Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Barber replaces Wilson at safety for Texans

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
That might be one of THE most infuriating things ever.

You are stone cold serious that you saw that? For real?

Wow. That's just awful.
No. Barber wasn't in a position to make a play. He didn't just stand there either. He rushed the line but was too far from the play to make a difference.

GP

Go Texans!
No. Barber wasn't in a position to make a play. He didn't just stand there either. He rushed the line but was too far from the play to make a difference.
Whew! Thank you for clarifying that.

I will stop clinching my teeth now.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I know it sucks to think that of one of our players. But I do wonder if that wasn't his brother, would he have closed that hole quicker? Would he have put more force into that hit? Could he have cut his feet out from under him a yard or two in the backfield?

Scooter

Funky
dang tk, i didnt notice that one. our linebackers and secondary are always two steps slow in goalline situations but he might as well have been wearing an orange vest and waving flashlights on that play.

Porky

Hall of Fame
Barber sucks. He'll immediately be one of the very worst starting safeties in the league Sunday, if not the worst. He is horrible. What Kubes sees in this guy is beyond me because he is trash as a starting NFL safety. Always has been and always will be.

Not only that, but he is an in the box SS not a FS so exactly how is he supposed to help the pass coverage again? Then again the only real FS on the roster is Eugene Wilson who is playing more like Flip Wilson this year...except Flip has better hands.

I blame this mess on Rick Smith and Kubiak who repeatedly have had chances to address the safety position with legit NFL talent but prefer UDFA's, and 6th and 7th rounders instead.

And the CB spot is equally bad, and it's painfully obvious that our 1st rounder is not going to ever meet up with his draft position. He'll get better, but he is mid round material at best. The rest of the guys are young, under-talented, or under-sized...or all of the above. And people wonder how we are giving up all this yardage? LMAO.

The only thing that can make a difference back there is Cushing. Thank God. He might save our season yet.

Goldensilence

hipster elite
Barber sucks. He'll immediately be one of the very worst starting safeties in the league Sunday, if not the worst. He is horrible. What Kubes sees in this guy is beyond me because he is trash as a starting NFL safety. Always has been and always will be.

Not only that, but he is an in the box SS not a FS so exactly how is he supposed to help the pass coverage again? Then again the only real FS on the roster is Eugene Wilson who is playing more like Flip Wilson this year...except Flip has better hands.

I blame this mess on Rick Smith and Kubiak who repeatedly have had chances to address the safety position with legit NFL talent but prefer UDFA's, and 6th and 7th rounders instead.

And the CB spot is equally bad, and it's painfully obvious that our 1st rounder is not going to ever meet up with his draft position. He'll get better, but he is mid round material at best. The rest of the guys are young, under-talented, or under-sized...or all of the above. And people wonder how we are giving up all this yardage? LMAO.

The only thing that can make a difference back there is Cushing. Thank God. He might save our season yet.
I agree with you on Barber. No clue what they see in this guy. He isn't even bacup FS material, at best backup SS.

I didn't have a huge problem with the FO drafting Jackson, but I would've rather drafted Kyle Wilson. No matter which rookie they would've put out on the field it wouldn't have mattered, every rookie starting CB in the league struggles their first year. It took a few years for Nnamdi and Darelle to transform into primier Cbs.

The biggest problem I do have however, is that I think the FO had a pretty good clue that they were going to go real young at CB. Problem is much as I like Quinn's game at best he's going to be a real solid #2. I like McCain's speed, but if they're going to have him in the nickle he's going to have problem covering the bigger possession receivers because of his size. If they were going to go this young they should've made a move for a solid veteran FS. Kerry Rhodes got traded for next to nothing. a 4th this year and a 7th in 2011. But hey we got another back up TE! Been a while but, I remember there being other possibilities for acquiring a FS.

Had it been me I would've kept Reeves, slotted him as the #1 and have Quinn as the #2. First work Jackson into the nickle so he can get a feel for the speed of NFL WRs and then as the season progressed move him into a starting role.

You're right though, my best hope for the secondary at this point is that Cushing coming back gives a big boost to the front seven in getting pressure on the CB and him being our best cover Lber.

All bitching and nit-picking aside. With some luck this team has a chance to go 3-1 for the first quarter of the season without our defensive MVP. That's a a great leg up to make a run at the playoffs. I hope that the FO realizes this and decides to get off its ass and start scouring the league for a trade to make at FS.

HJam72

Hall of Fame
This team's been needing to get a real FS forever. That's why I can't hardly stand to follow the draft anymore.

