Baldinger: Bob McNair "content with mediocrity"

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Wolf, Feb 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Houst...Baldinger--Bob-McNair-content-with-mediocrity

2. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

there is a certain local radio host saying the same "Mighty" thing :)

3. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

And he is a DICK not because of his message but because of his delivery. Berating people, being repetitive, etc. Plus today he said the Jets improved from 8-8 so he knows shite.

Malloy likes this.
  4. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Hall of Fame

He's talking like his pinky....way out there.

Texan_Bill likes this.
  5. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

This thread is going nuclear in 3...2...1...

6. Goatcheese

Goatcheese Nightmare Over

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  7. BigTimeTexanFan

BigTimeTexanFan All Pro

I won't listen to that tool not because I don't agree with his message, but because he has absolutely no objectivity what so ever. Plus his message day in and day out is the exact same thing. Not sure what he will do for a show once the Texans finally make the playoffs.

8. DeMarCushPoll

DeMarCushPoll UDFA

The jets showed us what? That anyone can make to the playoffs when they're spotted two games?

He will choke on those words next season. AssBag!

How often do these so-called experts get it right anyway?

9. SheTexan

SheTexan Site Contributor

I think it's called "blind faith" rather than mediocrity. Our owner must have faith that Kubiak and the "good old boy's club" will eventually pull it off and take his team to the BIG SHOW! Who knows??! I'll guess we'll see this time next year!

10. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Exactly. There is no way McNair spends all this money because he WANTS an 8-8 team. He wants in the playoffs and in the Super Bowl just like every other owner. How he intends on getting the Texans there is the argument, not whether or not he WANTS to get there, because he does.

11. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

Add to Peter King speaking the truth this morning as well on 610.

King:"Listen, we sit every Sunday and wonder...how are the Texans going to screw up this game. It's not like they are going to get beat...they are going to find somehow to lose the game. Also, tell me a meaningful game that they have played in and won in the past three years. What, they beat the Colts once?"

Vandermeer: "Yeah, but we put on the 4 game winning streak at the end of the season to close out strong".

King: "But the barn door is shut at 5-7, I'm sorry. They shouldn't be in that situation."

Spoke the truth...and it hurts. I'm sure his podcast will be up shortly.

12. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

What a football guy saying what some of us have said....wow, maybe he should get an email to stick pink soap somewhere, that will teach him for thinking for himself.:kitten:

I'm glad there are some voices around town now that don't feel the need to just to follow a company line

Funny part about this is that I've sene King keep the Texans in his top 15 all year based on the talent they have. He has made some nice comments. So it isn't like his goal is to bag on them.

13. HuttoKarl

HuttoKarl Hall of Fame

It's harsh, but both Baldinger and King have a good point. (I've never said that about Peter King before, but a stopped clock is right twice a day...) Houston coaching and players (esp. C/K. Browns) put our team in a crappy position. Had we not shat the bed against Arizona and Tennessee and Indy twice, we wouldn't have to hear them say anything.

14. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

Wow, Baldinger seems out of touch with reality. I always enjoyed his analysis on NFLN, but that may change. It just didnt' seem very objective (going by the quote in the OP, I have not listened to the podcast yet).

15. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

It's simply a matter of being the youngest team in the NFL. I wonder if King was sitting watching N.O play the past two seasons and thinking the same thing?

It usually takes very young and talented teams a few years to work themselves over the hump... look at the following teams:

Baltimore Ravens 2000... they had something like three 8-8 seasons in a row leading into a decade of championship level football.

Tennessee Titans (late 1990s and early 2000s)... three or four seasons around .500

Arizona Cardinals 2008 3 or 4 consecutive 7-8 win teams before breaking through, barely.

It doesn't have to happen that way. Sure, the Texans could've won another game or two. But, they didn't. And, I don't think it says anything about the team going forward except how close to great they are. I'm hardly going to panic because Kris Brown, Chris Brown weren't clutch last year. If Schaub, AJ, Mario, Cushing, etc... were choking away games at the end, then I'd be worried.

16. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I typically agree with Baldinger. I believe he was one of a few people who praised the Texans for acquiring Matt Schaub. He even said not to be suprised if the Texans start to show improvement just from that transaction alone back then. So I respect what he has to say. Mostly what he says is true but I think he just doesn't agree with Kubiak as being the guy to take The Texans to the playoffs and that's where I disagree.

I believe Kubiak will get us there. He says we have had four years to make it right but really we've only had 3 in terms of Kubiak having a decent QB. Let's face it, Kubiak wanted to be a head coach so he let Bob Mcnair hear what he wanted - that we could win with David Carr. Then he showed Mcnair we couldn't, and he went and got a good one. Since then we've seen lots of improvement offensively and now his QB has full grasp of the offense. When it comes to defense, he's never had the DC he's wanted until this year and there was some good defensive play this year after the shaky first month. Our team is young but we got alot of returning people.

As much as I believe Kubiak is the guy to take us to the playoffs, this year is a very critical year for him IMO. If he can make the playoffs, can he get our team to show up and be successful? If he can't do that or even get us there period, he needs to be gone.

17. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

So inserting players that weren't clutch over and over and losing in the same painful way year after year doesn't say anything about a team going forward?I think that was King's and Balldingers point..it does.

18. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

I kinda get what he's saying, but you also have to look at the other side. This is a team that with a play here and there, they are a 12 win team. Do you really want to go with uncertainty when you truley are so close? Cower would be solid, but thats a change in scheme. IDK, I'm ok with the extension, cause if it doesn't work, Bob eats the cash.

thunderkyss likes this.
  19. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I agree.

This is a good point.

For me, I try to understand why he did what he did. If it made sense, even if it wasn't what I would have done.... then I've got to weigh that with the other tangibles Kubiak has done, good & bad alike. Then see if the bad out-weighs the good.

For the life of me, I can't understand how anyone's "score card" can be so overwhelmingly to the bad, that it justifies firing him.

20. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Well, when your starting HB is injured and your backup can't pass protect and also puts the ball on the ground, your choices quickly diminish. When your kicker, coming off an all-pro season, collapses in the middle of the season, there is not much to do. The thing to be excited about is that neither player will be on the roster, much less in a position to impact the games next year!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.