Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Badboy's 2011 mock after 1/4 season

badboy

Hall of Fame
3-1 and of course areas of interests keep shifting but I think I've seen enough to give me a "general overview" of what I'd do next draft. First, Foster is the real deal and resolves my howling for a strong, big back to move the pile and get a TD or firsts. I'm not surprised at his down field ability but very happy with his receiving ability. Until Oakland, I had a 5th and 7th dedicated to RB just in case. Tate will be our Rb "selection" 2011. I was very impressed with Derrick Ward and if he remains healthy, our RB cadre is solid. Selecting at #25:

1.Rasi-Dowling Virginia CB/ FS 6'2" 200lb that I move to FS where his 4.54 is no problem, with good burst to close and fluid hips. If Wilson can be moved from Cb so can Dowling. http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=69679&draftyear=2011&genpos=CB

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2010rdowling.php

2. Jimmy Smith Colorado CB/FS 6'2" 205lbs 4.49 here is my "shut down corner" and with my first two picks I've add a lot of height without sacrificing speed.
3. Sam Acho U.TX. DE 6'3" 260 4.72 my Barwin insurance
4. Nathan Enderle Idaho QB 6'4" 234 lbs 4.98 I'm so cautious on this guy as his INTs are way up. Good skill set. Leinert will be gone and who knows about Dan O?
5. I really want a DT but don't see one this late. Suggestions? Soem have said WR.
6. Chris Prosinski Wyoming SS/FS 6'1" 209 lbs 4.54 A tackling machine to back up Pollard. THis guy loves to hit but has speed to cover.
7. BPA

If anyone has ESPN U and can watch the Virgina vs. Georgia Tech this weekend I would appreciate info on Virginia's defensive backs especially Dowling. He is described on NFLdraftscout.com with "fluid hips" but I am concerned that may not be accurate. At FS, it would not matter as much but he is listed as a corner. He is coming off an injury so I am curious of your opinions.

You see Acho falling to the 3rd round?
Yes. Texas has fallen out of the rankings and will soon become a laughing stock imo. After a bye they play Nebraska and many are anticipating another loss. Acho is not playing poorly but neither has he stepped up to be a name on the tongue of the announcers. He is rated #10 DE by NFLdraftscout.com and #8 by Walterfootball.com. I have him rated 3rd round based on his last season. I still think he would be a very good player on Texans but he will have to step up rest of season and have a good combine. I would not be surprised if he skipped that. He really needs to have a good season.

Here's my latest:

1. Brandon Harris-CB, our secondary is a major weakness and quality help is needed. Starter.
2. Jarvis Jenkins-DT, great size and speed he should replace Cody and/or Robinson. Starter.
3. Quinton Carter-FS, good size and college production. Can battle for the starter position with Nolan.
4. K.J. Wright-OLB, backup at SLB and MLB, replaces Bentley, great size and speed.
5. James Carpenter-OT/OG, backup utility O-lineman, should replace Studdard and/or Brisiel.
6. Tejay Johnson-SS, good college production, backup SS that replaces Barber.
7. Butch Lewis-OT, backup OT and insurance if we lose Butler to FA.

Last edited:
As always I appreciate the continuation of the mock talk. I believe that a QB and possibly a WR will be drafted this year.

Interested to see if Nolan can lock down the FS position, but I believe we still have to improve the secondary.

Positions of interest for me, in no order: FS/CB, QB, WR, DE and C

As always I appreciate the continuation of the mock talk. I believe that a QB and possibly a WR will be drafted this year.

Interested to see if Nolan can lock down the FS position, but I believe we still have to improve the secondary.

Nolan should start but not sure he is our final answer. He appears better than Wilson but he happens to be in the right place for INTs. Problem with that is I think Barber had one or two of those last season. If we can get a fast ball hog, I'd draft one.

Agree on QB. I think its very likely that the Dan - O experiment ends after this year and dollars to donuts Matt Leinart ends up in Seattle with Carroll.

I don't think we'll see another WR drafted, unless its late.

I think the rest of season could be an audition for Nolan, I'm curious to see if he can be a solution. If nothing else we have a legit backup at FS if we decide to draft one early.

I'd like to see us continue to upgrade the interior of the OL. Myers has looked not too bad, but then again when you have competent guard play that allows him to do what he does best; work in space and get to the second level quickly. I'd still like to see us look at more depth at guard and possibly a replacement at center. Though some people swore up and down about Brisiel's consistency you couldn't have him and Myers out there at the same time.

Wouldn't surprise me to see CB picked in the second. I like McCain, but as I've said before he's to small. Molden has yet to show me something and McMannis is an unknown.

Agree on QB. I think its very likely that the Dan - O experiment ends after this year and dollars to donuts Matt Leinart ends up in Seattle with Carroll.

