Autism Speaks

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by SOLIS, Jul 18, 2008.

1. SOLIS

SOLIS United We Stand

Here's a great story about how autism has effected the lives Texans OL Scott Jackson and STC Joe Marciano. It's a good read and if nothing else, its an article aimed at bringing awareness to the significant challenges autism poses to individuals with the disorder and their families.

Texans Tackling Autism

2. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

3. Xetuoh1836

Xetuoh1836 Rookie

4. SOLIS

SOLIS United We Stand

5. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

This is an edited down version of the same article that Megan Manfull did for the Chronicle around Father's Day in June.

Special dads for special kids

Does Scout typically edit down Chronicle articles without attribution? That's really weird.

6. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

Honestly, I had to do a double take because I recognized the article from a month ago. Maybe Scout should be looked at more of a clearinghouse (rotoworld type site) with some opinions thrown in for good measure.

Still, if you're stealing Meagan Manfull's articles you should be ashamed of yourself and go sit in the corner.

7. Texans_Chick

This is word-for-word. Not just a link dump. It doesn't say that it previously was published in some form some place else. Or that it was published with permission.

There are all sorts of parasite sites out there that take my content word for word, put it on their site, don't give me any credit except if you click on the header, it takes you back to the original website.

Scout typically doesn't do that sort of thing, so I am thinking that there is some sort of mistake.

8. Drew_Smoke

Drew_Smoke @Drew_Smoke

It's called blogging if you change the words around some.

9. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

It has to be, because scout makes money off of adverts on their site. Not that I want to be the plagarism police but I'm willing to bet the Chronicle just hasn't noticed this yet and will probably pitch a fit if they do (Or Manful will).

I misspoke when I called it a clearinghouse for rotoworld, that was my mistake.

I know you're probably being facetious, but good bloggers are what gets me my Texans information. Texans_Chick, the guys at BattleRedBlog, Diehard CHris, and DGDB&D are very creative and usually have a lot of good insights on things that I wouldn't be able to see.

But yes, some bloggers are definitley nothing more than CTRL+C and CTLR+V with a few minor things edited to make it look like their own.

10. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

It is Austin, we keep things weird here even the news we steal.

11. SOLIS

SOLIS United We Stand

Here's the explanation for the story being in two places at once:

In my dealing with Scout.com, this is what I know. When you see a story that has Scout.com as the byline, chances are they using a licensed story from TSX.

See, sportswriters from around the country sell their stories to The Sports Xchange (TSX). As per the terms of the deal, these authors are compensated, but not credited - so when a site like Scout.com purchases a license to use stories from TSX, the authors information isn't passed along. And as per the terms of the deal, between Scout and TSX, Scout has permission to put its name on the stories it uses.

The compensated writers are supposed to send DIFFERENT stories or versions to TSX, but sometimes they get lazy. Some newspapers frown on this, because their writers are essentially reselling work the newpaper has already paid for.

In order for Manfull's story to have ended up on Scout.com, she (or someone who owned the rights to her story) had to have sold it to TSX. In a case like the Autism story, my guess is that she got paid twice for the exact same article. How cool the Chronicle is with that practice is beyond me...

Hope that clears it up.

Vinny likes this.
  12. Texans_Chick

SOLIS,

Thanks for sharing with us that explanation. Something to think about when reading unattributed articles--that they are from moonlighting sportswriters.

13. moonmoon

moonmoon Rookie

good explanation.