[Baltimore Sun] Ravens to cut or trade Vonta Leach

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by ASidd_1990, Jun 10, 2013.

1. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Veteran

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...rade-him-sources-say-20130610,0,1026908.story

Wow talk about a complete over haul of the roster.

2. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

At least he got a ring! :thumbup

3. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Sure like to see this guy in a Texans uniform again... :kitten:

Just dreamin'.

4. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

I think there's a place for a FB on a modern NFL roster. Just not a FB with a $4.3 million cap figure. Leach is the best at what he does. But what he does is not worth $4 million/year.

deucetx likes this.
  5. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

Would have loved to have him back, but we signed Greg Jones this offseason, and he's a very capable FB. I hope Vonta finds another gig somewhere that he will be appreciated. I know the Bucaneers have a lot of caproom, and man would Doug Martin be a beast with Vonta lead blocking for him!

6. kingtexan

kingtexan Hall of Fame

But but he was the greatest FB ever and we lost our minds for letting him go and it cost us everything, and and

:rolleyes:

7. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

I don't want to see an MJD-VL choo-choo train coming at us..........:kitten:

8. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

A. Jacksonville's had Greg Jones since before MJD got there. He may not be Vonta, but he ain't chopped liver.

B. MJD is coming back from a Lisfranc injury. I hear those can be tough to return from. :kitten:

9. Rey

Rey Guest

I like vonta, but I do think he's a bit overrated. I actually think Greg jones is better. Greg jones is going to be a monster leading the way.

Watch.

10. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Leach was a good Texan & I wish him well.

11. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I think a full back can earn $4.3M cap figure, had we been able to get 10 games or so every year from Casey, similar to that New Orleans game a few years back (5 caches, 126 yards, 14+ average, 1 TD)

But he'd have to be on a team where getting open quick is not such a premium (how many fullbacks can get out of the backfield & open quickly) or a team that plays well off script.

12. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

He gone!

13. tru80texan

tru80texan Veteran

Leach obviously believes his skills are worth more then what others believe they are worth. He was ultimately let go by the Ravens for the same reason the Texans let him go...money. I too believe he is bit overrated. Great blocker, but doesn't offer much else. I think Jones is a much better option as a ball carrier & receiver & isnt to shabby in the blocking department either. Good luck to Leach, but I kinda prefer Jones.

14. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

The Texans did not let him go. He was a UFA and someone else, i.e. the Ravens, valued him that much.

15. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Leach hasn't missed a game in 6 years, Jones has missed several. I do, however, think Jones can be a bit more versatile out of the backfield. Leach was always cut down by the 1st defender when he'd catch a ball in the flat. I think Jones might be a little more agile to avoid that 1st tackler.

I like Jones too....if he stays healthy. But, Leach was damn good for us and I'd have no problem at all if he came back. He was always one of my favorites. Good guy too

16. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Casey lined up wide like a WR on the play that produced the bulk of those yards. How many FBs can do that? And Casey is a H-Back that was used (misused?) as a FB. Not really like the type of FB Leach is, which is what I was referring to.

17. tru80texan

tru80texan Veteran

I'm aware that Leach was a UFA when he left the Texans, BUT his request in salary was the issue between him & the Texans & once again money was the ultimate reason they allowed him to walk via free agency.

Obviously the Ravens feel Leach isn't necessarily worth what they initially valued him at because he is currently unemployed & it was a result of his salary.

18. tru80texan

tru80texan Veteran

Hopefully Jones can avoid the injury bug this season, but to be fair Jones did break or fracture, can't quite remember which it was, his leg last season to end up on IR. Before that he had played 2 full seasons w/out injury. I do prefer Jones' versatility compared to Leach & still believe he is the better option IF he can stay healthy as you mentioned.