I think the rest of season could be an audition for Nolan, I'm curious to see if he can be a solution. If nothing else we have a legit backup at FS if we decide to draft one early.

I'd like to see us continue to upgrade the interior of the OL. Myers has looked not too bad, but then again when you have competent guard play that allows him to do what he does best; work in space and get to the second level quickly. I'd still like to see us look at more depth at guard and possibly a replacement at center. Though some people swore up and down about Brisiel's consistency you couldn't have him and Myers out there at the same time.

Wouldn't surprise me to see CB picked in the second. I like McCain, but as I've said before he's to small. Molden has yet to show me something and McMannis is an unknown.

I cringe at our prospects when AJ is out, and Dickerson still learning. I just do not see Jones and Anderson as viable options for a sixteen game jaunt to the playoffs.

The one good thing is that the team as a whole has become more talented and deeper, but feel we can still get better - just depends on the staff and personnel department having the stomach to part ways with good people who can help in spots.

Myers has played better, but once again we can get better behind him.

I agree on Leinert who will be another Rex Grossman. I have heard nothing recently on Orslovsky and was hoping we could get him in at the end against Raiders.

Kt, I understand the concern when AJ or JJ goes out but I think we are set with Walter, and Anderson + Dickerson is a AJ clone and I think he will do well. I think DD was drafted to take Andre Davis's spot after this season especially with Davis injured. 5 Wr + our TEs rules out a WR for me in draft but you can put up a good arguement for one.
DBs I want at least two very good starters and one back up. For me that would be Pollard, Rahim Moore or Deandre McDaniels and Nolan.

Round 1

While I do think Dowling can make the transition from CB to FS (as I feel it will be his position in the pros), I would pick another FS. North Carolina FS Deunta Williams. At 6’1” 210 lbs, he has prototypical size and speed. As a converted receiver, he has the hands to make the interceptions we as fans want to see so much. Right now, his stock has taken a heavy hit due to his suspension for receiving benefits. However, I foresee him jumping back into first round discussion when he gets on the field.

Round 2

No change here. Colorado CB Jimmy Smith

Round 3

Here I will make my first real break from your mock. While a pass rusher is a need, I don’t think it needs to be this early. I am going to draft Oklahoma DT Adrian Taylor. Once thought of as a first round prospect, he broke his leg in last year’s bowl game, and has struggled so far this year. At 6’4” 300 lbs, he has the right size for a NT in the Texans scheme.

Round 4

I like Enderle. I really do, and I was on the bandwagon in the beginning of the year. But he has looked bad this year. I will wait on a QB until later, and take Stanford FB Owen Marecic. A hardnosed player, Marecic will be the backup FB (I think OD is gone after this year, and Casey moves into more of a TE) and special teams ace. In a couple years, once Leach retires, Marecic will be perfect for the starting role.

Round 5

Here is where I take my pass rusher as Barwin insurance. I like Nevada DE/OLB Dontay Moch. 6’1” 245 lbs, and he runs a 4.38. However, he is very raw, which is why I have him ranked lower than most sites out there.

Round 6

Chris Prosinski is a great backup FS/SS.

Round 7

And like I promised in round 4, I will address the backup QB issue. As some of you may know, I am currently in the heart of Big 10 country. Therefore, I end up watching a lot of Big 10 games- not always the good teams. And one player that caught my eye last year, and has done nothing to disappoint so far this year, is Indiana QB Ben Chappell. A little short at 6’2”, but a well built 240, Chappell is one of the most underrated prospects in the nation. Not a rocket arm, but enough to make all the throws (kind of like Schaub. Maybe a little better). Great accuracy. Improving decision making (threw his first pick of the season last week), and tough as nails. Let him be groomed behind Schaub for a couple years, and we may have a starting QB waiting in the wings.

Kt, I understand the concern when AJ or JJ goes out but I think we are set with Walter, and Anderson + Dickerson is a AJ clone and I think he will do well. I think DD was drafted to take Andre Davis's spot after this season especially with Davis injured. 5 Wr + our TEs rules out a WR for me in draft but you can put up a good arguement for one.
DBs I want at least two very good starters and one back up. For me that would be Pollard, Rahim Moore or Deandre McDaniels and Nolan.

I am fine with Walter and a developing Dickerson, with Davis done. IMO our weakness at the position is with Jones and Anderson. Jones has great potential to help and hurt the team, but I think we can do better at a lower cost (rookie versus a new contract with JJ).

Anderson is a lot like JJ, but at another angle. DA knows the playbook, and by all accounts is a great locker room guy, however, he gets lost out there due to his size and, by my eyes, not speedy enough to get into space. I think we can do better on the field, but do not discount the value in a great locker room guy, who can get the coach's ear.

