Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Before ya get too excited

Grid

All Pro
Im not trying to be a grinch, I just want to point a couple things out before people start wavering, or having second thoughts about what this team needs to do.

There is only one thing that we, as fans, should be excited about, and I will point it out at the end.

1) Carr did not win this game, he just stayed out of the way. Our running game won this game. If anything it looked like we were trying to keep Carr from having to make plays, we never gave him the ball in a tough situation.

2) Dayne did great.. but he did it against the worst defense in the league, and the worst run defense by far. No this is not a blossoming of our running game. We still need to figure out who is going to share carries with Dayne, and we still need to improve our Oline alot.

Now, the one thing we have to be excited about is Gary Kubiak. He went in with a good gameplan.. knew what needed to be done to beat Indi, and he executed that plan. He showed intelligence and understanding of the game, and the ability to analyze the tape and figure it out.

We will get more wins against indi (and everyone else) in the future with Kubiak at the helm.

Let me also say that im damn proud of the Texans and I love my team! :yahoo: Go Texans and Merry Christmas!

Im not trying to be a grinch, I just want to point a couple things out before people start wavering, or having second thoughts about what this team needs to do.

There is only one thing that we, as fans, should be excited about, and I will point it out at the end.

1) Carr did not win this game, he just stayed out of the way. Our running game won this game. If anything it looked like we were trying to keep Carr from having to make plays, we never gave him the ball in a tough situation.

2) Dayne did great.. but he did it against the worst defense in the league, and the worst run defense by far. No this is not a blossoming of our running game. We still need to figure out who is going to share carries with Dayne, and we still need to improve our Oline alot.

Now, the one thing we have to be excited about is Gary Kubiak. He went in with a good gameplan.. knew what needed to be done to beat Indi, and he executed that plan. He showed intelligence and understanding of the game, and the ability to analyze the tape and figure it out.

We will get more wins against indi (and everyone else) in the future with Kubiak at the helm.

Let me also say that im damn proud of the Texans and I love my team! :yahoo: Go Texans and Merry Christmas!

Carr didn't make any mistakes and the biggest thing was HE MADE PLAYS. I think you're right but i'd be willing to give Carr and his team their moment. Hey, it's Christmas Eve! And the Texans beat the Colts! Does it get any better than that?!

Yo Grid, Carr did make a play in a tough situation. The 17-yard gain to AJ to get into fg range. That was a bigg play by DC. I agree with everything else you mentioned and Taylor might get alot more pt behind Dayne in the last game. But man this victory is so f###ing SWEEET!!!

Dude, try and enjoy the win without having to say anything neg. about anyone on the team. Everyone was on the same page and played the way they could have played this whole yr. I am very proud of the Texans and the way they played. I dont care about them playing the worst run defense in the league. All i saw today was the Texans taking care of a very potent offense and pulling out the win. Go Texans!!

remember that big win against jax week 16 in 2004? the next week we came home and put up that dud against the same cleveland team we are playing week 17 this year. it sure would be nice to go into this offseason with two straight wins after the Tenn. and NE debacles.

Liar Carr Won the game :stirpot: :sarcasm:

If the "other" QB can get credit for inspiring his D in scoring 3 defensive TD's, then Carr at least gets credit for getting his offense running.

Every week win or lose ya we beat a team we were 0-9 against and we all thought we stood no chance in beating but this guy was not very good this guy should have done this better I could have thrown it 75 yards. Man relax we won and everybody deserves credit for the win EVERYBODY we won.

I know there were problems, but it's a merry Christmas gift and a win is a win.

I'm just glad that after a week of embarassment seeing that 'Boycott the Texans: Stay Home on Christmas Eve' thread that we not only played a great game, but we won a close one. That would have been a Hell of a game to watch, it's a shame I live in the NJ.

I can think of several plays Carr made for. 17 yd pass to AJ for the GW FG, 12 yd pass for a 1st down in the 4th Quarter, I believe(He could've run out of bounds and taken a sack on that one), 2 QB keepers, 1 on 4th and 1 and another on 3rd and 4 or 5. And with this team, NOT making mistakes is, in itself, a big play. Carr did good. Give him his due.

