BCS takes big step toward college football playoff

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Wolf, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/bcs-ta...-ncaaf.html;_ylt=ApeyG7INg.o6NhtqTJ_gx5g5nYcB

2. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

Git' ir done idiots!!!!!!

3. JCTexan

JCTexan Hall of Fame

First step looks completed: The SEC and Big 12 Champions will play against each other starting in 2014.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7945482/big-12-sec-champions-play-new-year-bowl-game

4. Doppelganger

Doppelganger None

So let's see.
    Big 10 vs Pac 10= Rose Bowl
    SEC vs Big XII= Big time BCS Bowl

These comprise your Big 4.

The mid 2 will be the ACC and Big East. ACC will likely have to play whatever is left of the Big East, but that won't likely get too many additional votes based on perceived conference strength. The little guys, aka the rest of the conferences are even more screwed than they were before. The Sun Belt, WAC, Mid America, Mountain West, and Conference USA's chances at the NC are that much tougher.

It will be interesting to see if Notre Dame is still granted its Independence or if it is forced to join a conference.

When 2014 comes around, I wouldn't be surprised to see all 4 of the teams in the playoff come from one of the Big 4 to the chagrin of everyone else. That may set the stage for 4 super conferences to emerge and all D1 schools are part of 1 of the 4 big Super conferences.

5. Yankee_In_TX

Yankee_In_TX Dance Lindsay!

Rose Bowl, Orange Bowl, sugar Bowl, Fiesta Bowl - which one you booting there?

6. Doppelganger

Doppelganger None

Don't need to boot any. They are big time money makers.

Rose=Big 10 champ vs Pac 10 champ
    Sugar=SEC champ vs Big XII champ(have it alternate between NO and Dallas)
    Orange=ACC champ vs Big East Champ
    Fiesta=2 at large teams

2 ways to do it.

1. Once bowls are over, the locations are determined based on who is still in.

#4 would play at the BCS bowl of #1. I.E. If #1 was a SEC or Big XII, Sugar bowl would be the venue. #3 would face #2 at #2's home bowl. National Championship would be pre-determined location or at the site of highest remaining seed.

2. Plan it all out ahead of time and simply say that 3 of the 4 bowls will get that extra playoff game. It would be rotational so once every 4 years, each bowl would only get 1. The current system is once every 4 years, each BCS bowl gets 2, so it would improve in that sense.

7. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

Looks like ACC and big east are non factors. Maybe ND and FSU to big 12.

8. Yankee_In_TX

ND is independent in football and will stay so as long as they have their TV contract.

9. Doppelganger

Doppelganger None

Football contract runs through 2015 season and its not as good as everyone thinks. The previous contract that ran out in 2008 paid ND only $9 million annually. In 2008, every Big 10 school received a check for $15 million. Northwestern is making significantly more than Notre Dame.

The big payouts are a byproduct of selling the conference tv rights. In this day and age you cannot go it alone and make the big bucks, you have to join an established conference. I would imagine when the 2015 deal runs out (or even before) Notre Dame will make a move to join the Big 10, Big XII, or Pac 10. Considering they have rivalries with USC and Stanford I could see them joining the Pac 10.

10. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

ND could join the big 12 and have their own network as well as FSU. Big12 only conference to allow such a thing

11. Yankee_In_TX

Do you think Texas would allow that? I think the problem with joining the Big 12 for ND is they want to be a lead dog.

And you're right, that's why they keep turning down the Big 10 - the big 10 shares and is a great conference for all members.

The Big 12 lets the haves have more, but will Texas allow ND to share with them or will they try to treat them like the other schools?

I don't know, just thinking out loud.

12. Blake

Blake MMQB

Hearing alot of FSU and Clemson to Big12. In this scenario ND would not be in Big12 unless they decided to go to 14 or 16 which looks to not be very likely.

13. Yankee_In_TX

The acting Big 12 Commish is full of it - Monday I heard him say how they're happy with 10 and don't plan to expand and he doubts we are headed for 4 super conferences. Yeah, right.

14. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/presid...-ncaaf.html;_ylt=AsUZl6MJuzDpPRbKDJITCfs5nYcB

15. gwallaia

gwallaia Moderator Staff Member

I'm afraid the big conferences will still be getting 95% of all the money this new format will be generating.

16. Yankee_In_TX

Lone Star needs to get their bowl bid in to be a playoff site!

17. TennMike

TennMike Rookie

YES!!! I can't wait to see these matchups.

Last year would've been LSU v Stanford and Bama v Okla St.

awesome