Scooter

Funky
This team's been needing to get a real FS forever. That's why I can't hardly stand to follow the draft anymore.
you're not kidding. i (among many) was begging for us to trade up for sean taylor and have been hoping ever since that this would be the year we draft a centerfielder. heck i was even hoping for taylor mays as an upgrade over all but pollard in our secondary.

badboy

Hall of Fame
As it stands today, we are weak at free safety, defensive end, back up QB and Rb after Foster. Mock draft anyone?

barrett

All Pro
As it stands today, we are weak at free safety, defensive end, back up QB and Rb after Foster. Mock draft anyone?
S - We're not weak at free safety. Troy Nolan and Dominique Barber are unproven, not bad. Barber was much improved over the last 6 games when he was healthy and playing. Nolan looked good to great against lesser depth in the pre-season. If anything the depth looks to be brighter than the starter. Experience is critical at the free safety position and Kubiak is siding with Wilson first since he has more experience. With an injury, Barber will slide in. He has some experience and he'll play while Nolan cuts his teeth. By the end of the year you may see one of these two guys settled in as a regular starter.

DE - With the loss of Barwin for the year I can understand your concerns. But he'll be back and healthy next season. His ankle injury will heal completely. Antonio Smith has looks very good to great at times as well. He's the most disruptive player on the line. With Barwin back healthy next season, Mario, Smith and Barwin make for a very solid DE rotation.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Had it been me I would've kept Reeves, slotted him as the #1 and have Quinn as the #2. First work Jackson into the nickle so he can get a feel for the speed of NFL WRs and then as the season progressed move him into a starting role.
Is this because we believe Reeves wouldn't have got beat? Ever?

I mean if he were that good, why would we even think of letting him go?

Do you think Kareem wouldn't get beat if he were our nickel?

The truth is that Reeves would have got beat on the outside... Kareem would have got beat as the nickel.

So we aren't really losing anything with Kareem getting beat on the outside or McCain getting beat as the nickel.

I'm not getting it.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
you're not kidding. i (among many) was begging for us to trade up for sean taylor and have been hoping ever since that this would be the year we draft a centerfielder. heck i was even hoping for taylor mays as an upgrade over all but pollard in our secondary.
In Washington, it felt like there were two Laron Landryies out there.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
DE - With the loss of Barwin for the year I can understand your concerns. But he'll be back and healthy next season. His ankle injury will heal completely. Antonio Smith has looks very good to great at times as well. He's the most disruptive player on the line. With Barwin back healthy next season, Mario, Smith and Barwin make for a very solid DE rotation.
Not to mention Nading hasn't looked bad this year. He hasn't gotten a sack yet, but he looks as good as Bullman ever did (IMO). Better even.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
S - We're not weak at free safety. Troy Nolan and Dominique Barber are unproven, not bad.
The Texans are weak at FS. Barber is not unproven. He's been around and not shown much, to date. Nolan is a total unknown. It's not a court of law, where you're innocent until proven guilty. The Texans are "guilty" of having poor FS play until they have adequate FS play.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
He got a half sack on Manning with Mario. Just FYI. He has looked good generally.
He has looked good. As a good rotation guy, but not somone that is going to make many plays. He is a high effort guy, but not a high talent guy.

And you know that our fanbase expects a pro-bowl caliber player at every position. All 53 guys should be at least pro-bowl caliber. The starters should all be HOF material.

Even if they were, I am sure there would be complaints.

Rey

The Texans are weak at FS. Barber is not unproven. He's been around and not shown much, to date. Nolan is a total unknown. It's not a court of law, where you're innocent until proven guilty. The Texans are "guilty" of having poor FS play until they have adequate FS play.
Pretty much.

drs23

Veteran
He has looked good. As a good rotation guy, but not somone that is going to make many plays. He is a high effort guy, but not a high talent guy.

And you know that our fanbase expects a pro-bowl caliber player at every position. All 53 guys should be at least pro-bowl caliber. The starters should all be HOF material.

Even if they were, I am sure there would be complaints.
:goodpost:

MSR

jshabang

Quality Backup!
Texans have, in many instances, failed to play a back-up that has shown more flashes of being good than the starter.

IMO, they have mostly gone with the player that has been around longer or the player they specifically pegged as their guy rather than throwing a guy in who has shown flashes of being good.

Even when it was obvious that Slaton would out perform Ahman Green that year, they still went with Green until he got injured. The same thing with Foster last year. Jaques Reeves even started over Quinn until it was apparent he sucked.

