Awesome...Running Back with our 3rd...

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by TexanWolverine, Apr 23, 2005.

1. TexanWolverine

TexanWolverine Rookie

Someone please tell me what is going on.... :shocked

2. TigerBait

TigerBait Veteran

just insurance for DD, incase he gets injured. Could be a good second option and give DD some rest...other than that idk.

3. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

I am going to have to do some research on this ... this is a headscratcher to say the least..

:confused:

4. blockhead83

blockhead83 All Pro

They liked Morency the best at their pick so they chose him. Remember they draft based on who they think is the BPA (aside from extreme situations like drafting another QB in the 1st).

5. LoNghoRn-TeXaN

LoNghoRn-TeXaN Veteran

WE have taken to many RB with our picks. Hollings, Wells, DD, now Morency. I'm disappointed that we didnt pick Wilkerson or Brown or Hawthorne or BLACKSTOCK. He would have been a gr8 value pick!

6. kbourda

kbourda Hall of Fame

The Johnson pick wasn't terrible. I agree with you Wolverine. Maybe CC has something up his sleeve.

7. TexanWolverine

TexanWolverine Rookie

There has to be a limit to the BPA position. I guess our coaches feel a lot more secure about the offensive line than most people on this board. I just felt like Tuck was the obvious choice there...As apparently Seattle felt as well.

8. blockhead83

blockhead83 All Pro

I wouldn't say that they feel comfortable with the status of the offensive line, but I think there were no OL prospects who grabbed their interest as an upgrade at this point.

9. vtech9

vtech9 Hall of Fame

maybe this is a hint that Tony Hollings might not be on the team come the start of the season.

10. F-minus67

F-minus67 Hall of Fame

Wow, was I wrong. I thought that the team was going to get a big back instead of DD ver.2

11. TexanExile

TexanExile A New Hope

Wells can fill that role, if need be. He was far better than Stacey Mack was in that role, comparing year-to-year. More versatile and could be trusted to play well in situations requiring more than 2 feet of forward progress.

12. TexanWolverine

TexanWolverine Rookie

Capers just confirmed that Morency IS DD II

13. blockhead83

blockhead83 All Pro

They had some nice things to say about Morency. He looks like the shifty type of runner who can make some things happen while DD catches a breather.

14. With this pick you can officially call the 2nd round pick of Hollings is a BUST.

15. Htown34s

Htown34s Veteran

Nothing shocking here. The consensus was they were going OL, WR, or RB in the 3rd. Remember that this OL class kinda sucks, and next years is supposed to be awesome.

FWIW this is what nfldraftblitz had on Morency at an early stage:

Morency is a very quick back who put up huge numbers for Oklahoma St. this past season. He has great vision and is a threat to score every time he touches the ball. He has good size and has the skills to be a good receiver. After spending four years in the Colorado Rockies organization, Morency switched back to football and put up impressive numbers in his short stay with the Cowboys. He showed flashes of his ability in 2003 playing behind Tatum Bell, but did not get his chance to start full time until this past season. He is a solid first round pick and could end up being the first back taken in April. Reminds You Of: Curtis Martin, New York Jets

Doesn't sound all that bad now, does it? Remember how much more balanced the offense was with DD? The talent level drops off dramatically after DD.

16. TexanWolverine

TexanWolverine Rookie

I guess I just dont like seeing the coaching staff basically say that we wasted a second round pick last year on Hollings.

17. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I don't think so at all. Hollings will make this team this year and contribute.

18. blockhead83

blockhead83 All Pro

In a perfect world there are no busts....however, in reality not every player can eventually be a starter in this league, it's a guessing game. Besides, I think they took a bigger gamble than normal by taking Hollings and that in itself is not a bad thing. Sometimes you have to make gambles to hit the jackpot.

19. scourge

scourge Digression King

I hope so, otherwise its gonna be...

Hollings: "Gatorade, anyone?"

20. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

Maybe the bust pick was Wells. Then again, DD is the only really productive back our YOUNG franchise has drafted. I can see the coaches making this pick.