In the end I don't think Jacoby will be back, and with Davis gone we will be looking for a WR in the first three rounds.

1) DT Marvin Austin North Carolina 6'3 310 - Big, nimble and quick. Would be a good player to have in this defense. Would give us some size up front without losing any quickness.

2) CB Curtis Brown Texas 6'0 180 - Athletic and fast with good size. Good hands. He would be a mutant version of Brice McCain.

3) RB Noel Devine 5' 8 180 - Fast guy. I see him as a guy that can come in and be a Trindon Holiday type, except more adept on offense. I think he is a guy that can challenge DA for playing time in the slot as well as be a guy that can take some carries in the backfield. Plus he should be able to help return kicks as well and hopefully let Slaton become a true #2 RB.

4) FS Jaiquawn Jarrett Temple 6'0 197, Good physical tackler. Plays well in pass coverage. Instinctive guy that really flies to the ball.

3-1 and of course areas of interests keep shifting but I think I've seen enough to give me a "general overview" of what I'd do next draft. First, Foster is the real deal and resolves my howling for a strong, big back to move the pile and get a TD or firsts. I'm not surprised at his down field ability but very happy with his receiving ability. Until Oakland, I had a 5th and 7th dedicated to RB just in case. Tate will be our Rb "selection" 2011. I was very impressed with Derrick Ward and if he remains healthy, our RB cadre is solid. Selecting at #25:

1.Rasi-Dowling Virginia CB/ FS 6'2" 200lb that I move to FS where his 4.54 is no problem, with good burst to close and fluid hips. If Wilson can be moved from Cb so can Dowling. http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=69679&draftyear=2011&genpos=CB

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2010rdowling.php

2. Jimmy Smith Colorado CB/FS 6'2" 205lbs 4.49 here is my "shut down corner" and with my first two picks I've add a lot of height without sacrificing speed.
3. Sam Acho U.TX. DE 6'3" 260 4.72 my Barwin insurance
4. Nathan Enderle Idaho QB 6'4" 234 lbs 4.98 I'm so cautious on this guy as his INTs are way up. Good skill set. Leinert will be gone and who knows about Dan O?
5. I really want a DT but don't see one this late. Suggestions? Soem have said WR.
6. Chris Prosinski Wyoming SS/FS 6'1" 209 lbs 4.54 A tackling machine to back up Pollard. THis guy loves to hit but has speed to cover.
7. BPA

* I have not seen enough of Rasi-Dowling to cement him in 1st little lone wind up being a Texan, but I did do a search of him & came up with your mock here on Texanstalk.com congrats!
* Good with Jimmy Smith here for now but going 1-2 secondary is a little heavy despite early season woes. Wonder if you see him along the lines of Sean Smith drafted by Miami in 09 (teammate of Brice McCain) 61st overall?
*Don't have a good feel for Sam Acho but its a good idea to address DE somewhat early just in case Barwin has a setback in rehab.
* QB 4th-5th rd. I like it. Kubes future is looking solid here maybe he can invest heavier in a good young QB to develop (also think Dan & Matt will be gone).
* Maybe a small school DT like Kenrick Ellis, Hampton. He is a man amongst boys but its not like he plays in the SEC either, still he does have NFL DT size @ 6-5 340 lbs.
* if Chris Prosinski still here? like him alot would also take a closer look @ Bose State Jeron Johnson underrated going to be a player.
* how about a kicker? I'm so strung out from this Rackers vs. Brown competition then Turk deceides he maybe done. can't determine which one to address? so why not get a guy who could do both? Matt Bosher, Miami 6-0 205 he looked good against Clemson last week this week Miami faces Florida State (gonna tape it myself) catch it if you can always a good game anyway!

well that's about all I have for now badboy, keep up the good work :tiphat:

Most of the mocks are neglecting our obligatory TE drafted.

If Nolan steps in and does well, I wouldn't be surprised to see us draft Michael Floyd in the first round if he drops.

Most of the mocks are neglecting our obligatory TE drafted.

If Nolan steps in and does well, I wouldn't be surprised to see us draft Michael Floyd in the first round if he drops.

For a while I had Eric Peitz from Colorado State (two birds one stone), but I would be sick to my stomach if that happened.

Nice way-too-friggin-early mocks guys. I was just interested to see where the emphasis would be placed. Seems about right to me but here's my need list:

1. DB
2. DB
3. DT
4. Backup QB
5. Receiver Depth
6. DB
7. TE/LB

I cringe at our prospects when AJ is out, and Dickerson still learning. I just do not see Jones and Anderson as viable options for a sixteen game jaunt to the playoffs.

The one good thing is that the team as a whole has become more talented and deeper, but feel we can still get better - just depends on the staff and personnel department having the stomach to part ways with good people who can help in spots.

