Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Barrett's guide to make it through the offseason

barrett

All Pro
If you try you can really stretch the off season out so that there is football taking place all year round. You really only have to suffer for a month and a half or so.

Think about it.

The Senior Bowls (Shrine game, East / West game etc.) all start happening in a few weeks. After that the talk about who's moving up the draft boards will start to dominate the football news.

After Those games you watch the Superbowl and then it's a week until waivers and you find out who's getting cut. After that it's only a couple of weeks until the NFL combine in late February!

A week later, Free Agency begins. Your team's roster changes! Thats pretty substantial. You might find yourself with a new Face of the Franchise or something else worth getting excited about!

Two and a half weeks after that and "voluntary club workouts" begin. Some clubs with a very strong sense of TEAM UNITY may have the entire team show up on their own to begin workouts. (one team in particular comes to mind).

Then comes the SUCK. One month of nothing before offer sheets get started and you find out which RFA you may have to worry about. ONE MONTH PEOPLE! During that time the NFL holds it's annual meetings so if you're really hurting you can research some rule changes or discussions about possible rule changes at least.

oh yeah, and the NFL DRAFT is that next week also. but that's no big deal right?

two weeks go by and it's OTA's... football season.

or, if guys jogging around in shorts doesn't count for you, two weeks later it's MINICAMP.

Then comes the second MONTH OF SUCK. Late June until late July it's pretty much dead. Well, free agency ends that week so there will be some football news but after that training camp begins and we're on our way.

It's really only two months and they're not even back to back months!

I hope this helps ya'll get through. It worked miracles for me last year!

Go Texans

I know it's not the same, but I used to watch the Arena League a lot.

Of course that was when Houston had a team and they were on tv which is why I had an interest in it. I found out and knew who Kurt Warner was long before his MVP season. So it wasn't much of a surprise to me with him running that Rams offense as successfully as he did, since I'd seen him running that quick release run n gun type stuff for a couple of years for the Iowa Barnstormers in the AFL.

In fact, I believe there's still an Arena team in the area that plays at the Berry Center on Barker-Cypress. I think it was AFL2 or something like that.

And there's also supposed to be some spring league starting up this year and Houston has an entry. I just heard a brief mention of it on the local news some time back so I don't know much about it.

Its not much of a problem for me. I love watching sports so NBA season will be heating up when NFL season is done, then MLB season so its just a cycle for me. Its all about how excited I am about the next season...and I am pretty excited for the Texans 08 year, I hope they don't let us down.

And there's also supposed to be some spring league starting up this year and Houston has an entry. I just heard a brief mention of it on the local news some time back so I don't know much about it.

This new league plays between March and June, so that might be a bit of a distraction. At least it will be football in some form with a Houston team. I wouldn't count on it looking very professional its first year however.

If you try you can really stretch the off season out so that there is football taking place all year round. You really only have to suffer for a month and a half or so.

Think about it.

The Senior Bowls (Shrine game, East / West game etc.) all start happening in a few weeks. After that the talk about who's moving up the draft boards will start to dominate the football news.

After Those games you watch the Superbowl and then it's a week until waivers and you find out who's getting cut. After that it's only a couple of weeks until the NFL combine in late February!

A week later, Free Agency begins. Your team's roster changes! Thats pretty substantial. You might find yourself with a new Face of the Franchise or something else worth getting excited about!

Two and a half weeks after that and "voluntary club workouts" begin. Some clubs with a very strong sense of TEAM UNITY may have the entire team show up on their own to begin workouts. (one team in particular comes to mind).

Then comes the SUCK. One month of nothing before offer sheets get started and you find out which RFA you may have to worry about. ONE MONTH PEOPLE! During that time the NFL holds it's annual meetings so if you're really hurting you can research some rule changes or discussions about possible rule changes at least.

oh yeah, and the NFL DRAFT is that next week also. but that's no big deal right?

two weeks go by and it's OTA's... football season.

or, if guys jogging around in shorts doesn't count for you, two weeks later it's MINICAMP.

Then comes the second MONTH OF SUCK. Late June until late July it's pretty much dead. Well, free agency ends that week so there will be some football news but after that training camp begins and we're on our way.

It's really only two months and they're not even back to back months!

I hope this helps ya'll get through. It worked miracles for me last year!

Go Texans

Thanks for the glimmer of hope! I'm with you all the way, I will be on these boards every five minutes hoping to see a new article on the most trivial news about the Texans! haha. I'm in Dallas, so I hear NOTHING unless it's on espn.com. I hope everyone stays with us this offseason!!

glad to help. it was something that i figured out last season. and i was amazed at how it all flew by. there really is decent news worth reading every week or two and that's all i need. it's a fix. just a bump i know, but it get's us through!

i have a siimpler guide:

july-april: season, playoffs, FA and draft (+speculation), OTA's, TC, PS
may,june: make up for neglect of personal life, family etc and build up enough credit for next yrs neglect :).. and maybe go on a holiday

the only sport i watch apart from the texans are the NBA finals and the EPL

This is what I do to get my fill of NFL/football during offseason.

Pick up the newest NCAA game, or if low on cash, an old one. Go through the Campus legend mode, and eventually you'll be able to put yourself in the newest draft. Rent/Buy the corresponding Madden game, and play Superstar mode. By the time your in your 2nd season, you'll be in football season again.

Several people are already complaining about the end of football so I wanted to bump this to give ya'll some fresh perspective on how much football there is left to be "played" this offseason... cheer up! We're just getting started!

Go Texans.

