Ben Tate busts out of Kubiak’s doghouse

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by srrono, Aug 21, 2011.

1. srrono

srrono Hall of Fame

After a broken ankle wiped out his rookie season before it began and with a lingering hamstring problem keeping him off the field — to the dismay of coach Gary Kubiak — Texans running back Ben Tate finally has delivered.

Tate churned up 95 yards against the Saints, on only nine carries. Tate also scored a touchdown.

“Well, I was really surprised that he played as well as he did because he hasn’t practiced that much,” owner Bob McNair said in quotes distributed by the team. “You can tell his conditioning isn’t what it will be and he has more speed than you saw tonight so I think that’s pretty exciting.”

Added Kubiak: “I guess practice is overrated.”

“I was just excited to be honest,” Tate said of his performance. “It’s been over a year since I have been out there on the field so I wasn’t really thinking about anything. I was just excited and was just thinking ‘keep going, keep going’, I didn’t want to come out of the game for anything.”

Starter Arian Foster, who missed the preseason opener against the Jets with a hamstring injury of his own, contributed 47 yards on five carries — with two touchdowns.

Not to be forgotten, receiver Andre Johnson celebrated the monster contract given to Larry Fitzgerald with four catches for 100 yards.

The performances came in front of the largest preseason crowd ever at Reliant Stadium, where 70,828 fans showed up to see the home team beat the Saints, 27-14, only five nights after the game against the Jets.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/21/ben-tate-busts-out-of-kubiaks-doghouse/

2. hradhak

hradhak Site Contributor

Tate was on the bubble coming into this game. If he can continue to perform in week 3 and 4 I see him getting lots of reps on Sunday. I would love to see a 3 headed monster with Tate, Ward, and Foster. I think that gets us lots of yards on the ground and keeps all our RBs in better shape during the season.
    15 reps for Arian and 8 for Tate and Ward each. If we can run it 30 times a game, we're going to be winning.

3. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

All I know about Tate is that Spencer Tillman used to watch him tear it up every Saturday in the SEC.

4. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

Tate was never on the bubble. You don't cut a second round draft pick before his second season after he's been on IR the whole season prior.

The Pencil Neck likes this.
  5. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

That was such a killer performance there is no way you can get rid of that guy. I know it's only one game but after that performance you gotta keep giving him carries.

6. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

^^^^ This.

Tate was never really in danger anywhere except in the minds of some of the fans. He was in a position behind Ward and Slaton because he had to prove himself and show that he needed playing time because he is/was still basically a rookie.

But there was a reason he was drafted in the 2nd round last year. This guy could be special in this offense.

7. GP

GP Go Texans!

LOL.

Nice.

8. GP

GP Go Texans!

Ben Tate was never in a "Kubiak doghouse" or "on a bubble" at all.

This is something I spoke of last week. Kubiak's comments were standard comments you make when one of your key guy is out of action--As a HC, you push that guy and make sure he knows he needs to get healed and get back onto the field ASAP. It's standard motivation. It's simple, daily reminders that get put into print and the player sees that and knows he has to stay focused.

The impatience of fans does not equate to a guy being on the bubble. Kubiak knew his guys needed the rest. Hell, Kubiak probably put them on rest himself.

9. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

This is why they don't let fans make personnel decisions....
    I DO think he was in Kube's doghouse, though. Kubes practically called him out last week. Kubiak doesn't do that very often.

10. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

11. PHAROAH

PHAROAH All Pro

The kid played his ass off the Texans running game is going to be killer and now he is doing what they drafted him to do and actually we got lucky with Arian Foster last season no one knew he would lead the league in rushing and now we have two go to backs awesome.

12. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

13. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Among other reasons.

14. disaacks3

disaacks3 Site Contributor

When are these guys ever gong to learn the difference between "paid attendance" and those that actually went through the turnstiles? It was a decent pre-season showing but NOWHERE near 70K in the stadium...I'd guess closer to 35-40K.

15. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I've got nothing to back it up, but I think Tate going into Kubiak's office determined to play went a long way towards Tates future in the NFL.

You cant control injuries. But a players attitude during those injuries says a lot about his character.

houstonspartan likes this.
  16. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

Good point.

17. Brisco_County

Brisco_County Texans worthy

You're crazy if you think Tate was ever in danger sinking to the practice squad. This is the team that is still giving Antwaun Molden a chance four years, three DC's, and 30+ missed games after selecting him in the third round.

18. EllisUnit

EllisUnit Serving Koolaid

I was actually not impressed with him out of college and didnt expect much from him in the NFL, but i gotta say the kid surprised me, has good vision, good cuts and some nice speed. Well done tate

19. houstonspartan

houstonspartan Hall of Fame

Yep. Agree. Kubiak said of Tate: "He came to see me." That little talk obviously went a long way.

As much as I have doubts about Kubiak as a head coach and leader, he appears to get players to respond on a personal, one-on-one basis. I remember Mario struggling a couple of seasons ago, and then bursting out immediately after having had a private talk with Kubaik.

20. srrono

srrono Hall of Fame

Maybe Kub should have a talk with the whole defense we need them to shine this year.