Myers has played better, but once again we can get better behind him.

We need a slot/kick returner guy. I don't have a whole lot of faith in DA and Holliday.

Rey listed an excellent prospect Noel Devine who replaced Slaton @ WV

Yeah, I've liked that dude since high school...

I think he would add value to our special teams as well as our offense...

Part of Trindon's problem on offense was that he was so raw...Well Devine is a guy who has played a lot of offense already, so his learning curve should be smaller...

I think he'd be a better slot option than David Anderson too...

My mock after resigning Butler, picking at 20-25 range

Rd1 Daquan Bowers- DE Clemson Pass rush problem,also can play the run.
Rd2 Curtis Brown- DB UT, Haven't seen Smith play,but I know Brown is a good cover corner

Rd.3 Adrian Taylor -DT OU, Value pick, would've been a 1st rd pick if not for injured leg. Think McCoy light.

Rd.4 Micheal Morgan- OLB USC. Big 6'4 OLB who is a little on the light side, has frame to put on weight. can run 4.6, Best days are ahead of him IMHO.

This is all of the studying I have done at this point in the season. But this would help solve some of the defensive problems.

1) DT Marvin Austin North Carolina 6'3 310 - Big, nimble and quick. Would be a good player to have in this defense. Would give us some size up front without losing any quickness. Should immediately challenge Cody for playing time and/or a starting role.

2) CB Curtis Brown Texas 6'0 180 - Athletic and fast with good size. Good hands. He would be a mutant version of Brice McCain. Also may be able to return some kicks for us.

3) RB Noel Devine 5' 8 180 - Fast guy. I see him as a guy that can come in and be a Trindon Holiday type, except more adept on offense. I think he is a guy that can challenge DA for playing time in the slot as well as be a guy that can take some carries in the backfield. Plus he should be able to help return kicks as well and hopefully let Slaton become a true #2 RB.

4) FS Jaiquawn Jarrett Temple 6'0 197, Good physical tackler. Plays well in pass coverage. Instinctive guy that really flies to the ball.

5) OT Chris Hairston Clemson 6'7 325. Hopefully we can get Butler re-signed. Even if we do, this is a guy that can come in and help the offensive line out. Big guy, but he is quick and pretty agile for his size. Has become a leader on his line at Clemson. Should be a solid pro.

6) QB Ricky Stanzi Iowa 6'4 230. Big guy, can make all the throws, shows good athleticism and good play action skills. Stanzi is actually the guy in my Mock that I think has the best shot at becoming a Texan. He is almost the prototypical QB for this offense. Can put zip on his passes when he needs to squeeze them into tight spaces, but shows that he has the touch to drop it in over coverage as well. He is also an accurate passer.

Stanzi probably won't last this long but I would take him in the fourth or fifth if it called for it. I'd really like for Kubiak to get this guy and see if he can progress his skills.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x2UUWgv1NQ

7) OLB/DE Chris Walker Tennessee 6'2 236. This is a guy who I would want to play a hybrid OLB/DE role for us. He shows good ability to rush the passer. Solid performer in the SEC. I think this is a guy that could push for a roster spot but if not I would love to get him onto the PS as a developmental type player. He is another player that may not last this long that I would take 1 or 2 rounds earlier if I had to.

Round 1

While I do think Dowling can make the transition from CB to FS (as I feel it will be his position in the pros), I would pick another FS. North Carolina FS Deunta Williams. At 6’1” 210 lbs, he has prototypical size and speed. As a converted receiver, he has the hands to make the interceptions we as fans want to see so much. Right now, his stock has taken a heavy hit due to his suspension for receiving benefits. However, I foresee him jumping back into first round discussion when he gets on the field.

Round 2

No change here. Colorado CB Jimmy Smith

Round 3

Here I will make my first real break from your mock. While a pass rusher is a need, I don’t think it needs to be this early. I am going to draft Oklahoma DT Adrian Taylor. Once thought of as a first round prospect, he broke his leg in last year’s bowl game, and has struggled so far this year. At 6’4” 300 lbs, he has the right size for a NT in the Texans scheme.

Round 4

I like Enderle. I really do, and I was on the bandwagon in the beginning of the year. But he has looked bad this year. I will wait on a QB until later, and take Stanford FB Owen Marecic. A hardnosed player, Marecic will be the backup FB (I think OD is gone after this year, and Casey moves into more of a TE) and special teams ace. In a couple years, once Leach retires, Marecic will be perfect for the starting role.

Round 5

Here is where I take my pass rusher as Barwin insurance. I like Nevada DE/OLB Dontay Moch. 6’1” 245 lbs, and he runs a 4.38. However, he is very raw, which is why I have him ranked lower than most sites out there.

Round 6

Chris Prosinski is a great backup FS/SS.

