Barwin like Mercilus pick

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by badboy, May 15, 2012.

1. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Know this is fluff but posting anyway. Conner on 610 with Vandermeer saying he thinks Whitney will improve the rotation for him and Reed and "there were times last season when we needed that. Keeping fresh will be good". Said he saw him yesterday for first time and he is shape. He will play the Will behind Conner at first and just learning the plays.

2. Rey

Rey Guest

Going to be playing will behind Connor? :thinking:

3. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Bryan Brahman helmet less hit was first on video that Brady James was shown when introduced to LB corps. Says D Brown is one of best and under rated LT. He mixes both finesse and power in protecting QB.

4. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Bulls on Parade was suggestion from a Twitter request he made. Solidified when Wade started using it. Made joke about using a Prius at his size "$40/week" gas. Said players quit harassing him. Defense adapted to new defense as players were extremely confident in plays called by coaches. Kohler and other defensive coaches worked well together even though Kohler was a screamer and other were calm.

5. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Suggests that more new plays on defense should be expected with entire off season to learn. Compliments J Joseph as Shutdown corner. Demeco gone "You just let leadership flow rather than try to name someone".

The end.

Wolf likes this.
  6. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    Even though you might point to Cushing, Watt, Joseph, maybe Manning and Smith too as better players...Barwin may well take over the leadership spot. He seems to be in tune with his teammates/coaches as well as being accessible to fans. Like how Cody or Winston weren't the best players but had a great relationship through the media to the fans.

7. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Oops Barwin hung around and said TC is basically 6:30 to 9 pm every day and he will take vacation (one week) after, then get tuned for season.

8. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

Cody and Winston have good relationships with the fans and media, but neither is really a team leader.

9. Rey

Rey Guest

Exactly.

I look for Cushing to take that role with a sprinkle of Watt and Antonio in there.

10. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Could be wrong but I see Smith and Cush as more vocal leaders and Watt as an AJ type. Leading by example and both types are cool with me.

11. Rey

Rey Guest

Earlier in the program Marciano said to watch out for Eddie pleasant. Called him a missile on special teams. (Shiloh keo competition?)

He said trindon is going to be expected to cover kicks. LoL. That should be fun to watch.

He also mentioned loiseau as a guy to watch on special teams.

12. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Yeah, I missed Marciano segment but the comment on Pleasant but was brought up later. I could see some UDFAs making team.

13. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

I beg to differ. There is unquestionably a pecking order but to say Cody has no place within the locker room is a wild accusation to me. Or the most tenured offensive player who would actually discuss something in depth.

14. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

I'm confused as to whether you are responding to me or another poster. I never said Cody didn't have a place within the locker room. I said he isn't really a team leader. He's apparently well liked by fans and media, and I'm sure he is respected in the locker room, but I can't recall him ever doing anything that indicated that he is a a team leader, at least to me.

15. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

Well liked by fans and media, respected in the locker room, leaves it on the field...

I suppose our definition of leadership is different.

16. Rey

Rey Guest

A lot of guys fit that definition of leadership. Almost the whole team would fit that bill.

I think when we are talking about leadership in this instance we are talking about all that plus extraordinary performance on the field. The attitude they play with is apparent. The team feeds off of them come game time. They make big plays and others follow suit.

I don't think Cody fits that bill.

17. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

I think the moment he's arrived on this team it's pretty evident he's become the leader on the field, it's Cushing by far.

I think other players feed off him the way the defense in Baltimore feeds off Ray Lewis' intensity. Moving forward he's the center piece for this defense.

18. welsh texan

welsh texan Lest we forget

Seems like Reed played Will behind Mario to start last season, then when Mario went down thats where he slotted in at first, before Wade changed it over. Possibly a coaching philosophy for his rookies?

19. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

The Texan defense fits together each taking turns in leadership roles complimenting players strengths. Doesn't matter who starts, what matters is number of reps which is measured off on field performance. Leadership comes from Wade Phillips & within each group, DL (Smith) LB (Cushing) & DB (Joseph) players who execute groups roles. Barwin will be a marked man this season but is more confident, stronger & healthier than ever. He said his speed & quickness comes from his basketball background. Mercilus background comes from Soccer, so Whitney will receive a lot of one on one with Reggie Herring, LB coach & Connor Barwin to help him improve his hand placement/work. :slapfight:

20. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

Sure and that's completely by design. Leadership doesn't imply the guy at the front, doesn't to me anyway.
    I don't believe on field performance can certainly be the result of hard work but you need guys to work hard regardless of result. You need guys to keep pushing, keep it loose, keep everyone honest at all times. That's Cody, you want extraordinary on field performance you probably hired the wrong guy lol...

Exactly. Funny how they all play a part, yet to a man they say leadership is not handed out or taken. Organically, they all seem to step up together even while former leaders are being taken out.