Babin comes to terms

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by kbourda, Jun 25, 2004.

1. kbourda

kbourda Hall of Fame

As reported on Fox 26 tonight from Mark Berman, the Texans will have a press conference tomorrow announcing the signing of Jason Babin. He made a comment about him signing a 6 year deal with an option on the sixth based on performance.

Good job with taking care of business.

2. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

Awesome news. I read yesterday we are the only team in the AFC South to sign any of our draft picks so far. This makes four. Awesome job.

:banana: :monkey: :coolb:

3. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Another mark to chalk up to being a positive draft day move- signability. I wonder if he is still going to be signing autographs tomorrow @ George Brown?
    I cannot wait to purchase a Babin jersey and wear it with Texan pride, fellow fans I think he's going to really be special, this is awesome news :mag:

4. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

5. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

This kid seems to have his priorities in line. Congrats to the Texans and Babin for hashing out a deal so quickly. He only has to worry about the playbook now instead of having his contract on his mind.

6. Ibar_Harry

Ibar_Harry Hall of Fame

Early on Babin had indicated he understood the chance he was being given by the Texans and how much respect they had shown for him. I think he returned the favor realizing that minor differences just didn't mean much in this case. Hopefully, things will go equally well with DR. The indications are that DR has chosen some very reasonable agents. In fact, according to ESPN, they thought DR would be the 1st to reach agreement. Makes training camp a whole lot easier to deal with when you have all your recruits in the fold. Also, indicates the kind of togetherness you have. Happy recruits makes for a happy camp and progress todwards the ultimate goal of winning. I don't believe we have many unhappy campers among the returnees either. Looks like its all coming together very nicely.

7. Mistril48

Mistril48 All Pro

Jason Babin signed!

In order to obtain Babin, the Texans had to move their second pick up over a dozen spots to get back into the first round.

The Titans, in salary cap hell, were forced to allow the Texans to acquire what many believe is 'the final piece to a team posed to make a playoff run' (made up quote) in the desperate hope that drafting several players would yield some starters to replace the starters lost to free agency and retirement. The best part is it only cost the Texans their third round pick, one of their 4th round picks and an exchange of 5th round picks in the 2004 draft. The Texans were able to get back in the 1st round in the 2004 draft without losing any of their future year's picks! (In contrast, it must have been terrifying for the Ravens fans to lose a future first round pick to get back in the first round in 2003 to take Boller and terrifying for the Bills fans to give up a future first round pick to get back in the first round in 2004 to take Losman. The Texans, on the other hand, still enjoy 4 first day picks in 2005, including their first round pick. Amazing.

(Please don't say "The Texans gave the Titans a 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th for Babins and a 5th." My way sounds better)

I've got to go now, the Democratic Election Committee is on the phone ... (I'm also available for Toasts to the Bride if your daughter is getting married)

8. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

OK, I won't say that the Texans gave Tenenssee a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th in exchange for a 1st and 5th, or that the Texans later traded Jax the 5th they got from Tennessee for 6th and 7th round picks.

I will say that in the end, this is how it all worked out:

Texans Get
    1st round, No. 27: Jason Babin, LB
    6th round, No. 175: Jammal Lord, FS
    7th round, No. 210: Raheem Orr, LB

Titans Get:
    2nd round, No. 40: Ben Troupe, TE
    3rd round, No. 71: Randy Starks, DT
    4th round, No. 103: Bo Schobel, DE
    5th round, No. 138 Jacob Bell, G

9. DominatorDavis

DominatorDavis Veteran

Most 1st rounders in Babins spot get about $3.3. mil upfront and then $1.3 mil per year. If this is a 6 year deal with a 5th year option then it should break down to counting against the cap around $1.96 mil per year for the first 5 years. Right?

Someone please help.... idonno:

10. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

Annual base salaries are backloaded over the term of the contract so the cap hit starts off relatively low and then gradually rises into the out years of the contract. Every contract is different. In some cases where they give option years (year 2 and/or year 5 in his case if it's a 6 year deal) that would be when you would see his cap number jump because of a jump in base and/or another bonus payment of some sort if he meets certain incentives. The signing bonus is prorated equally over the entire term.

11. DominatorDavis

DominatorDavis Veteran

Here is the article from ESPN:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1829841

12. DominatorDavis

DominatorDavis Veteran

I am so pumped. I just know that these guys are too.

13. Fiddy

Fiddy Hall of Fame

Those werent bad deals if you read into them more.

Lets analyze the Ravens giving up a future first round pick 2 years ago: Lets say they dont get Boller, so now they have the 21st pick in the draft with no franchise QB and would reach to pick Losman. I dont think the Ravens giving up that pick was a bad deal at all because they have a franchise QB that has learned for a year and is about to take over a super bowl contender

Next, the Bills giving up the 1st round pick next year for Losman: They did their homework for next years draft and (I read this somewhere) didnt have a first round grade on any QB coming out next year. Now, the Bills believe that they are playoff contenders and if they are they would have a late 1st round pick and wouldnt get a franchise QB. Now they have Losman to backup Bledsoe and learn the system for a year and then will get the riens of the offense next year on a team that is playoff ready.

