bah007 Updated Position Rankings - Offense

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by bah007, Mar 1, 2016.

1. TexansFTW

TexansFTW Hall of Fame

Being a winner is a big deal for me in drafting a QB. This guy just wins football games. Everyone understands he's got a lot of talent around him and he makes his share of mistakes, but when the game is on the line he doesn't throw that pick 6, he picks up 6.

2. rmartin65

rmartin65 Phil Kessel: Nice Guy. Tries Hard.

Alright draft gurus-

Ashland TE Adam Shaheen

thunderkyss likes this.
  3. leebigeztx

leebigeztx Keep it Movin!

Watt fits the mold physically and production wise. I like simon, but can't stay on the field. I like Watt alot.

4. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

I'd take Pat Mahomes before Watson.

Same high risk, but I like his potential more.

Probably need to sit at least a year or two unless some HC is willing to tailor to his game.

His footwork is all over the place, yet his TD/INT ratio is better than 3 to 1.

I'm going Trubisky, Kizer, Mahomes.

steelbtexan likes this.
  5. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Man your off but not alone. Watson is a great kid (young man) if he falls I'd be all in for the city of Houston. Cut another Cancer, take your lumps & move on.

6. WolverineFan

WolverineFan Hall of Fame

I'm not all that optimistic on Watson's skill set translating but there is zero doubt that he is a home run on intangibles. I don't really like any of the QB's this year but if we had the pick of the litter at 25 I'd probably take Watson because of the intangibles and just hope our guys could coach him up.

7. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Same here. Plus it would make me feel better about the fact this team is gonna trot Osweiler as QB to start the season most likely. You put him and #1 draft pick like Watson to be ready to take over, then as a fan base, I would be with the understanding that we are trying to correct a mistake at QB.

8. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Coach him up on reads. He already goes through his progressions, same thing I said about Dak last year but he has better pocket presence and ability to escape & extend plays with his legs. Accuracy seems on point with Cam when he came out & he improved as you say, coached him up. It's really a basket of intangibles he brings, people seem to gravitate towards him and that's something Texans sorely lack. I really don't like drafting QB based on potential, even though they all are, projects in almost every sense of the word, but he is the most battle tested, most ready to step into a starting role.

9. zshawn10

zshawn10 Veteran

thunderkyss likes this.
  10. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder King of the Potato People

It's not like the Big 12 plays a whole lot of defense though. Probably the worst major conference when it comes to total defense. iirc, the highest rated D in the B12 was OU at ~49.

76Texan and Lucky like this.

11. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

I had noticed that you don't have Mahomes on the list?
    Reasons?
    Any change in evaluation?

P.S. - Wrong quote, but you know what I mean.

12. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

@bah007 I know you do tier rankings. I see that you have 2 guys in between Fournette and Cook and my question is, where do you rate those 4 in tiers and what rounds do you project them?

13. Max

Max Veteran

If Ramczyk, Bolles and Robinson are gone -- is there anyone we could draft later at RT who's an upgrade that can start day 1?

edit: Is there ANYONE that you covet enough at 25 that you wouldn't trade out of the 1st for? It's feeling like there's many good options at 25 but nothing great -- just thinking that this may be a year we trade down and accumulate some picks.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  14. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

My evaluation of Cook is still the same, but my projection of those skills is actually changing. I previously believed that his game would not translate 100% to the pros because it is too predicated on speed. I still do think that he will have more trouble than expected going up the middle at the next level but his explosion on the edge and in the passing game will more than balance that out.

When I update, he will be squarely in the first tier of RBs with Fournette. I actually don't have Fournette as a top 5-10 guy as most do. Too much injury history for me, and too easy to find talent at the position later in the draft. I think Fournette is a top 20 guy and Cook is top 30.

TexansSeminole likes this.
  15. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

I think Moton in the 2nd or Holden in the 3rd could start at RT for us pretty early on.

If Malik Hooker, Zach Cunningham, or Bolles were there I would take them without hesitation. I wouldn't even entertain a trade back. I would actually trade up for Hooker to a certain point, which is something I usually advise heavily against.

Max likes this.
  16. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

I would trade up for hooker. I can't see him falling to 25. Bolles would be a great pick @ 25. Have feeling he will be gone also.

jradMIT likes this.
  17. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

No mahomes??

18. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Wherever I was, I was more than likely drunk
    What are your thoughts on Kizer? Would he fit?

19. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

He has the physical tools but I'm not a big fan. I think it would be very possible to teach him a pro offense but I don't think that you can teach a guy how to change his style of play without taking away his special traits. Mahomes is way too off-schedule for me. He gets nicked up a lot. I don't like his footwork in the pocket at all. And he misses way too many reads, even in an easy-read system. I get the appeal. Just not for me. To me he is Manziel with better size and no off-field issues. A lot of people would say that sounds great. Not me. I don't see the transition. Backyard football doesn't work consistently in the NFL.

mussop and JB like this.
  20. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Kizer would need a ton of work but I do like him as a project. I would hesitate greatly to use a 1st on him because I do not see him getting onto the field anytime soon, but I could still be swayed into using a high pick if I had confidence that he was going to be coached up and developed correctly.

JB likes this.