Round 7

And like I promised in round 4, I will address the backup QB issue. As some of you may know, I am currently in the heart of Big 10 country. Therefore, I end up watching a lot of Big 10 games- not always the good teams. And one player that caught my eye last year, and has done nothing to disappoint so far this year, is Indiana QB Ben Chappell. A little short at 6’2”, but a well built 240, Chappell is one of the most underrated prospects in the nation. Not a rocket arm, but enough to make all the throws (kind of like Schaub. Maybe a little better). Great accuracy. Improving decision making (threw his first pick of the season last week), and tough as nails. Let him be groomed behind Schaub for a couple years, and we may have a starting QB waiting in the wings.
Man 65 I can not believe how our minds seem to go the same places. Scary! On my vacation day yesterday, I was going over my mock especially round three. As Barwin seemed to have brought quite a bit to the team, I had placed Acho as replacement if needed, but yesterday I was thinking there is no reason now to believe Barwin can't come back. I then began to considered Adrian Taylor. I also had him as first round and he probably will end up a second but could drop to round three. I want to see how he responds the rest of the season but if there in third and healthy, I'd probably go with him for value. Not saying he could beat out Okoye or Earl but would add depth.

I am fine with Walter and a developing Dickerson, with Davis done. IMO our weakness at the position is with Jones and Anderson. Jones has great potential to help and hurt the team, but I think we can do better at a lower cost (rookie versus a new contract with JJ).

Anderson is a lot like JJ, but at another angle. DA knows the playbook, and by all accounts is a great locker room guy, however, he gets lost out there due to his size and, by my eyes, not speedy enough to get into space. I think we can do better on the field, but do not discount the value in a great locker room guy, who can get the coach's ear.

In the end I don't think Jacoby will be back, and with Davis gone we will be looking for a WR in the first three rounds.
You could be correct on JJ but here's my read. All evidence points to him having a turn around last season and looks pretty good so far. If his injury is not worse than expected should have another solid season. Smithiak likes to reward players that do well, see Ryans and AJ. A new CBA should allow a new contract for JJ. I think JJ's "excitement factor" is right up there with AJ's.

1) DT Marvin Austin North Carolina 6'3 310 - Big, nimble and quick. Would be a good player to have in this defense. Would give us some size up front without losing any quickness.

2) CB Curtis Brown Texas 6'0 180 - Athletic and fast with good size. Good hands. He would be a mutant version of Brice McCain.

I like your first two picks but....I have us selecting at #25 and Austin may not be there. Now I want my first round to be a starter game one unless he is a QB. Any other player that needs a year should be taken later rounds. Now this could change by end of this season if Nolan is clearly a starter or if Okoye goes dormant and a DT may be an obvious 1st.

Curtis Brown I have as gone by our 2nd round. Good players for sure.

* I have not seen enough of Rasi-Dowling to cement him in 1st little lone wind up being a Texan, but I did do a search of him & came up with your mock here on Texanstalk.com congrats!
* Good with Jimmy Smith here for now but going 1-2 secondary is a little heavy despite early season woes. Wonder if you see him along the lines of Sean Smith drafted by Miami in 09 (teammate of Brice McCain) 61st overall?
*Don't have a good feel for Sam Acho but its a good idea to address DE somewhat early just in case Barwin has a setback in rehab.
* QB 4th-5th rd. I like it. Kubes future is looking solid here maybe he can invest heavier in a good young QB to develop (also think Dan & Matt will be gone).
* Maybe a small school DT like Kenrick Ellis, Hampton. He is a man amongst boys but its not like he plays in the SEC either, still he does have NFL DT size @ 6-5 340 lbs.
* if Chris Prosinski still here? like him alot would also take a closer look @ Bose State Jeron Johnson underrated going to be a player.
* how about a kicker? I'm so strung out from this Rackers vs. Brown competition then Turk deceides he maybe done. can't determine which one to address? so why not get a guy who could do both? Matt Bosher, Miami 6-0 205 he looked good against Clemson last week this week Miami faces Florida State (gonna tape it myself) catch it if you can always a good game anyway!

well that's about all I have for now badboy, keep up the good work :tiphat:
Thanks for compliment BL. I was able to follow Dowling last year as a CB and was not that impressed. Like Kareem Jackson, I have my issues with Dowling having hip swivle to play CB in NFL but he is listed high as a CB so I could be wrong. I just want to watch him a game or two to rule in or outas FS. Also, interested in the other DBs for Virginia. I am aware of Kenrick Ellis but have not seen him play. I see no reason for Smith to draft another big DT (although I like them) since Okam has flammed out if there was ever much more than a spark.:roast:

Nice way-too-friggin-early mocks guys. I was just interested to see where the emphasis would be placed. Seems about right to me but here's my need list:

1. DB
2. DB
3. DT
4. Backup QB
5. Receiver Depth
6. DB
7. TE/LB
If you are including corner in your DBs, we are on same page.

