Before ya get too excited

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Grid, Dec 24, 2006.

1. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

Im not trying to be a grinch, I just want to point a couple things out before people start wavering, or having second thoughts about what this team needs to do.

There is only one thing that we, as fans, should be excited about, and I will point it out at the end.

1) Carr did not win this game, he just stayed out of the way. Our running game won this game. If anything it looked like we were trying to keep Carr from having to make plays, we never gave him the ball in a tough situation.

2) Dayne did great.. but he did it against the worst defense in the league, and the worst run defense by far. No this is not a blossoming of our running game. We still need to figure out who is going to share carries with Dayne, and we still need to improve our Oline alot.

Now, the one thing we have to be excited about is Gary Kubiak. He went in with a good gameplan.. knew what needed to be done to beat Indi, and he executed that plan. He showed intelligence and understanding of the game, and the ability to analyze the tape and figure it out.

We will get more wins against indi (and everyone else) in the future with Kubiak at the helm.

Let me also say that im damn proud of the Texans and I love my team! :yahoo: Go Texans and Merry Christmas!

Ryan and kbourda like this.
  2. kbourda

kbourda Hall of Fame

Carr didn't make any mistakes and the biggest thing was HE MADE PLAYS. I think you're right but i'd be willing to give Carr and his team their moment. Hey, it's Christmas Eve! And the Texans beat the Colts! Does it get any better than that?!

3. K.D.

K.D. Veteran

Yo Grid, Carr did make a play in a tough situation. The 17-yard gain to AJ to get into fg range. That was a bigg play by DC. I agree with everything else you mentioned and Taylor might get alot more pt behind Dayne in the last game. But man this victory is so f###ing SWEEET!!!

4. Koolbrz

Koolbrz Veteran

Dude, try and enjoy the win without having to say anything neg. about anyone on the team. Everyone was on the same page and played the way they could have played this whole yr. I am very proud of the Texans and the way they played. I dont care about them playing the worst run defense in the league. All i saw today was the Texans taking care of a very potent offense and pulling out the win. Go Texans!!

5. dirty steve

dirty steve Hall of Fame

remember that big win against jax week 16 in 2004? the next week we came home and put up that dud against the same cleveland team we are playing week 17 this year. it sure would be nice to go into this offseason with two straight wins after the Tenn. and NE debacles.

6. MrMeToo

MrMeToo All Pro

Great Post.

7. Napa Auto Parts

Napa Auto Parts Hall of Fame

Liar Carr Won the game :stirpot: :sarcasm:

8. dtran04

dtran04 Hall of Fame

If the "other" QB can get credit for inspiring his D in scoring 3 defensive TD's, then Carr at least gets credit for getting his offense running.

BattleRedToro likes this.

9. Roughnecks

Roughnecks Veteran

Every week win or lose ya we beat a team we were 0-9 against and we all thought we stood no chance in beating but this guy was not very good this guy should have done this better I could have thrown it 75 yards. Man relax we won and everybody deserves credit for the win EVERYBODY we won.

10. FLYmeatwad

FLYmeatwad Rookie

I know there were problems, but it's a merry Christmas gift and a win is a win.

I'm just glad that after a week of embarassment seeing that 'Boycott the Texans: Stay Home on Christmas Eve' thread that we not only played a great game, but we won a close one. That would have been a Hell of a game to watch, it's a shame I live in the NJ.

11. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

I can think of several plays Carr made for. 17 yd pass to AJ for the GW FG, 12 yd pass for a 1st down in the 4th Quarter, I believe(He could've run out of bounds and taken a sack on that one), 2 QB keepers, 1 on 4th and 1 and another on 3rd and 4 or 5. And with this team, NOT making mistakes is, in itself, a big play. Carr did good. Give him his due.

12. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Anytime any QB drops back to throw on this team, it is a tough situation. I wouldn't say that DC made up for several really bad games this year with his few pass plays today, but I would say that he did every bit of what was expected of him and maybe a little more. I did not see him throw a deep ball for a receiver to catch over their shoulder in stride, as I don't really remember at this point if I ever have, but he had several good rollout throws for badly needed first downs and the big play to finish it. That's all I wanted from him today. This one was on Dayne and Leach and they came through big. :redtowel:

13. TopTexanFan16

TopTexanFan16 Veteran

Haha i fail to see why when we lose a game its carrs loss but when we win a game he doesnt get any credit. i think that your wrong and that carr deserves just as much credit for the win as dayne. but the rest of your post i somewhat agree with, merry christmas!

14. JDizzle

JDizzle I'm a dude

Good post. I agree with you especially with what you said about Kubiak. The Colts stink against the run but they can get a good pass rush on pretty much anyone. Given our protection problems and Carr's tendency to make mistakes under pressure we absolutely had to have our best game on the ground today to win and we did. Great win all around today with the game ball going to Ron Dayne.

15. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

Carr made very good decisions today, you have to give him that. And Dayne looks really good, tons better than earlier this season when he was dealing with injuries. Taylor looked pretty darn good on his limited appearances IMO. It was total team effort, and Kris Brown actually made some clutch kicks, I am sure I wasn't the only one sweating bullets during that timeout before the FG. One of the sweetest victories that I can remember.

16. Ibar_Harry

Ibar_Harry Hall of Fame

I'm absolutely amazed by some of these discussions. Congratulations to the Team and David. The reason Carr is not throwing down the field is the play calling. Kubiak did not want to throw the ball deep down the field against the Colts. Kubiak will only call a deep throw on a few occassions and today wasn't one of them.

Anyway Merry Christmas to all and lets hope the game against the Browns goes well. Another win would be a fitting end to a dismal season.

17. ThaShark316

ThaShark316 #28

You only said that cuz he said something a little negative about carr...

18. Goldeagle

Goldeagle Hall of Fame

They had injuries and we had injuries!

Great win by carr and the team.

19. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

Crawldaddy Crawl. lol.Too funny.

20. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

Not being negative.. just being pragmatic. We ran the ball almost twice as much as we passed it (42 rushes, 23 passes). We took the ball out of Carr's hands and depended on the running game.

It was a great win for us, but not for the reasons you are implying. No we could NOT have played that way all season, the only reason we were able to win this game is because of Indi's poor rushing defense. It allowed us to focus heavily on the run, eat up clock time, keep the Indi offense off the field, and keep the game close enough to pull out the win. If we tried to run the ball 42 times against a team with a rushing defense, we would not have had this kind of success.

Our defense did not play superbly. They played well, in that they kept a good offense from running up the score, but they did not play well enough to hand us the win. We were up by 14 in the first quarter and they let them come back on us. Really, we only made them punt ONCE, and forced one fumble. They scored every other time.. but it wasnt a big deal because our rushing attack kept them off the field.

Again, im not trying to give them a hard time.. they did well.. we won the game. But this win can be laid at the feet of Kubiak for his game planning, and to a lesser degree it can be attributed to our team as a whole for going out and playing a mistake free game, and getting the job done.

I know I sound like im bashing them but really im stoked.. im happy to see us go out there and play like a real football team. We didnt shoot ourselves in the foot like we have so many times before. I just dont want to see the facts get muddled by a bunch of chest beating. We went out with the right game plan to win this game, and we executed that game plan... I did not see anyone on the Texans playing better than they have played all season long, minus the fact that we didnt turn the ball over.