Back up QB

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by BigTimeTexanFan, Sep 4, 2009.

1. BigTimeTexanFan

BigTimeTexanFan All Pro

Gary, I forgive you for giving Orlovsky a multi year, multi million dollar contract. I don't even mind keeping him around to see if you can develop him because I do see some talent, but PLEASE make Grossman the back up QB.

I know Grossman is playing in the 4th preseason game, but don't you just have a better feeling with him manning the offense?

2. pbat488

pbat488 gig 'em

We're too fickle on this board..

3. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

No you make him the 3rd string QB so as to not hurt DanO's confidence and if for some reason Schuab takes another cheap-shot and you need a starting QB you start Grossman if DanO does not improve.

4. BigTimeTexanFan

BigTimeTexanFan All Pro

You didn't see an improvement at the QB position when Grossman entered the game? A guy who has only played one series this pre season until tonight.

5. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

I like the QB depth more than previous years, whether Rex or Dan is the backup we've got some guys who can make plays, we've got options.

6. texanmojo

texanmojo Shotgun 30 Time

Based on the way he played tonight...i would have Grossman 2nd.

7. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

I don't know!
    When the receiver can get wide open so easily, the QB can look good!

8. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

At this point, Grossman is better than Dan O. It's really not even close based on tonight. I realize the sample size is small, but Grossman was excellent tonight, as good as anything Schaub could have put up. Notice that all preseason with Dan in the game, the offense would bog down, or he would make a critical turnover. Rarely has the team scored with Dan in the game. With Rex in, the team scored and the offense ran much smoother. He has a better feel, better touch, more experience, has played in big games, et al. I feel like Rex can win games for this team if Matt goes down...I don't have that same confidence if Dan has to play a lot. Maybe down the road Dan has more upside, but we are talking right now.

If Rex is not the primary backup, it won't be based on performance and it will be political/financial.

BigTimeTexanFan likes this.

9. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

I don't care. We can start Rex in all the games.
    If he looks good, stay with him.
    On first sign of trouble, bring Schaub in! :chili:

10. brakos82

brakos82 Hall of Fame

GO groosman!

11. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

Yeah but after seeing Dan-O overthrow receivers deep specifically Andre in the 3rd quarter of the Monday night game, Grossman has proven he has better deep ball accuracy. Watch the play, Jacoby doesn't get behind the last line of defense until the ball is already halfway there. Grossman released it and trusted his receiver to be there and it was perfectly placed. It'll be a close one as Dan has had way more reps than Rex but I think Rex showed something that Dan-O hasn't yet.

12. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

I think Kubes went into this game not to decide who the backup QB will be. The decision he wants to make is whether to carry 2 or 3 quarterbacks going into the season.

You would think Grossman's oerformance tonight would make that decision easy, but you never know. They can only carry 53, and if Grossman gets cut, it wouldn't surprise me.

13. Specnatz

DanO has the biggest arm in camp that is bound to happen from time to time. Hell I guess Brady should be benched because I have seen him overtrow Moss this preseason, he must suck.

There was a pass at 5:15 in the 4th where Grossman threw the ball at the feet of a defender are you going to mention that pass?

14. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

That would be a TERRIBLE travesty of justice and it will come back to haunt this team when Matt is out 5 games with a hangnail.

15. Specnatz

The way josh johnson has played compared to Freeman it is Freeman should be cut and not him right?

16. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

I think Grossman's arm is comparable to Orlovsky's... and I said his deep ball accuracy has proven to be better than Orlovsky, intermediate and short routes not so much.

17. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

Or send Grossman out there toward the end of the half or whenever we need to go long!

18. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Exactly. Dan's the project that you plan to keep. Rex is the project that you want for the short term to backup Dan. What he gets out of this is a year of working with Kubiak and Shanahan and maybe a chance to put some distance between himself and his play in Chicago.

If we can get something for him in trade then fine and if we only keep him a year as insurance in case the Orlovsky Project doesn't work out then that's fine too. That's what he's here for.

If Schaub goes down we're likely as not screwed anyway so you see if Orlovsky is ready to go and you tell Grossman to be ready to step in if need be. It's that simple really.

19. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

Well has Johnson played in a Super Bowl? Was he a multi year starter in the NFL? If so, then yes. Look, if you can't see that Grossman is better than Dan then you have blinders on.

20. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

I disagree. I don't give a rats ass about the future or next year or Dan's pyche or projects. We don't need projects, we need to win. One game could spell the difference between the playoffs and going home another year. I want an experienced backup that has played in big games not a guy who couldn't lead his team to one win and couldn't put his team in the end zone in the preseason. Now is not the time to experiment, we need to put the best players out there now. Screw next year, the future is now and Grossman is simply better than Dan O and it's frankly not close.