banks or ragone

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by utahmark, Aug 22, 2005.

1. utahmark

utahmark markbeth

there is a thead about banks at hpf.com. just wondering what you guys think about our back up qb situation. ragone has looked pretty good this preseason. im hoping that ragone takes the backup job. i think it would be good for the future of the team if we have our starter and backup set for the next 10 years.

2. Blake

Blake MMQB

Banks is still the #2. He is a vet, who can stay calm and collected durring the game. Davey still has alot of work to do IMO. He is the king of the 2nd tier QB's though. ;)

3. swisher

swisher Old School

Banks always looks like he's going through the motions while Ragone is out their fighting...I know that has to do with their situation, but Banks has never impressed me in that way.

To be honest, every offseason I expected Banks to move on. I think he likes the non-pressure of a backup. I can't blame him, I would love his job!

4. the wonger need food

the wonger need food Hall of Fame

This is one of the areas that the Texans have got to address. Make a note of the production other team's get from their backup QB's compared to the anemia that we call offense when Carr leaves the game. Bottom line is, Banks is a below average backup. We could have picked Kelly Holcombe or Mike McMahon in the offseason to mention a few. Heck, Vinny Testeverde would be a tremendous upgrade over Banks. I guess the front office would have a hard time getting Big Dave to sign off on that. We can't have him looking over his shoulder.

5. Texans86

Texans86 All Pro

I'm sure Carr would be shaking in his cleats that one of those guys would be taking his job. Carr has the confidence of everyone in the front office, even if he doesn't have it from some Texan fans.

6. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Personally, I'd go ahead and make the move. Ragone as #2, Banks out the door, and I'd start looking around for another young guy to take the 3 spot. Ragone is ready to be the backup.

7. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

Banks is our #2 guy. He looked bad against the Raiders.. but I blame that mostly on having Hollings as his RB. Ragone looked better.. and he had Morency.

Against the Broncos Banks looked better.. but he had Wells. Ragone looked worse.. and he had Hollings.

get rid of Hollings.

8. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

What has Ragone done to earn the #2 spot? OK he did great in NFLE, but come on, NFLE? I could see it next year if he has a solid preseason and a good regular season, but no this year.

9. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Banks has been inaccurate in camp and pre-season the last two years no matter whether Hollings is standing behind him or not. Bit off-base IMO to blame Banks' propensity to throw passes at the feet of, over the head of, or two steps behind his WR's on the RB.

10. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

im just going by what ive seen in the games Infantry.. havent seen em in practice. In game one against the broncos.. banks looked good.. but he had an effective running game going with Wells.

In game 2.. banks looked bad.. and Hollings wasnt able to do anything.

I just put 2 and 2 together.. sorry if its offbase.

11. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

I have a feeling Banks is our #2 until the end of the season and Ragone will take the #2 spot next season.

12. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

agreed.

if Ragone can provide confidence within this staff he will replace Banks, next year. the Texans will release Banks and use a mid level draft pick on a MAC QB named Darrell Hackney, Alabama-Birmingham :embarrass or another quality arm. Ragone strikes me as a competant career back-up, the Texans realize this & will need to groom a true NFL starting quality QB for the future.

13. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

I guess I am just seeing a different Banks. Banks was 4 of 9 against the Broncos. Below 50% isn't pretty good in my book. To me he looks inaccurate. That is a problem which exists independent of whoever the RB out there is. Basically, it seems better to me to look to Banks' performance for problems with Banks' performance before going to look at the RB especially in the pre-season when they aren't game planning for specific RB's and aren't making too many defensive adjustments within a series.

14. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

he was 4 of 9 against the broncs? wow.. ok you win heh. I remembered him looking better than that.. my mistake.

I still maintain that Hollings is useless though. I dont think it really matters if they are gameplanning around his abilities or not.. I saw him try and go inside..i saw him try and go outside.. and neither way was working. Morency made it work, Davis made it work, Wells made it work.. but Hollings couldnt do anything. I think the problem is hollings, not the way we use him.

15. M@DD Mike

M@DD Mike Rookie

Yeah both Banks and Hollings are garbage. Get them outta here!

16. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

What did Carr do to deserve the #1 spot? For that matter what did Brady do to deserve the #1 spot in New England? Sure both of them are better than Ragone but niether of them had two years to get ready and a season in NFLE.

Ragone is better than Banks IMO, hence I'd put him in the two spot. Banks is a veteran and unless he was interested in sticking around the rest of the year as the 3 I'd let him go look for a job he wanted in 2005. Come 2006 or if a kid I liked became available now I'd replace Banks with the youngster. The 3 spot is not where veterans go to die, it's where young QB's start out IMO.

17. z0rpAn

z0rpAn Veteran

you'd also have to consider that Banks would probably cost more with him at #3 with all his years than Ragone would be at #2.

18. Texans86

Texans86 All Pro

A quarterback of the future? Wow, our offensive line is killing us if we need to groom a quarterback of the future, when Carr is only entering his fourth season. I sure hope Carr has another season in him till we draft his replacement.

19. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I liked Ragone's leadership out there. On one frame I saw him rip into his offensive line and they started to move the ball alot better after that. To me that is what could make him the #2 guy but his experience for now will keep him on the pine.

20. Capster67

Capster67 Veteran

The offense has consistently looked directionless with Banks (minus the one TD toss to Murphy). A quarterback can't expect a running back (see Hollings versus Wells remark above) to bring it for him. The QB has to bring it to the team. We need someone with some zip on the ball, energy, and enthusiasm. Banks doesn't appear to be that person; Ragone does.