BCS who cares

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by axman40, Dec 5, 2004.

1. axman40

axman40 Hall of Fame

I was wondering how many here would like to see the BCS go away?I enjoy College Football but I quit watching after the Div 1 season is over. I quit watching the Bowl exhibition games back in the early 80's . I would like to see a playoff system but I know it will not happen any time soon.
    :bouncey:

2. dan7

dan7 Veteran

I'd like to see a playoff system, but I doubt that it will happen anytime soon.

3. LiveForTheGame

LiveForTheGame Veteran

The BCS will only change when those in charge think it doesn't work for what they want, but it does work for what they want, and they think it's the right system. It won't change for a while.

4. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

USC getting screwed last year and five undefeated teams this year ought to start throwing a monkey wrench into this BcS thing shouldn't it??

It really needs to go away. The excuse that it has people talking about college football is BS. When the focus is on something other than the game, that's not a good thing. You think people would stop talking college football if there were a playoff system?? That's bunk. College football playoffs would be as big as or bigger than March Madness.

5. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Texas Vs Michigan in the Rose Bowl. I just heard it.

6. Fiddy

Fiddy Hall of Fame

Where did you hear it???

7. STEEL BLUE TEXANS

STEEL BLUE TEXANS Hall of Fame

Thank you Southern Miss.

8. Reddevil63

Reddevil63 Hall of Fame

Woot, A&M should get the Cotton bowl then!

9. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Texans post game show.

10. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

They're getting it from cbs sportsline...

.. but then 610 came back and changed it to Tx/Utah in Fiesta and Mich/Pitt in Rose... so I'm not sure if it's official...

11. Oilers/Texans

Oilers/Texans Veteran

The BCS needs to go away for sure. It is the biggest joke around and it's a bad one at that. Playoffs are the only way to go, but they probably won't happen

12. MarleyFan

MarleyFan Veteran

BCS wanted Texas in all along. Cal got screwed!

13. wags

wags Hall of Fame

Looks like the refs in the Kansas game got what they wanted. :jk:

14. Jonathan

Jonathan Veteran

Of course Cal got screwed. Had Texas not made it in you could have made the exact same arguments. Had Cal substantially beaten Southern Miss it would have been a different ballgame. Until there is an 8 team playoff, some teams are just going to get screwed.

15. texasguy346

texasguy346 Mod Squad

I'd prefer to see a playoff as opposed to the BCS, but I doubt it happens anytime soon unless they can find away to get more money from a playoff than they get from the BCS.

16. ColdSteelBlue

ColdSteelBlue Veteran

I think the team that got screwed was Auburn. The voters had their heads so far up USC's butt that they did not see that Auburn is the best team in the country. # 2 at the least. The BCS stinks :loser

The rankings should be
    1. Auburn
    2. OU
    3. USC
    4. UT
    5. Utah
    6.Cal

17. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

Last year I thought LSU and USC should have been playing in the National Championship Game.

This year I think it should be OU and Auburn.

I haven't been happy with the process since its inception. I was disappointed in 1998 when Kansas State (to A&M in OT in the Big 12 game) and UCLA (to Miami in the "Hurricane Bowl") lost their last games or we would have had three undefeated teams (with Tennessee, who should have lost the SEC championship game to Arkansas if not for a blunder by the QB downing the ball) that year too. K-State would have been the odd team out.

They need a new system. I don't buy the argument that the students will be away from school too long. There are playoffs in the lower divisions. Basketball players miss a ton of school days during the tournament. It seems like a double standard.

They need an 8-game or 4-game playoff system.

18. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

BTW, I sympathize with Cal. Texas got screwed last year. We were number 5 in the BCS and didn't get to go to a BCS game because K-State got an automatic bid and OU was in the National Championship Game. Since only 2 teams from a conference can go, Texas was left out. We had to go to the Holiday Bowl too. Sucks huh?

Here were some weird scenarios that I read about before the games on Saturday. I liked the one where Cal was #1 in both polls but would have to play in the Holiday Bowl. I also liked the one where Colorado beat OU but couldn't go to a BCS bowl because Texas and OU were #1 and #2 in the BCS.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/7954739

19. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

That wouldn't be an example of how the BCS is a problem. It would be an example of how the polls are a problem. Voting for a 1 loss Cal team over what would be a 1 loss USC team that beat Cal would be absurd.

20. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

I don't necessarily agree. Just because I beat a team, doesn't necessarily make me better. Is it worse for Cal to lose to a 1-loss USC team early in the season or for USC to lose to a 4-loss UCLA team the last game of the season?