backup OLBS

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by cj5776, Aug 11, 2011.

1. cj5776

cj5776 Veteran

Does anyone else find it odd we have only Nading and Reed, along with a pair of undrafted rookies behind the starters at outside linebacker. Hopefully that is a spot we will address soon when the cuts of other teams start. Is this a concern to anyone else?

2. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

We'll probably grab something off waivers. However, I've seen decent reports, video and pictures on this Braman kid. We are very thin at the LB spot

3. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

Cheta was not undrafted. He came as close as you can get but still.

I'm not terribly worried about it. I like our first backup at both OLB in Reed and ILB in Sharpton. Difficult for any team to be really talented into 3rd string imo. Dobbins sounds like he could be serviceable inside as well. Honestly I believe they will focus on getting the best special teams guys out of the remaining spots.

4. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

I would have preferred guys with a little more coverage experience on the outside. BUT... this is our defense. Our OLBs are not coverage guys, they're get upfield and create havoc guys.

So Reed and Nading fit the mold and the philosophy of the defense.

Does it worry me? Yes.

But I'm not too worried. I want to see this defense operating. I want to see how this philosophy of a 5-2 with a smallish NT beneath a 2 deep shell with interchangeable safeties works when it runs up against a real NFL offense.

But that's just me.

5. cj5776

cj5776 Veteran

Cheta is an ILB, not OLB according to depth charts and what I read.

When Capers was here running the D, he would always say OLB is the most important part of the 3-4. Thats why missing on Babin hurt so much. It was the quaterback of the deffense. But that could be the difference in Wade's D.

6. Jackie Chiles

Wasn't aware of Cheta was listed there, interesting. Either way, probably asking a bit much to have a real stable of OLBs with this being our first season in the 3-4. Hopefully one or two develop and we continue to build up the position in the future.

7. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

I believe Matt Roth is still out there, but he wants to be a starter.

Ricky Sapp got cut from the Eagles. He's a DE but many though he was going to convert coming out of college. This is only his second year, so there is room to grow.

8. Jackie Chiles

Roth signed with the Jaguars recently.