Of course that was when Houston had a team and they were on tv which is why I had an interest in it. I found out and knew who Kurt Warner was long before his MVP season. So it wasn't much of a surprise to me with him running that Rams offense as successfully as he did, since I'd seen him running that quick release run n gun type stuff for a couple of years for the Iowa Barnstormers in the AFL.

In fact, I believe there's still an Arena team in the area that plays at the Berry Center on Barker-Cypress. I think it was AFL2 or something like that.

If you are a baseball fan you can also think about the fact that the first Stros spring training is Feb 25th. Players will report in mid Feb.

PLUS, you have my Texas mock drafts to read and think about up until draft day! And then afterward, you will have my 2010 mock draft to think about!!!!

In the offseason I shall:

a. write another book

b. get the first book published

c. skate my butt off

d. ask every Dallas Cowboy fan I know what number comes after 5 and laugh like a mad man.

I will get through the offseason by watching college basketball which will take me up to April with the national championship game then, the NFL Draft. I will then watch baseball until the preseason games start. September cannot come fast enough for me.

G6106NC_lg.jpg

1. Thou shalt not watcheth other sports before thy Football.
2. Thou shalt not watcheth Drayton McClain ruin thy Astros.
3. Thou may watcheth thy basketball teams, only when they play other good teams. Blowouts sucketh.
4. Thou may pursue other interests in the offseason, such as things that don't involve watching sports on t.v.
5. Thou must return to the Glory when thy Texans cometh to crush the faces of the wicked.

3. Thou may watcheth thy basketball teams, only when they play other good teams. Blowouts sucketh.
4. Thou may pursue other interests in the offseason, such as things that don't involve watching sports on t.v.
5. Thou must return to the Glory when thy Texans cometh to crush the faces of the wicked.

Especially when it's the sucky team blowing out the Rockets, as in recently.

Amid the mist of the mountain Time Killer descends with a long flowing white beard carrying a large stone tablet on which the 5 commandments of the offseason were inscribed by the Late Great Pete Roselle. In a loud booming voice he proclaims:

...so let it be written...so let it be done. Okay do we have to build an ark to carry the tablet in now?

You like the night life? You love to boogie?

images

rollerdisco-billbutler.jpg

I believe the first photo is Wilmer Valderama from That 70's Show, and the cute little Ukranian holding onto him is Mila Kunis. Diss him if you will but he did spend some time giving Lindsay Lohan a full body massage and by that I meant massaging Lindsay Lohan...WITH his body. I aint mad at the muff-hugga.
That other cat? I don't know WHAT THE VUGG his deal is! The skating heiracy is broken down like this:

Aristocracy:

Figure skaters (royalty/socialites)
Speed skaters (winged feet of Mercury and all that)
Tour Skaters(people with large metal skates strapped to their shoes for a leisurely afternoon skate...usually European who skate outside on frozen lakes and ponds.

Skate Trash:

*Hockey skaters ( The working class skate peasantry)
Roller bladers ( people who skate in the streets)
Roller skaters (traditionalist who refuse to get with the times)
Skate boarders (The lowest form of skate trash)

I may be skate trash...but I'm at least UPPER LEVEL skate trash. Think about it. Who do you MOSTLY see of Maximum Exposure breaking every bone in their bodies? No one but boarders.

Last edited:
I believe the first photo is Wilmer Valderama from That 70's Show, and the cute little Ukranian holding onto him is Mila Kunis. Diss him if you will but he did spend some time giving Lindsay Lohan a full body massage and by that I meant massaging Lindsay Lohan...WITH his body. I aint mad at the muff-hugga.
That other cat? I don't know WHAT THE VUGG his deal is! The skating heiracy is broken down like this:

Aristocracy:

Figure skaters (royalty/socialites)
Speed skaters (winged feet of Mercury and all that)
Tour Skaters(people with large metal skates strapped to their shoes for a leisurely afternoon skate...usually European who skate outside on frozen lakes and ponds.

Skate Trash:

*Hockey skaters ( The working class skate peasantry)
Roller bladers ( people who skate in the streets)
Roller skaters (traditionalist who refuse to get with the times)
Skate boarders (The lowest form of skate trash)

I may be skate trash...but I'm at least UPPER LEVEL skate trash. Think about it. Who do you MOSTLY see of Maximum Exposure breaking every bone in their bodies? No one but boarders.

Interesting.

Me, I didn't mean anything by it. You just said "skate" and roller disco came to mind.

*sigh*

I guess I need a hobby. Or may quit goofing off on here so much and just do my job.

Interesting.

Me, I didn't mean anything by it. You just said "skate" and roller disco came to mind.

*sigh*

I guess I need a hobby. Or may quit goofing off on here so much and just do my job.

it's all cool...but chicks dig a guy who can skate....:cool:

Following free agency and mini camp and all that isn't all that exciting too me. I'll read about it but it's still a bore. The only thing close to being exciting between now and training camp is the NFL draft.

Luckily I'm a big basketball and baseball fan so at least that'll keep me entertained sportswise.

I loved going to the Gamblers games. The funnest football I have ever watched live.

HAHAHAHAHA!

Per 610 (no link), the USFL is having a 'soft launch' of their season in October or November, and will come back strong in 2009. They currently have no sponsors.

Wow, trained monkeys could write a better business plan. $10 says they never snap a ball.

A new fall league? Why? I can understand a spring league when no one else is playing football, but a new fall league doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

NOTHING about their business model makes sense.

Fall games?

4 teams in 7 cities?

4 teams?!

Seriously?

NOTHING about their business model makes sense.

Fall games?

4 teams in 7 cities?

4 teams?!

Seriously?

This won't last long. Who's going to watch it during the regular NFL/college season? Spring leagues at least have a chance to bring in starved fans that are pretty much willing to watch anyone in football uniforms play.

Back