Yeah, I've liked that dude since high school...

I think he would add value to our special teams as well as our offense...

Part of Trindon's problem on offense was that he was so raw...Well Devine is a guy who has played a lot of offense already, so his learning curve should be smaller...

I think he'd be a better slot option than David Anderson too...
And with a name like Noel Devine, how can you miss?

5) OT Chris Hairston Clemson 6'7 325. Hopefully we can get Butler re-signed. Even if we do, this is a guy that can come in and help the offensive line out. Big guy, but he is quick and pretty agile for his size. Has become a leader on his line at Clemson. Should be a solid pro.

6) QB Ricky Stanzi Iowa 6'4 230. Big guy, can make all the throws, shows good athleticism and good play action skills. Stanzi is actually the guy in my Mock that I think has the best shot at becoming a Texan. He is almost the prototypical QB for this offense. Can put zip on his passes when he needs to squeeze them into tight spaces, but shows that he has the touch to drop it in over coverage as well. He is also an accurate passer.

Stanzi probably won't last this long but I would take him in the fourth or fifth if it called for it. I'd really like for Kubiak to get this guy and see if he can progress his skills.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x2UUWgv1NQ

7) OLB/DE Chris Walker Tennessee 6'2 236. This is a guy who I would want to play a hybrid OLB/DE role for us. He shows good ability to rush the passer. Solid performer in the SEC. I think this is a guy that could push for a roster spot but if not I would love to get him onto the PS as a developmental type player. He is another player that may not last this long that I would take 1 or 2 rounds earlier if I had to.
The left tackle project is already on the PS Cole Pemberton 6'7" 315.

Here's my latest:

1. Brandon Harris-CB, our secondary is a major weakness and quality help is needed. Starter.
2. Jarvis Jenkins-DT, great size and speed he should replace Cody and/or Robinson. Starter.
3. Quinton Carter-FS, good size and college production. Can battle for the starter position with Nolan.
4. K.J. Wright-OLB, backup at SLB and MLB, replaces Bentley, great size and speed.
5. James Carpenter-OT/OG, backup utility O-lineman, should replace Studdard and/or Brisiel.
6. Tejay Johnson-SS, good college production, backup SS that replaces Barber.
7. Butch Lewis-OT, backup OT and insurance if we lose Butler to FA.

Could you guys include more information when posting about guys? Position, school, height, and weight would be really helpful for those of us that aren't as familiar with all of the names.

So far as needs go, I would probably say, DT, DE, CB/S, WR

You could be correct on JJ but here's my read. All evidence points to him having a turn around last season and looks pretty good so far. If his injury is not worse than expected should have another solid season. Smithiak likes to reward players that do well, see Ryans and AJ. A new CBA should allow a new contract for JJ. I think JJ's "excitement factor" is right up there with AJ's.

Yeah, I'm hoping they bring Jacoby back...

Can't they just tender him???

I am not too well versed with contract stuff, but if I'm not mistaken they can bring Jacoby back at a fairly cheap price, no?

Or is that in jeopardy because of the CBA?

Could you guys include more information when posting about guys? Position, school, height, and weight would be really helpful for those of us that aren't as familiar with all of the names.

So far as needs go, I would probably say, DT, DE, CB/S, WR

The site won't allow me to edit my original post so I'll add the info. here.

1. Brandon Harris-CB from Miami 5'11" 195 lbs. Physical corner who's not afraid to play the run and tackles well, good coverage as well. Kubiaks kind of guy.

2. Jarvis Jenkins-DT from Clemson 6'04" 310-315 lbs. Great speed for his size and athletic. Replaces Cody.

3. Quinton Carter-FS from Oklahoma 6'01" 193 lbs. Good college production with good size and speed, can battle with Nolan for the starter spot.

4. K.J. Wright-OLB from Mississippi St. 6'04" 245 lbs. NFL ready size will probably replace Bentley as backup to MLB and SLB. Maybe replace Diles at WLB but doubtful.

5. James Carpenter-OT/OG from Alabama 6'05" 300 lbs. Good size and can play both positions. Utility backup O-lineman. Hopefully replace Studdard.

6. Tejay Johnson-SS from TCU 6'01" 212 lbs. Good size and average speed, good college production. Hopefully replaces Barber as backup SS cause Barber stinks.

7. Butch Lewis-OT from USC 6'05" 288 lbs. He's got the size to easily add some weight and plays in a pro style offense. Insurance policy cause I think we'll lose Butler to FA or hopefully sign and trade him for picks.

