can prove he's fully back for a full season.

7. gary

gary Hall of Fame

If these guys start playing well I think there is enough talent to move on from Donte. He is already a bug and it might only get worse from here. Why take that chance? Now if he comes back this season and plays at the level he played at pre injury or anywhere close then talk about it. Produce and you shall receive. Close mouth and preform. Show the team why they should consider your terms while being out there with your football team on the football field.

Porky likes this.
  8. Ckw

Ckw Guest

Agreed. As another poster said, I really believe we will see a big difference with our secondary due to the move from the vanilla read and react defense. Also, we should be getting a much better pass rush which will also help our secondary significantly.

9. gary

gary Hall of Fame

Read and react no longer. I hope the D is agressive from here on out and I think they will be.

10. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Yeah we'll probably give up alot more big plays (but whats the difference in giving up a big play or being slowly bled to death on a 12-13+ play drive?), but we'll also FORCE alot of big game changing plays on defense....and that's something we didn't do last year.

Under Dick Smith this team basically ran a preseason shell defense throughout the entire season.

11. gary

gary Hall of Fame

I am ready to see the changes that have been made or are being made this offseason under the new DC. Donte hasn't shown anyone anything yet he was ok when he came back last season but not flashy by any means. He should be with his team right now at OTA's showing all of us why he should get more money.

12. IMA TEXAN

IMA TEXAN Rookie

If Dunta does not sign his franchise offer and the other guys look good in the first couple of preseason games, the Texans might pull back their franchise offer. OOPS! Bye-bye $9.97 million, hello $2 to 3 million.

13. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

I attribute much of Bennett's "slump" to the coaching he received under Hoke and the scheme of Richard Smith. The more Bennett was coached by these guys, the worse he became. Bennett has more talent that any CB signed to the roster, and I expect him to be one of the starting CBs on opening day.

14. gary

gary Hall of Fame

We'll see how it goes.

15. Big Poundcake

Big Poundcake Veteran

I really really like Bennet.

That being said, we need Dunta on the field.

16. gary

gary Hall of Fame

When he is on field.

17. Ckw

Ckw Guest

Glad to read that. What is it that you see in Bennett that makes you believe he "has more talent than any CB signed to the roster"? Makes me excited to read that, and I definitely agree he is very talented. Just curious what makes you give him such high accolades. :tiphat:

Oh and I definitely agree with you about Hoke and Dick Smith being the problem. Glad they are both gone.

18. gary

gary Hall of Fame

He showed signs in his rookie season. Tough and willing to learn and teaching other guys a thing or two at OTA''s like Donte used to do. A hard hitter. Saying things like try it this way or that way at OTA's and his physical nature on the football field. Bad coaching last season just led to his downfall last season. It was just his second season and he will continue to grow in the league.

Wolf likes this.
  19. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Well, I think he has good size. Decent speed. He can turn, run, and find the ball. I think what Bennett has over the rest of the current group is instincts to play the position. There's physical ability in the Texans secondary. Most are lacking the instincts to play the position.

When Bennett was put into the lineup as a rookie, he flourished. It was after another offseason and camp with Bennett and Smith where Bennett's play seemed to become mechanical. I think Bennett stepped up his play over the 2nd half of '08, though. Just around the time when the defense as whole began to improve. Maybe not a such a coincidence.

20. ubecool454

ubecool454 Hall of Fame

We do! It would be nice to see Dunta there with the guys but these are mandantory training sessions. I won't start to worry unless he is not there at the start of camp.