Anytime any QB drops back to throw on this team, it is a tough situation. I wouldn't say that DC made up for several really bad games this year with his few pass plays today, but I would say that he did every bit of what was expected of him and maybe a little more. I did not see him throw a deep ball for a receiver to catch over their shoulder in stride, as I don't really remember at this point if I ever have, but he had several good rollout throws for badly needed first downs and the big play to finish it. That's all I wanted from him today. This one was on Dayne and Leach and they came through big. :redtowel:

Haha i fail to see why when we lose a game its carrs loss but when we win a game he doesnt get any credit. i think that your wrong and that carr deserves just as much credit for the win as dayne. but the rest of your post i somewhat agree with, merry christmas!

Good post. I agree with you especially with what you said about Kubiak. The Colts stink against the run but they can get a good pass rush on pretty much anyone. Given our protection problems and Carr's tendency to make mistakes under pressure we absolutely had to have our best game on the ground today to win and we did. Great win all around today with the game ball going to Ron Dayne.

Carr made very good decisions today, you have to give him that. And Dayne looks really good, tons better than earlier this season when he was dealing with injuries. Taylor looked pretty darn good on his limited appearances IMO. It was total team effort, and Kris Brown actually made some clutch kicks, I am sure I wasn't the only one sweating bullets during that timeout before the FG. One of the sweetest victories that I can remember.

Anytime any QB drops back to throw on this team, it is a tough situation. I wouldn't say that DC made up for several really bad games this year with his few pass plays today, but I would say that he did every bit of what was expected of him and maybe a little more. I did not see him throw a deep ball for a receiver to catch over their shoulder in stride, as I don't really remember at this point if I ever have, but he had several good rollout throws for badly needed first downs and the big play to finish it. That's all I wanted from him today. This one was on Dayne and Leach and they came through big. :redtowel:

I'm absolutely amazed by some of these discussions. Congratulations to the Team and David. The reason Carr is not throwing down the field is the play calling. Kubiak did not want to throw the ball deep down the field against the Colts. Kubiak will only call a deep throw on a few occassions and today wasn't one of them.

Anyway Merry Christmas to all and lets hope the game against the Browns goes well. Another win would be a fitting end to a dismal season.

Go Texans and Merry Christmas!

Crawldaddy Crawl. lol.Too funny.

Dude, try and enjoy the win without having to say anything neg. about anyone on the team. Everyone was on the same page and played the way they could have played this whole yr. I am very proud of the Texans and the way they played. I dont care about them playing the worst run defense in the league. All i saw today was the Texans taking care of a very potent offense and pulling out the win. Go Texans!!

Not being negative.. just being pragmatic. We ran the ball almost twice as much as we passed it (42 rushes, 23 passes). We took the ball out of Carr's hands and depended on the running game.

It was a great win for us, but not for the reasons you are implying. No we could NOT have played that way all season, the only reason we were able to win this game is because of Indi's poor rushing defense. It allowed us to focus heavily on the run, eat up clock time, keep the Indi offense off the field, and keep the game close enough to pull out the win. If we tried to run the ball 42 times against a team with a rushing defense, we would not have had this kind of success.

Our defense did not play superbly. They played well, in that they kept a good offense from running up the score, but they did not play well enough to hand us the win. We were up by 14 in the first quarter and they let them come back on us. Really, we only made them punt ONCE, and forced one fumble. They scored every other time.. but it wasnt a big deal because our rushing attack kept them off the field.

Again, im not trying to give them a hard time.. they did well.. we won the game. But this win can be laid at the feet of Kubiak for his game planning, and to a lesser degree it can be attributed to our team as a whole for going out and playing a mistake free game, and getting the job done.

I know I sound like im bashing them but really im stoked.. im happy to see us go out there and play like a real football team. We didnt shoot ourselves in the foot like we have so many times before. I just dont want to see the facts get muddled by a bunch of chest beating. We went out with the right game plan to win this game, and we executed that game plan... I did not see anyone on the Texans playing better than they have played all season long, minus the fact that we didnt turn the ball over.

The lack of downfield passing plays is more of a statement about Kubiak's lack of confidence in the pass protection then in his presumed lack of confidence in Carr's abilities as a QB in my opinion.

:yahoo: FREAKING EXCELLENT POST,:ok:

I don't know Grid. I totally agree that the gameplan was a very necessary and very important part of this win. I think we proved 2 years ago that this is the way to play the Colts, even though we lost that game. But, I believe I saw a lot of heart on that field. I saw D-linemen chasing down RBs from behind, and I don't just mean Mario. I saw AJ fighting to break loose of 4 defenders, although he couldn't do the impossible. There's been times when AJ didn't seem to fight to break free of one defender. I saw D-Rob looking like his old self again and Carr knowing when to leave the pocket when there was pressure.