What do you think about Stanzi as a project QB for Kubiak?
The only team he has lost to this year was the only team of consequence imo. I saw parts of that game and it was just blunders by Iowa & nothing against Stanzi. He definitely has the size and stats 6'4" 230 shttp://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=188298

Here is an eval by Wes Bunting that I agree with: I’ve heard everything from he reminds me of Tom Brady at Michigan to the guy has no place in the NFL. I haven’t done a full evaluation on him this year, but coming into this season I thought he could be a first year #3 quarterback in the NFL and possibly develop down the line. He could get a chance to play at some point depending on the situation. This isn’t a deep senior quarterback class and he offers enough athletically to play in the NFL. He just needs to continue to show he can take care of the football. He’s the type of guy that you can wait for it to all come together, but you don’t know if it will and then is he good enough to make a roster for you? I’d say he’s probably a late round pick because he does have the frame to continue to get stronger. He has a good arm right now, but he will get stronger in that area given time.
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=rivals-1136439
This is the most complete one I've found: http://www.offtackleempire.com/2010/6/28/1540682/evaluating-the-mechanics-of-big

I have him rated behind Enderle and this is a weak QB class so that helps him. He does remind me of Dan Orslovsky with some of his decisions and that is a negative.

Yeah, I'm hoping they bring Jacoby back...

Can't they just tender him???

I am not too well versed with contract stuff, but if I'm not mistaken they can bring Jacoby back at a fairly cheap price, no?

Or is that in jeopardy because of the CBA?
All that is to be negotiated and I sure hope things are moving along behind the scenes because little is leaking out. I think the cheapest tag he can get would pay him top 10 WR money.

I wanted to contribute. This is not a mock, its just a theoretical organization of potential prospects. I reserve the right to change my mind on this and all future draft thoughts!!!

1.Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue
A high motor DE. I think our DBs have promise(I still like Jackson and Quin and Nolan) but Revis and NA couldn't cover with our anemic pass rush. Essentially our pass rush starts and stops with Mario. Getting Kerrigan would allow us to rotate Smith and keep him fresh. If Barwin comes back, great. You can NEVER have too many pass rushers.

2. Drake Nevis DT-LSU
I am going to watch him some more, but I have really liked his motor. He is strong against the run and gets into the backfield. Way end up a first rounder later on, but for right now he is here. He would be a great fit at DT and could become part of the rotation very quickly.

3. Stephen Schilling-OG Michigan
A team captain who is big enough to hold his own against the bigger DTs of the league and still athletic enough to pull in ZBS packages. He would be a great interior buddy for Caldwell. Of course, since he is a 3rd rounder, Kubiak won't start him, but maybe he can get some reps by mid year.

4.Kristofer O'Dowd - OC USC
I dont know where he is going. He could go mid second to mid 5th. He is a tough one to project right now. That said he is a solid OC and could hold his own. I think he would be an upgrade over Myers.

5. Terrence Toliver- WR LSU
A big tall 6'4" target to find in the red zone and when we need a few extra yards. May not be a #2 but he could probably be a solid #3.

6.Devon Torrence CB Nebraska
You can never have too many CBs. Plus it makes Yankee happy!

7. Eric Peltz- TE Colorado State
No draft is complete without a TE and a CSU player. So, lets just knock em out with one pick!

I wanted to contribute. This is not a mock, its just a theoretical organization of potential prospects. I reserve the right to change my mind on this and all future draft thoughts!!!

1.Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue
A high motor DE. I think our DBs have promise(I still like Jackson and Quin and Nolan) but Revis and NA couldn't cover with our anemic pass rush. Essentially our pass rush starts and stops with Mario. Getting Kerrigan would allow us to rotate Smith and keep him fresh. If Barwin comes back, great. You can NEVER have too many pass rushers.

2. Drake Nevis DT-LSU
I am going to watch him some more, but I have really liked his motor. He is strong against the run and gets into the backfield. Way end up a first rounder later on, but for right now he is here. He would be a great fit at DT and could become part of the rotation very quickly.

3. Stephen Schilling-OG Michigan
A team captain who is big enough to hold his own against the bigger DTs of the league and still athletic enough to pull in ZBS packages. He would be a great interior buddy for Caldwell. Of course, since he is a 3rd rounder, Kubiak won't start him, but maybe he can get some reps by mid year.

4.Kristofer O'Dowd - OC USC
I dont know where he is going. He could go mid second to mid 5th. He is a tough one to project right now. That said he is a solid OC and could hold his own. I think he would be an upgrade over Myers.

5. Terrence Toliver- WR LSU
A big tall 6'4" target to find in the red zone and when we need a few extra yards. May not be a #2 but he could probably be a solid #3.

6.Devon Torrence CB Nebraska
You can never have too many CBs. Plus it makes Yankee happy!