Not bad deals in my eyes. :twocents:

14. Mistril48

Mistril48 All Pro

Fiddy, I can't disagree with what you say about the Bills and the Ravens trades (at least not yet). I was merely pointing out that it is more terrifying to trade a first round pick in a future year (as Oakland showed, you never really know how high it will be) than to trade later round picks in the present draft. What if the Giants pick is a top five. Yikes!

I think the Texans, Bills and Ravens would all be considered good front offices. I'm in favor of using every arrow in the quiver, including trades. In several years we can look back at all these moves, including the Texans and see how they turned out.

I view the Texans trade as a 'short pants' move. You have to wear long pants to trade a future first round pick.

That's enough cliches for now ...

15. Fiddy

Fiddy Hall of Fame

I get what you are saying now and I do agree that it is dangerous to deal future 1st round picks.

But I am hoping that the Giants pick is the #1 pick overall in the draft so the Chargers get it and can thank Eli Manning for it. :D

16. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I've seen all kind of "value" charts for exchanging draft picks, but they seem
    pretty arbitrary to me. So what the aggregate point total is for 2, 3, 4 (10 th spot), compared to the 27th pick overall is, well choose your chart (exchanging 5 th round spots seems almost immaterial in this calculation).
    The premium (if one thinks we paid one), is the 4th round pick. And D.Davis
    types , if not rare, are very unusual. What's the success rate of 4th rounders
    making it in the NFL - 20% ? So if we paid a premium, it really wasn't that
    much of a premium. And perhaps the premium was for the 27th, not using
    the 27 on Babin. I think there is a difference. But the basic problem I have
    with the pick is I think we're still in the stage of development where we need quantity atleast as much as quality. But if Babin goes to the Pro Bowl in the next 2 or 3 years, his pick will be more than justified.

17. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

On the value chart thing, the premiums for moving up this year were higher than other drafts in recent history. The price of moving varies from year to year.

18. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

The Texans had a press conference right after the draft and claimed otherwise. Casserly said that we didn't need any more bodies and wanted a couple of starters at the top of this draft. We need a starting edge rusher. In two years we have gathered a ton of projects but no real real elite talent for this position. From what I gather looking at news and such, Laboy projects to be a situational player just like our other players at OLB. We only gave up one first day pick and it looks like we will get a starter out of it at a position of need. A high need for that matter. We were the last in the league in sacks and sacks come from OLB's in our system. I am not in disagreement with you as much as I am just passing along what I think I know.

just to refresh...

www.houstontexans.com

19. Mistril48

Mistril48 All Pro

While I agree with much of your post, I don't believe we needed quantity over quality at this year's draft.

As an expansion team, we generally added more young players to our roster than other teams the past two years. Some of these players required a year, or two, of development (physical training and technique), before we really knew if we had something. Unfortunately, current NFL rosters are much smaller than college rosters (or historical NFL rosters, I believe). To add more draft picks, we would have had to release players already on our roster (unless we were in salary cap hell like the Titans).

In the case of the Texans, we have players like Weary, Wells, Baxter, Ramon Walker, Faggins, Brown, Joppru, Peek, Ragone, Hollings, Earl, Lord, Thomas, etc. who haven't generally been starters and who are at various stages of development. Some may be released after this summer's camp, but I don't believe that the Texans felt they could draft players in the 3rd, 4th and 5th, round who would push the above players for roster spots this year, given that the above have the advantage of a year or two of development. Would a rookie guard, like Jacob Bell, be better as a rookie than Weary and Brown? Perhaps, but I don't believe the Texans think so.

It's difficult to build a 53 man roster and meet all your needs. You need some experience on the roster to help players develop. You can't have all developmental players.

20. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

There are still Texans fans which are questioning the numbers $$$ that were thrown at Babin. But evidently, according to ProFootballTalk, very likely there will be a domino effect on other teams which will be looked upon as a very “destructive” precedent to the “system”.........................Widespread distain towards the Texans organization could be the result, especially if Babin does not pan out and prove his worth. Hopefully, Babin fills his billing and the Texans get their hard sought “diamond.” But let us not forget that no team exists in a vacuum and our actions will inevitably be put under the strain of the microscope.:

July 1, 2004
    BABIN DEAL TOO RICH?

A league source tells us that complaints are swirling among NFL teams regarding the contract signed by Texans first-rounder Jason Babin.
    Per the source, Babin received a bump over "way over the normal incremental increase" as compared to his 2003 counterpart at the 27th overall pick, Chiefs running back Larry Johnson.

As a result, the agents of the players taken at number 26 and number 28 now have ammunition for jacking up the demands for their respective clients, and the increase could have a ripple effect throughout the round.
    If Babin were the Texans' only first-round pick, the move could be characterized as a calculated effort by G.M. Charley Casserly to start a chain reaction that might squeeze the teams with picks high in the round into overpaying. But Casserly still has another pick to sign in round -- cornerback Dunta Robinson, who was taken with the 10th overall selection.

Indeed, part of the concern is that Casserly will overpay Robinson as well, guaranteeing that the high end of round one will be thrown out of whack this year.

Complicating matters is that the deal this year have a maximum six year term, not seven. As a result, there are less seasons over which the signing bonus can be prorated. With only a slight increase in the rookie salary pool, a spike in the across-the-board value of first-round contract will make it harder to get all of the guys signed with the dollars available.

Babin's official numbers have not yet been reported. We're trying to get them -- but we can't find any agents who'll give us their password for the NFLPA computer system.

www.profootballtalk.com