What gets this stuff started? Teammates who see a fullback stickin' people and a runningback who won't go down on the first hit. That gets teammates excited. Of course, it IS the Colts D.

Total agreement HJam. I loved to see our guys getting fired up out there. And anyone who says we dont care about winning just needs to see how Kris Brown got mauled by teammates after making that kick.

We played with a ton of heart out there and its another thing we can be very excited about. We are not anemic.. we have not accepted our lot as a bottom of the barrel team... there is still a lot of competitive attitude on this team.

Had we lost, it would've been all Carr's fault. But, we won, so Carr must've stayed out of the way. I respect & enjoy reading your posts Grid, but this one just makes me sit here & shake my head in disbelief.:shocked

I don't know Grid. I totally agree that the gameplan was a very necessary and very important part of this win. I think we proved 2 years ago that this is the way to play the Colts, even though we lost that game. But, I believe I saw a lot of heart on that field. I saw D-linemen chasing down RBs from behind, and I don't just mean Mario. I saw AJ fighting to break loose of 4 defenders, although he couldn't do the impossible. There's been times when AJ didn't seem to fight to break free of one defender. I saw D-Rob looking like his old self again and Carr knowing when to leave the pocket when there was pressure.

What gets this stuff started? Teammates who see a fullback stickin' people and a runningback who won't go down on the first hit. That gets teammates excited. Of course, it IS the Colts D.

Streamin bull dung in the feild...the o-line ran into a depelted d-line. Everyone executed. That is all that happened today.

We are not anemic.. we have not accepted our lot as a bottom of the barrel team... there is still a lot of competitive attitude on this team.

I think you meant apathetic here. Anemic would mean that the Texans have a low amount of hemoglobulin, an iron compound that carries oxygen, in their blood. Apathetic means you just don't care anymore.

I don't know about excited, but wins come far apart.

I don't see teams crying or playing down to us being we have lost
22 Alexander, Roc
43 Cook, Jameel
37 Davis, Domanick
58 Flanagan, Mike C
99 Johnson, Travis
97 Malone, Alfred DE
28 McKenzie, Chris
91 Payne, Seth
18 Rosenfels, Sage
21 Sanders, Lewis
77 Spencer, Charles
82 Steele, Ben
72 Wiegert, Zach

they had 5 probowlers on offense playing today and I don't feel sorry. a win is a win

Streamin bull dung in the feild...the o-line ran into a depelted d-line. Everyone executed. That is all that happened today.

what depleted D-line?
D. Clark TE Out Knee
B. Sanders S Questionable Knee
D. Reid DT Questionable Hand
M. Jackson CB Questionable Shoulder
G. Gardner LB Questionable Knee
D. Freeney DE Questionable Shoulder
B. Fletcher TE Questionable Quadricep
A. Bethea S Questionable Shoulder
J. Addai RB Questionable Ankle
C. June LB Questionable Knee
R. Proehl WR Questionable Hamstring

Injured Reserve
Player Status Injury
M. Doss S IR Knee
B. Stokley WR IR Achilles
J. Collins TE

freeney played

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/ind/injuries

Had we lost, it would've been all Carr's fault. But, we won, so Carr must've stayed out of the way. I respect & enjoy reading your posts Grid, but this one just makes me sit here & shake my head in disbelief.:shocked

Ill be honest with you.

If we had given Carr the ball and thrown it as much as we ran it.. then yah, if we had lost it would have been another notch on Carrs belt of losses.

Also, if we had played the game the same way and hadnt won, I probably still would have been unhappy with Carr because he isnt stepping up and making plays, attributing to our wins.

Really though, id say im fairly consistent, because we DID win.. and im still pointing out that Carr is not the answer here, and it was not Carr that won this game.

So, really.. win, lose, or draw.. I believe that Carr is not the best thing for the future of this team. I like Carr.. he is a great guy, you couldnt meet a better guy, and I think he has a lot of talent.. but he is not a playmaker. Not for us anyway, maybe he could be in a different system with a more established team.

Ive said it before, and ill say it again.. as a team that is rebuilding, we cannot afford to have a QB that does not HELP the team win. People say that if we surrounded Carr with enough talent he could take us to a superbowl, and I agree.. but how long will that take? How many more bad seasons before we have enough talent? Will we ever even get enough talent? I dont want a QB that needs his teammates to pull him up and make him a star, I want a QB that can pull up his team and make them all stars.

