Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

bah007 2017 Texans Mock

bah007

Hall of Fame
1.25 Dion Dawkins – OT, Temple

- I love this guy. Dawkins is an immediate starter at RT and when Brown is done, he is our LT of the future. Some people have dinged him for measuring 6’4” but he has one of the longer wingspans in this draft. I will take long arms over a long torso for an OT. Great feet, great athleticism, and a great blocker. That’s everything I need here. Marcus Williams was a close second at this spot.

2.57 Josh Jones – S, North Carolina St

- I think Jones is a borderline first round talent in most drafts. Luckily, he falls here because this DB class is so loaded at the top. He needs to be more disciplined in coverage but that can improve with experience. Ideally, Jones is a versatile SS that can do everything. That is the long-term plan. But on this roster, he is the closest thing we have to a FS. We’ll put him deep where he can use his speed and playmaking ability to disrupt the middle of the field. He has more range than Hal, plus Hal is probably better suited for coverage work underneath. I thought hard about Nathan Peterman here, but I think I can get a QB I like at the next spot.

3.89 Brad Kaaya – QB, Miami

- This won’t be everybody’s favorite decision at this position, but I think this is where we get the best bang for our buck. I would take Trubisky in the first but I do not see him being available. Watson isn’t a sure thing but I would consider him. I think he’ll be off the board anyway. After that, I don’t trust Mahomes and Kizer. I get what people see but I do not share in the love affair. I think both have too many flaws to overcome. I am targeting either Peterman or Kaaya. Kaaya’s mechanics and footwork are clean and efficient. His accuracy has improved each year in college. He has experience reading defenses on his own, going through progressions, and throwing into real windows. Really, the only issue I see is that he has a tendency to freeze under pressure. His internal clock actually runs a little fast and he needs to slow down. That is the opposite problem that Savage has. He is the rare QB prospect who I think has actually been over-coached. He takes very good care of the ball, almost to the point of being overly conservative. I would like to see him get out of his own head a little bit and let it rip more often. The real coaching he needs is for someone to help him trust his instincts instead of overanalyzing. Kaaya will need to adapt to the speed of the game, but I think he is pretty close to pro ready and has potential as a future starter.

4.130 Jeremy McNichols – RB, Boise St

- I don’t think RB is an absolute need in this draft but the class is loaded and a stud is likely to fall due to the depth. McNichols is that stud to me. Much like former teammate Jay Ajayi, McNichols doesn’t get the credit he deserves because he is so well rounded. He doesn’t have a skill or trait that just jumps off the page. But he does everything. He does it all well too. I think he is a top five back in this class but most people think he’ll be available at this point. I pull the trigger without hesitation. He immediately steps in as the top backup behind Miller. I don’t think he will ever carry an entire offense, but he has the ability to be the top back in an effective two-man rotation.

4.142 Chase Roullier – OL, Wyoming

- I have a chance to double dip on the OL here and I’m going to take it. Roullier is a guy that I’ve been watching closely for over a year. He just jumped off the screen to me when I was scouting Brian Hill last year. He is an absolute beast in the run game. He does not lose blocks on running plays. Period. He is mean as hell and loves to push people around. He may be limited in how well he can move and he isn’t polished as a pass protector but I love him as a C or RG. This pick gives us options with our OL for next year. I actually like Nick Martin more as a LG than a C. I would go Brown/Martin/Roullier/XSF/Dawkins on the OL. Su’a-Filo and Allen battle for that starting spot. The loser plays from the bench this year and is gone next year. Or you could go Brown/XSF/Martin/Roullier/Dawkins. Doesn’t matter. Either way the OL is much improved this season and in the future.

5.169 Jordan Evans – LB, Oklahoma

- We’ve changed up the OL. Now it’s time to change up the LBs. My plan at LB is to move Cushing to SAM. He can set the edge and blitz from that position. He can still play inside situationally, but I think McKinney is ready to handle the load in the middle. What Cushing can’t do well anymore is move around in space on a consistent basis. So I want a guy at WILL that can cover extra ground. Evans is that guy. He is a sideline-to-sideline playmaker with great instincts. He reacts fast and he plays fast. He needs to toughen up a little bit and play with more physicality but I think he is capable of that. He starts as a nickel backer and eventually transitions his skill set into the full time WILB position in our 3-4.

7.243 Jacob Hollister – TE, Wyoming

- The deep TE class in this draft pays off for us here and we get a steal. Hollister is a weapon up the seam. He is a former QB that understands defenses and how to find the soft spots in zone. He runs good routes and has natural hands. He will probably never be a solid blocker at the pro level but with time he can be good enough to fit as a move TE, chipping or helping with double teams on the edge. He starts as a jumbo slot WR much like Jimmy Graham was when he entered the league. The long-term plan is to improve his blocking enough that we can move him around and attack defenses with his versatility. He has high upside as a #2 TE.

- I do not normally project UDFAs because that is an even more useless exercise than a mock draft is. However, here are a few guys that I would like the Texans to target if they do indeed slip through the cracks. I won’t project any of these guys onto the roster but I think they are all capable of beating someone out and making the squad should we sign them.

