bah007 Updated Position Rankings - Offense

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by bah007, Mar 1, 2016.

1. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

What round(s) do you project your #5 QB prospect selected?

2. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

Oh I wouldn't say thaaaat...
    - Fran Tarkenton, Roger Staubach, Russell Wilson
    :D

3. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

I can understand that. Don't think he'll drop to the 3rd which is where I'd prefer him. How about Kaaya in the 3rd?

4. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

I would be one of those people. Though, I would prefer they get one of top 3 QB prospects. That's very unlikely, and Mahomes is right there with these guys as far as ability. The kid can get coached up, and the Texans have one of the top QB gurus. Right?

5. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

I have no idea where each would go. Personally, I don't have a 1st round grade on any of the QBs.

6. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Not a big fan of Kaaya either. I think he's draft-able based on pure talent, but I wouldn't want to use a 3rd.

JB likes this.
  7. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

The ability is there. No question. Personally, I just don't predict a successful transition.

By this point, I think we can all agree that this myth has been busted.

mussop likes this.
  8. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

But O'Brien turned Brady into a GOAT.

ObsiWan likes this.
  9. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Yes he did. Who could have predicted the effect that sideline squabble would have on such a mediocre talent?

10. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Sorry, can you assign Kelly a draft grade?

11. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

Warning!!
    Alternative Factoid Detected

12. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Hall of Fame

For the life of me I do not get these comparisons.

When I watch Mahomes I don't see anything like Manziel. IMO, Mahomes is 10x the qb johnny was coming out and he could easily end up being the top guy in this class.

Mahomes actually sits in the pocket and makes throws in a timely manner most times. He actually steps up into the pocket instead of looking to bail when a throw isn't immediately available.

He only averaged 2 yards per rushing attempt. Besides designed runs the guy rarely starts running around creating a scramble drill situation. He throws the ball away and takes sacks instead of free lancing and trying to make crazy plays.

I really could not disagree with the manziel comparison more. They are just both mobile and need mechanic work coming out work but they play the position nothing alike.

Corrosion likes this.
  13. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

See, as a UT fan I've watched him a ton. I've watched probably about 12 of his games. When I compare him to Manziel I'm talking about the backyard mentality, not necessarily running the ball. He doesn't stay inside the structure of the offense and improvises way too often when he doesn't need to. He has far better tools than Manziel. Not even close. I wouldn't have even entertained the idea of drafting Manziel. I could handle drafting Mahomes based on his skill set. I personally wouldn't but I get the draw. He has the tools.

I have seen Mahomes over and over again sit in the pocket too long and look right past open receivers. He doesn't look to bail early, but he sits there so long that he is eventually forced to bail. To his credit, he doesn't bail to run. He bails to buy time for a receiver to get open. But on a vast majority of these plays he already had a guy open and didn't see him.

He doesn't anticipate very well. He doesn't throw guys open, he waits until they are wide open to throw. To his credit, when he finally decided to throw it is a strike. He doesn't read defenses well. He looks right past open guys in his field of vision. He heaves up a ton of prayers when he had a five yard completion staring him in the face. To his credit, he has a cannon and he's accurate, so he completes more of those prayers than he probably should.

I don't like his mechanics. I don't like his footwork balance. He throws off of one foot way too often.

I see the easily projectable tools. He has size. He's accurate. He's got a huge arm. He's athletic. But none of that is any good if the other stuff isn't fixed.

14. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

This is pretty much what I've seen. The thing that bothers me the most is him throwing off his back foot, sometimes while fading away and turning away from a hit. That just isn't going to work in the NFL and he did it often from what I saw. He looks scared to take a hit while in his throwing motion. QBs have to be willing to make a throw when they know they are going to get it afterward, and I saw a great deal of avoidance from him in that.

15. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Does anyone see O'Brien going with three QBs he has?

16. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

No. I think 1 will be drafted and then most likely Weeden but possibly Savage will be gone.

PapaL likes this.
  17. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

thanks.

18. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

I still believe Osweiler will be gone.

19. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Bob/Cal/Ricky McNair wont let that happen.

20. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Gone this season increasing his cap from $19 m to 25? Other than opening roster spot, that would be financial lunacy, would it not?