Ill be honest with you.

If we had given Carr the ball and thrown it as much as we ran it.. then yah, if we had lost it would have been another notch on Carrs belt of losses.

Also, if we had played the game the same way and hadnt won, I probably still would have been unhappy with Carr because he isnt stepping up and making plays, attributing to our wins.

Really though, id say im fairly consistent, because we DID win.. and im still pointing out that Carr is not the answer here, and it was not Carr that won this game.

So, really.. win, lose, or draw.. I believe that Carr is not the best thing for the future of this team. I like Carr.. he is a great guy, you couldnt meet a better guy, and I think he has a lot of talent.. but he is not a playmaker. Not for us anyway, maybe he could be in a different system with a more established team.

Ive said it before, and ill say it again.. as a team that is rebuilding, we cannot afford to have a QB that does not HELP the team win. People say that if we surrounded Carr with enough talent he could take us to a superbowl, and I agree.. but how long will that take? How many more bad seasons before we have enough talent? Will we ever even get enough talent? I dont want a QB that needs his teammates to pull him up and make him a star, I want a QB that can pull up his team and make them all stars.

As long as you are being honest, then you should note that Carr didn't make more throws because the gameplan was to run the ball and expose Indy's weakness. DC made very solid decisions and contributing greatly to this win, period! He should get his due, just like he gets all the bashing.

I am not talking outside this game, I am talking about this game and his and the team's execution. I am all for whatever wins games, and it easy for all of us to sit back and be critical, but we should also be willing to say he DID step up today and attribute for the win. I am just stating what I feel is the truth regarding today's win. I don't neccessarily disagree with you in the long term success of this team and if Carr is the answer, but I don't know as much as Kubiak and the other team members to confidently say he is not. I am a dedicated fan, and have been putting my faith in Kubiak and this organization and can only continue to support them.

Corey Simon...And what is sad...is that one guy healthy would of destroyed us today. Make no mistake about it. That is how razor thin the tallent is here on this team. Browns have nothing to lose but draft stasus...we'll see next week. Then you guys can get back to whippin up on DC. Like I posted in the other thread. I've grown to except DC not being here. However, IF Kubiack does what he said he was going to do, be a lot of people in this town and on this board with a heap of egg on thier faces. Vincent don't play for the Texans.

Keep Hope Alive !!!!

Carr made some plays today -- and made no mistakes. The notion that he "just stayed out of the way" is ridiculous.

The o-line played great. Dayne was great. The defense had a key stop or two.

Give them credit for a change.

). We took the ball out of Carr's hands and depended on the running game .
I thought that is what we have been trying to do all season, get a running game. Why throw when you can wear down the defense with the run? Remember Earl and the Oilers ? They just plowed the other teams defense.

Right. :yawn:

Football is a team game and David made some great throws today.

You guys kill me with these chicken or the egg discussions.
When we win and run good, Carr didn't do it.
When we win and can't run, Carr didn't do it.
When we lose, running or not, it's Carr's fault.
When we have a running game going, Carr is a different QB well...duh.
Every QB is a different QB with a running game. That has been part of the problem all year. What other QB with any numbers worth mentioning have done it behind a line like ours with backs like ours or even better yet name one QB who could do better.

I thought that is what we have been trying to do all season, get a running game. Why throw when you can wear down the defense with the run? Remember Earl and the Oilers ? They just plowed the other teams defense.

That is the offense we want to run

You guys kill me with these chicken or the egg discussions.
When we win and run good, Carr didn't do it.
When we win and can't run, Carr didn't do it.
When we lose, running or not, it's Carr's fault.
When we have a running game going, Carr is a different QB well...duh.
Every QB is a different QB with a running game. That has been part of the problem all year. What other QB with any numbers worth mentioning have done it behind a line like ours with backs like ours or even better yet name one QB who could do better.

...what about the years when Carr had an RB?

...what about the years when Carr had an RB?

Carr never had a full season of run production. Even with DD, it was never something we could fully count on. I'm still not a big fan of Carrs, but let's be straight. Carr never had a dependable running game. 5 Years

James Allen, Jonathon Wells, Stacey Mack, Dominick Davis, Tony Hollings, Ron Dayne, Wali Lundy, Samkon Gado, Chris Taylor

Which RB are you referring to?