Austin Carr – WR, Northwestern (lack of athleticism limits him to slot but he finds ways to get open)
Trent Taylor – WR, Louisiana Tech (undersized slot guy in the Cole Beasley mold)
DeAngelo Brown – NT, Louisville (two-gap run plugger that could spell Reader situationally)
Tanner Vallejo – MIKE, Boise St (athletic middle man with special teams versatility, coming off injury)
Keion Adams – SAM, Western Michigan (versatile defensive weapon that projects well to our scheme)
William Likely – CB, Maryland (dynamic athlete that will be limited to slot duties because of size)
Sojourn Shelton – CB, Wisconsin (sticky cover man that could fall through the draft due to size)

Projected Final 53:

QB Tom Savage, Brandon Weeden, Brad Kaaya

RB Lamar Miller, Jeremy McNichols, Akeem Hunt, Tyler Ervin

FB Jay Prosch

WR DeAndre Hopkins, Will Fuller, Jaelen Strong, Braxton Miller, Wendell Williams

TE Ryan Griffin, C.J. Fiedorowicz, Jacob Hollister, Stephen Anderson

OT Duane Brown, Dion Dawkins, Chris Clark, Kendall Lamm

OL Xavier Su’a-Filo, Jeff Allen, Nick Martin, Chase Roullier, Greg Mancz

DE J.J. Watt, Jadeveon Clowney, Joel Heath

DL D.J. Reader, Christian Covington, Brandon Dunn

JACK Whitney Mercilus, Brennan Scarlett

WILL Jordan Evans, Brian Peters

MIKE Benardrick McKinney, Max Bullough

SAM Brian Cushing, Tony Washington

CB Johnathan Joseph, Kevin Johnson, Kareem Jackson, Robert Nelson, Denzel Rice

S Josh Jones, Andre Hal, Corey Moore, Eddie Pleasant, K.J. Dillon

K Ka’imi Fairbairn

P Shane Lechler

LS Jonathan Weeks

Last edited:
I like how the OL got fixed with Dawkins/Roullier. Two of my favorite OL in this draft. Thanks for turning me on to Roullier. He and Dawkins provide a much needed toughness to the OL.

Love the Jones pick and think he will be available around the Texans pick in Rd. 2. Finally an athletic S that has range and is a good tackler. The new Grover Quin.

Hope you're right on Kaaya, I have my doubts. I love Peterman and would be willing to trade your McNichols pick to go along with the Kaaya pick to trade up to get Peterman.

McNichols- I like him but if this pick isn't used to trade up then taking a CB would be my pick. I like Howard Wilson. You know Ricky will pick a CB somewhere in the draft.

5. Evans- love this pick, a really good fit fir the LB corps.

7. Hollister- Has potential to be really good, great late rd flier.

25th - like position and player but only if they trade back.
57th - like this position as well but believe Texans are hopeful about Dillion.
89th - knocking out positions of need. Thinking along same lines, not sold on top 3 QB prospects still being available or fits in Texan scheme.
130th - love position and player here.
142nd - love position and versatility.
169th - love value and fit
243rd - love position and playmaking ability.

Really strong finish from 4th round on. I think Texans may just draft a guy to develop @ QB than force someone into pressure situation. Lot to like about Kaaya I just have someone else I like a lot more. Also like trading out of the first adding a pick then selecting OT and CB. Overall tremendous job!!!

Love the Dawkins pick. I'm a big fan. Agree that he's an OT and a very good one. Reminds me of Duane Brown.

Need to add a Safety so Jones fits the bill in the 2nd. Reminds me of Sean Davis who the Steelers drafted 2nd round last year. Great athlete with versatile skill set but needs to touch some things up in coverage. I like Dillon but he's battled injuries and, IMO, you need 3 good Safeties in today's NFL.

We're on the same page on Kaaya. Smart kid, good mechanics, good physical tools, but that reaction to pressure is a problem. It destroyed Blaine Gabbert's career and if Kaaya can't get it cleaned up (which won't be easy) then he's not going anywhere in the NFL.

McNichols definitely going under the radar but it's a great RB class so it's going to happen to some guys. Big upgrade on Alfred Blue.

Roullier is a good interior prospect. Would give Texans more versatility with Martin. Love the two OL picks.

Evans definitely a sideline-to-sideline guy but will really need to rely on guys up front to keep him clean. I worry about Cushing at SAM though. He can still attack the LOS but playing on the edge with that lack of lateral mobility would be worrying.

Hollister is a ball of clay. Great athlete, good receiver, but just not there as a blocker. Pure flex option with developmental upside. Good pick late.

Overall I really like it. Would like more picks for depth on defense (especially DL) and take a stab at CB but can't really knock any of the offensive picks.

If all they came away with at the QB position was Kaaya .... I would be very disappointed.

Reactions: JB
I didn't mock any trades because it takes all the realism out of an already unrealistic exercise. But if I were to, I would say that we can probably trade down a few spots in the 1st and still land Dawkins. And in a perfect world, we would then use the picks from that trade to package with #89 to move up for Peterman. We probably still end up giving away #130 in any trade up. But hopefully we are able to move back up without giving away any more of next year's picks. Maybe we give away both 4's but gain a 6th.

One more thing about my philosophy in this draft. I don't see Savage working out. And if Savage doesn't work out then OB should be gone. Savage is OB's guy, whether he wanted it that way or not. I see no point in using a top pick on QB in this draft for that and a few other reasons. One, if Savage does somehow work out then we don't need a first round QB. Two, if OB is out there is no reason to stick a first round QB on a new staff that didn't choose him. Three, I don't trust any of the top QBs anyway.

Either take Peterman at #57, trade up for him from #89, or take Kaaya at #89. Both of those guys have starter potential but neither comes with the expectation that a new staff would be forced to develop them instead of picking their own guy. And like I said, if Savage did work out then these two guys are pro ready backups, not long term projects.

Back