My point is that just because the Texans peg a guy as a starter says nothing about the talent of the guy behind them.
this....exactly on point....couldnt have said it better myself

MojoMan

Hall of Fame
Perhaps a first round pick at free safety for the Texans in the 2011 NFL Draft would do the trick.

Just saying.

jshabang

Quality Backup!
barber sucks. He'll immediately be one of the very worst starting safeties in the league sunday, if not the worst. He is horrible. What kubes sees in this guy is beyond me because he is trash as a starting nfl safety. Always has been and always will be.

Not only that, but he is an in the box ss not a fs so exactly how is he supposed to help the pass coverage again? Then again the only real fs on the roster is eugene wilson who is playing more like flip wilson this year...except flip has better hands.

I blame this mess on rick smith and kubiak who repeatedly have had chances to address the safety position with legit nfl talent but prefer udfa's, and 6th and 7th rounders instead.

And the cb spot is equally bad, and it's painfully obvious that our 1st rounder is not going to ever meet up with his draft position. He'll get better, but he is mid round material at best. The rest of the guys are young, under-talented, or under-sized...or all of the above. And people wonder how we are giving up all this yardage? Lmao.

The only thing that can make a difference back there is cushing. Thank god. He might save our season yet.
spot on!!!!!!!!!! Barber is a joke at safety.....he sucks!!!!!!!....and yes he is worse than wilson by leaps and bounds.......horrible

Rey

Perhaps a first round pick at free safety for the Texans in the 2011 NFL Draft would do the trick.

Just saying.
Would not be opposed to that at all...

But honestly, I am really hoping that Nolan can step in there and be the guy we want...If nothing else, I'd like to see him become a guy that we aren't afraid to put on the field...

At this point, without knowing what the future has in store, I am really hoping for a dominant one technique that can replace Cody as a starter...I think Cody would be really good for us as a rotational player...

MojoMan

Hall of Fame
Would not be opposed to that at all...

But honestly, I am really hoping that Nolan can step in there and be the guy we want...If nothing else, I'd like to see him become a guy that we aren't afraid to put on the field...

At this point, without knowing what the future has in store, I am really hoping for a dominant one technique that can replace Cody as a starter...I think Cody would be really good for us as a rotational player...
I would like to see Barber prove all the nay-sayers in this tread wrong and become an all pro by the end of the year. Maybe that is too much to ask, but since he is going to start on Sunday regardless of anyone's opinion of him here, shouldn't all of us at least hope that Barber blows our expectations of him clean out of the water?

Seriously, some of you guys seem to have a bad attitude.

Rey

I would like to see Barber prove all the nay-sayers in this tread wrong and become an all pro by the end of the year. Maybe that is too much to ask, but since he is going to start on Sunday regardless of anyone's opinion of him here, shouldn't all of us at least hope that Barber blows our expectations of him clean out of the water?

You are right.

And I even posted that a few pages back...I think...If not in this thread it was another thread...

I think my explanation was pretty good on the dynamic of wanting Barber to do well but thinking Nolan potentially provides more at the position.

I don't want Barber to fail at all...Would love nothing more for him to become an All Pro...I don't think he's a bad player...

But I do think that Nolan has the higher upside there. That's really all there is to it. JMO though.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
I expect Barber to play a few plays and then Nolan to rotate in and never lose the position after that.

Kubes said that both guys will get some time. Kubes will go with the hot hand and he'll give Nolan his shot. And if Nolan gets his shot, he's going to be our new FS.

jshabang

Quality Backup!

:wadepalm::lol:

DexmanC

Hall of Fame
Whenever I see Barber back there, I'm reminded of the second game of
the year in Tennessee last season. Barber was walking up to the line,
screaming at the linebackers, when Chris Johnson walked out to the flank
completely uncovered. Collins quickly snapped the ball and tossed the ball
to Johnson, for the easiest touchdown I'd ever seen a player make.

jshabang

Quality Backup!
Whenever I see Barber back there, I'm reminded of the second game of
the year in Tennessee last season. Barber was walking up to the line,
screaming at the linebackers, when Chris Johnson walked out to the flank
completely uncovered. Collins quickly snapped the ball and tossed the ball
to Johnson, for the easiest touchdown I'd ever seen a player make.
smfh:brickwall:

jshabang

Quality Backup!
Lol..

I wonder where all the barber supporters are now....lol......this is not up for discussion anylonger.....and not to be spoke on again.......we said we wanted this nolan kid to get a chance and now u see why...hes a ballhawk...and thats something u cant teach

u either are a ballhawk or u are not...period