7. Eric Peltz- TE Colorado State
No draft is complete without a TE and a CSU player. So, lets just knock em out with one pick!

outstanding work awytsst as usual, like how you slipped in another CSU TE. can't go wrong with building in the trenches. you don't like any safties or do you think the Texans already have one on the roster, maybe a cb who could convert?

outstanding work awytsst as usual, like how you slipped in another CSU TE. can't go wrong with building in the trenches. you don't like any safties or do you think the Texans already have one on the roster, maybe a cb who could convert?

Thanks BL!

I am really not thrilled with what I am seeing in the draft this year safety wise. I really like Nolan and see him as our FS of the future/present. I think Molden could be a very solid Saftey option, IF he can stay healthy. The person I am relaly intrigued with is someone on our practice squad:Torri Williams. He is not the big hitter that Pollard is but he plays the run very well and can cover. He doesn't have the attitude or big hit quality of Pollard, but I think he would be a very good player at SS. He needs to get in the gym and put on about 10 lbs, but I think very highly of him.

BL: Here are a few interesting potential UDFAs I am looking into:
1)Marcus Martin- S Northwest Missouri State(good size)
2)Eugene Germany-DE Central Washington (speed and power)
3)Ramon Broadway-CB Arkansas (short, stocky, and fast returner?)
4)Charlie Bryant-DT-Memphis(a 6'7" DT is intriguing)
5.Michael Jasper-OG Bethel(if this guy legit runs a 4.7 at 425lbs, I can't imagine what he runs at 100 lbs lighter!) He may be more of a DT though.
6. Thomas Hodges RB-Missouri Western State( I want to see him run and his 40 times but size wise he is interesting 5'10 220.

Here's my mock draft, not perfect but decent IMO. BTW, Michael Jasper from Bethel College is listed as 6'5" 400-lbs. If he can drop some serious weight and become quicker, he would make an excellent DT prospect as an UDFA.

1.) Deunta Williams - S *UNC has faced some big issues but he fills a need and has been productive as a player.

2.) Brandon Hogan - CB *Has had off the field issues but I believe he has made improvements and should not be a cancer for our locker room.

3.) Jarvis Jenkins - DT *Big defensive tackle who can clog up the running lanes and still get to the QB.

4.) Ross Homan - ILB *Undersized linebacker who had 5 INTs last season and 100+ tackles.

5.) Danny Watkins - OG *Big yet quick Guard who can pull and block upfield and open lanes.

6.) DeMarcus Van Dyke - CB *Tall Cornerback, more of a project but has starting potential.

7.) Titus Young - WR *A bit light but has the speed and production (career totals of 1,848 yards receiving and 16 TDs)

UDFAs To Consider: Jalil Brown (CB), Christian Ballard (DT), and Vai Taua (RB)

Here's my mock draft, not perfect but decent IMO. BTW, Michael Jasper from Bethel College is listed as 6'5" 400-lbs. If he can drop some serious weight and become quicker, he would make an excellent DT prospect as an UDFA.

1.) Deunta Williams - S *UNC has faced some big issues but he fills a need and has been productive as a player.

2.) Brandon Hogan - CB *Has had off the field issues but I believe he has made improvements and should not be a cancer for our locker room.

3.) Jarvis Jenkins - DT *Big defensive tackle who can clog up the running lanes and still get to the QB.

4.) Ross Homan - ILB *Undersized linebacker who had 5 INTs last season and 100+ tackles.

5.) Danny Watkins - OG *Big yet quick Guard who can pull and block upfield and open lanes.

6.) DeMarcus Van Dyke - CB *Tall Cornerback, more of a project but has starting potential.

7.) Titus Young - WR *A bit light but has the speed and production (career totals of 1,848 yards receiving and 16 TDs)

UDFAs To Consider: Jalil Brown (CB), Christian Ballard (DT), and Vai Taua (RB)
After watching Dowling last Saturday, I've decided to move him off my board. Deunta Williams will be the guy as Rahim has not picked it up so far this season. I think safety is weak this draft but corner should again be deep if not as good as last one.

I would like to throw Alex Wujciak's name into consideration as a future Texans purely based on the fact that he looks like Brian Cushing's clone :tiphat:

5188404.jpeg

I think we need to draft secondary the entire draft. Rounds 1-7. We're bound to get someone who can cover a receiver this way.

I think we need to draft secondary the entire draft. Rounds 1-7. We're bound to get someone who can cover a receiver this way.
Yeah, I will probably draft defense heavily. I am leaning towards moving Endarle from 4th to 3rd as he is a good QB and I want something to fall back on if Schaub goes out. I gotta have a FS and CB in rounds one and two. Free safety just does not look deep and why I am pushing that for our late (hopefully) first round selection.

Back