I don't agree with you entirely on Dayne. I think you're too quick to discount his performance because it was against the Colts defense. If he'd done this today following weeks of doing nothing I'd agree but he's getting it done on the ground week in and week out regardless of the opponent. The only thing that seems to put a damper on the Dayne Train lately is when the coaches stop using him or the offense turns the ball over.

I expect Ron Dayne to be our starting RB next year and to perform at a high level. He's in an offense that truly suits him for probably the first time in his NFL career. He gives us the luxury of addressing other greater needs before RB.

So.. yall are saying that in a game against the worst run defense in the league.. where we ran the ball 42 times for almost 200 yards, Carr should get credit and continue to be our quarterback because he managed to make 16 completions for 162 yards?

You are saying that because Carr, in the most optimal of situation possible for him, was able to not screw up.. that we should be patting him on the back?

I dont think he deserves that much credit, but its not like im riding his *** about it. He did a good job of not making any mistakes. And as I already said, I think he is a great and talented guy..and that in the right situation he could take a team to the superbowl. But im not gonna suck on his jockstrap because he managed to make a couple of passes in a game where we could run the ball at will, and did. Any QB on any team, starter or no, should have been able to make some throws in this situation.

Sorry I just cant drink that koolaid. I mean I can respect that people dont want to hear this junk AGAIN..after a big win. Sit back and enjoy it.. my only motive in starting this post was to counter all of the posts that I knew would be coming.

Those being:

"Should we keep Carr?"
"Should Dayne be our franchise RB?"
"Did this team just take the first step towards competitiveness?"

the answers to those questions are no, no, and no. Carr didnt light the world on fire, he just didnt mess up. Dayne had a great game against a running defense that is only ranked 32nd because there arent 64 teams. And while this was definatly a step in the right direction, we did not prove anything with this win.

If ya wanna be excited, be excited about us having a great coach that knows what he is doing.

I have a feeling some negative rep is coming my way.

I don't agree with you entirely on Dayne. I think you're too quick to discount his performance because it was against the Colts defense. If he'd done this today following weeks of doing nothing I'd agree but he's getting it done on the ground week in and week out regardless of the opponent. The only thing that seems to put a damper on the Dayne Train lately is when the coaches stop using him or the offense turns the ball over.

I expect Ron Dayne to be our starting RB next year and to perform at a high level. He's in an offense that truly suits him for probably the first time in his NFL career. He gives us the luxury of addressing other greater needs before RB.

I wont disagree with you. I like Dayne and I think he definatly has a future here. Im not so sure that he can, or should, be our starting RB... but its obvious that he is very comfortable in our system, and could be a big contributor for us. I am also not sure that he has the stamina, or the hardiness to carry the ball 25-30 times a game for 16 games. Personally id like to pick up another quality RB to share carries with him (im developing a man crush for LaMont Jordan).

Ill give him credit for putting up a performance against Indi that matches the performance of other good RBs that have played Indi. He didnt slouch out there.

If you bash carr when he loses, then you must praise him when he wins. Today was a great win, give the guy his props.

That's a silly thing to say. Regardless of whether the team wins or loses Carr is a fair target for criticism if he does not produce. Likewise he deserves credit for when he does produce even when it happens in a loss. Production in clear garbage time is meaningless obviously but if he plays well he should get the credit and if he plays like crap then he gets the criticism.

Today he played ok. He didn't turn the ball over and he didn't make any glaring mistakes. To borrow a term from Dom Capers he executed. Carr critics should "in a general sense" take the week off. Carr lovers should applaud his effort but IMO shouldn't get too giddy about it. It was a solid, workmanlike effort but until he duplicates it week in and week out it wasn't a turning point.

Carr never had a full season of run production. Even with DD, it was never something we could fully count on. I'm still not a big fan of Carrs, but let's be straight. Carr never had a dependable running game. 5 Years

James Allen, Jonathon Wells, Stacey Mack, Dominick Davis, Tony Hollings, Ron Dayne, Wali Lundy, Samkon Gado, Chris Taylor

Which RB are you referring to?

...maybe you were off in 'neverland'...these are just stats from 1 back during the past 3 yrs--Dominic Davis

2003 1031+351=1382 All-purpose YDS 8 TDS
2004 1188+588=1776 " " " 13 TDS
2005 976+337=1313 " " " 6 TDS

Davis was injured in all 3 yrs, missing 5 games in 2005

Back