BADBOY's 2019 offseason FA, trade possibilities and draft thoughts

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by badboy, Mar 1, 2019.

1. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

After the two DB signing, I only expect 1 DB (likely corner) to be taken in the first two days. I'd love to see us get an OT and an interior guy.

steelbtexan likes this.
  2. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Missed that thanks! Will add post soon on others I'm looking at. If you catch any info please update; my schedule busy this week reducing my time.

Lucky likes this.
  3. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Good scouts are at least a year ahead.

steelbtexan likes this.
  4. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I'm thinking we still will need depth at DB and many very good corners this draft. We will need replacement for Joseph after this year (why I wanted Darby) although Texans may wait and use high pick 2020 and get starter but that is more risky than getting one now to train. I want a replacement for Colvin as his future is so iffy. His dead $ so high it will be there regardless how he does so as with Joseph get someone now Julian Love). Robey wants to cash out if he does well and no reason to spend huge dollars if we can get someone now. IMO, there are more than one corners who could start this season and Gaines has wisely shown he doesn't spend recklessly. I'd rather address these three spots now when we have excellent candidates at our picks

5. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

If we're wishful thinking, I would like the Texans to trade back in the 1st, possibly early 2nd. It would be great to pickup an extra 3rd in this draft, where there will be value on the 2nd day at interior line and the secondary.

OptimisticTexan and JB like this.
  6. cuppacoffee

cuppacoffee Resident Grouch

Amen on that.

If the Oz debacle hasn't shown the folly in making big splashes in FA nothing will.

Some of the big FA signings this year will not look so big next year.

I like what Gaine has done so far.

I'm comfortable until draft day.

:coffee:

JB likes this.
  7. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Considering that the Texans do have extra cap space, I wonder if there is a team out there so desperate to dump a player they would consider the Rick Smith maneuver? The Texans take on a bad contract for a pick. Why not, if they aren't using the cap room?

otisbean and OptimisticTexan like this.
  8. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I agree but just depends on who's there at 23 and if they would remain on board a bit. It's hard for me to look past Ferguson who imo is perfect replacement for Clowney whether he is traded or not.

OptimisticTexan likes this.
  9. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

:spit: You know how I felt about Rick's stupid maneuver.

I like your idea of using it against someone here though. Yeah, why not. There is bound to be someone that has some bad contracts they need to dump. Yeah, we should take it for future draft assets if we don't plan on using the money any way.

10. Wolf12339

Wolf12339 Rookie

I'd love this but don't even understand why the Texans did it..

11. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

The only comparable contract situation I'm aware of to Osweiler is the Skins deal with Alex Smith. He still has $21.6 million of signing bonus to amortize. That's not going away. But, he also has $31 million of guaranteed salary over 2019 & 2020. That could go away if they traded Smith. But who would trade for that contract and player who may never play again? A team with cap space they aren't using.

Are the Skins in cap trouble enough to trade a pick to get rid of Smith's guaranteed money? I don't know. They have about $10 million in cap room still. But, that's the kind of situation that a cap strapped team might want to deal with a bad contract, as opposed to cutting valuable players or restructuring contracts and pushing cap hits into the future.

12. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I'm hearing Eagles offer CB Ron Darby 1 year $10 million but he failed physical

steelbtexan likes this.
  13. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Darby did sign

14. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Interesting may be whom is cut in NFL after draft. Several players cut to save cap perhaps others Texans could use will be cut when teams have secured quality draft pick(s). For example, NE with 1.32, 2.56 and 2.64 could pick replacements and let go some quality. Green Bay with 1.30, 2.44 and 3.75 similarly. Would you take those packages if offered for Jadeveon? I would.

15. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Ian Rapoport of NFL Network Insider just reported that Miss State DE has a pre-existing heart condition that was not publicly known before Indy with combine medics allowing to participate as "low risk". His doctors refer to privacy but "medically cleared for SEC season, Senior Bowl and combine." No diagnosis.

16. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

One of my under radar guys corner Donnie Lewis had meeting with Saints who he said were impressed how quick he caught on after diagramming plays. Saints aware of own backyard and this Tulane player. Lewis said he is to meet Texans. He is recovering from a Jones fracture that occurred 2nd practice before Shrine game. Love to get him as UDFA and see him as a FS as well as corner.

17. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

A thought: Giants select RT Jumann Taylor #6. Trade #17 for Clowney and TE Griffen. OT Jonah Williams falls to Houston at #17. Greedy Williams #23. CB Julian Love # 54 and RB Damien Harris #55.

18. justmy2cents

justmy2cents Veteran

Who will play right tackle ?

19. AngryNateFTW

AngryNateFTW All Pro

Clowney is worth more than just a 1st. What else did they give us?

20. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

If Jonah W beats out D, Henderson remains RT with my third round Max Scharping pushing him. I don't see Gaines spending any our top three on two OTs when he obviously thinks S.H. can be starter. If Jonah doesn't beat out D he challenges RT.