Ben Tate

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by stingray, Dec 11, 2011.

1. stingray

stingray Hall of Fame

Not trying to stir the pot. But I see Tate being way more explosive that Arian off the line. Arian looks hesistant when he gets the ball. Thoughts?

2. houstonspartan

houstonspartan Hall of Fame

My "thought" is that the crack you are smoking must be some heavy stuff. Ben is good, but he ain't no Arian. Nine times out of ten, the "hesitancy" you see out of Arian is him scoping out the field.

3. texanhead08

texanhead08 Hall of Fame

Teams key on Arian more when he is in there. Arian is fine the RB rotation isn't going to change.

4. Ryan

Ryan THIS YEAR

But Tate also ran himself right into a big hit which caused him to fumble...Teams stack the box alot more with Foster in the backfield it seems.

5. ThaShark316

ThaShark316 #28

I told my pops that I think defenses have a different focus when Foster is in, compared to Tate.

Check out the Ravens game. When Tate came in, it's like they relaxed a bit. Foster? It's time to ATTACK, ATTACK, ATTACK.

6. stingray

stingray Hall of Fame

Ok.. Nice intelligent conversation. Crack?

7. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Arian did look a step slower today. Not in a "Arian Foster lost a step! Oh Noes!" way but more like in a "I wonder if he's completely over that flu he had last week?" way.

8. Dre Mafia

Dre Mafia Noob

Yes Tate looks like the more explosive player.

9. TdotTexas2Step

TdotTexas2Step All Pro

Arian's not hesitant, he's patient. It's one of his biggest strengths, yet can also act as his achilles heel when defenses use it against him.

10. stingray

stingray Hall of Fame

Arian has better vision by far but Ben does have that explosiveness when he gets the ball.

11. TexCanada

TexCanada Hall of Fame

They are different kinds of runners. Foster is great because of his patience. Tate is great because he just powers forward. I have no doubt that they make each other better by giving the defenses different looks.

12. Scooter

Scooter Funky

i would like to see a more fluid use of backs. when foster's getting stuffed, lean on tate more. as essentially a first year back he still has the element of surprise that we saw with both slaton and foster ... let tate take advantage of the situation. when foster's hitting it, lean on him. i dont like that we force foster when it looks like it would be best for him to let tate open up the game a bit.

13. welsh texan

welsh texan Lest we forget

I love our running back situation right now. I think teams are stacking it against our running game at the moment, forcing Yates to make the throws. Which is cool, we still had over a hundred yards rushing today as well as some decent passing numbers to the RB's.

Lets not forget that Derrick Ward would be getting snaps on most other teams in the league, Foster and Tate is a special combination.

14. Titans Sux 72

Titans Sux 72 Veteran

Very well said. Once he makes his (AF) cut he is the fastest back in the league on a dime. Remember all the talk about Red Zone Offensive struggles earlier in the year, thats b/c AF was hurt. AF is an triple and home run hitter, Ben Tate is a singles and doubles hitter.

15. ziggy29

ziggy29 Hall of Fame

Not meaning to compare his talent to Barry Sanders, but Sanders was the same way. He got tackled for a loss as much as just about anyone in NFL history, but he also waited for stuff to develop so he could make a big gainer like just about no one.

16. GP

GP Go Texans!

I think the offensive line is dealing with injuries.

The pass pro and the run blocking are sort of waning a bit, as the weeks go by.

Let me say this, though: We still find a way to get the yards. I think Jax was the only real game where we couldn't run much of anything on a defense.

Winston has been patty-caking his man a lot, and it was really obvious on a pass play where he patty-cakes his guy and allows the man to stay in the play...Yates steps up into the pocket and Winston's man just chucks Eric and sacks Yates. His pass pro, IMO, is getting worse every week.

That's why I'm wondering if it's just from being worn out. 16 game season in the NFL is the most grueling in all of the major pro sports. There's nothing like it. It's just brutal on their bodies. Ask Schaub and Leinart. And Mario. And AJ. And Manning. And Vickers. Etc., etc.

Duane Brown, IIRC, had a really good day of pass pro.

17. Stemp

Stemp Brew Master

Tate hit the hole harder. Arian was waiting for the holes to open, but the OL was struggling.

18. PHAROAH

PHAROAH All Pro

Talent wise they are about even with Ben Tate probably a step faster in the 40 yard dash but they compliment each other well.

19. ArTex

ArTex Rookie

Foster's excellence in the pass receiving game makes him a versatile weapon and overall better player than Tate, in my opinion. Even if Tate is the better runner.

Foster's averaging 12.4 ypc as a running back, better than Daniels and Walter.