(Audio) Emmett: ‘Astrodome Will Be Torn Down Or Renovated By Super Bowl’

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by michaelm, May 22, 2013.

1. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

I'm at work, so haven't listened to the audio yet, but wanted to post it anyway.

2. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

I clicked on this thread really hoping for audio from Emmitt rather than Emmett.

3. Norg

Norg -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

tear it down and just plant a giant forest in its place

yes a giant greenery in the middle of a parking lot :kitten:

4. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

He's basically just saying that its eventual fate will be demolition. No way are they going to spend the tens of millions required to get the place up to code, much less whatever amount it would take to fancy it up for a Super Bowl.

I like Norg's idea of a park, but with the added feature of a giant Earl statue in the middle of it.

5. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Emmitt Smith says,"The Dome will be debacled."

eriadoc likes this.
  6. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

link

Why do I have the feeling that after whatever all is said and done with the Astrodome before the SuperBowl, we Harris County residents and Texans fans will have to fight for our pockets not to be picked?.........again......under the guise of the SuperBowl..........

7. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

LOL, exactly!

8. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

Tear it down and replace it with green space. Maybe include a small museum or something that includes a history of the dome and it's greatest moments.

9. pissknocker

pissknocker Veteran

HA green space dont equal no dollars. There aint one thing happening on Kirby that aint about the real green. Sorry but I say more parking spaces:kingkong:

10. chicagotexan2

chicagotexan2 IDBLDogDareU

Emmit smith says 'turn the dome upside down and mâke it a giant swimmin poo and turn it into ****terbun like tha one in new brownsvilles'

11. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

No, definitely a higher money generator needed.........maybe a family-oriented strip joint...........a (modified) Chuck E Cheezy............kid game areas in the perimeter areas and "adult activities" in the inner backrooms. :kitten:

12. paycheck71

paycheck71 Hall of Fame

He also says, "There is a lot of poo-poo in the Astrodome..."

13. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I want the Dome to stay, not only for it's historical relevance. But also because I dont want BoB to get his way. He has done eveything in his power to make sure the Dome is not a viable entity and he wants it to be torn down.

It's worth $200 a day to make BoB the carpetbagger not be able to force his will upon the taxpayers in Houston.

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  14. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

If bob was smart he'd find some way to turn it into something profitable that involved the texans...

15. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I say it all the time and the fact that I don't have several hundred million dollars laying around doesn't make it less true. You are talking about a building that covers over 9 acres of land with 2.5 million cubic feet of refrigerated air in a city where summers are filled with 100+ degree days.

If the people of Harris County can't collectively find something to do with that then they're too stupid and too unimaginative to deserve to keep it. I could walk into Ed Emmett's office today with a plan that would not only make money but would turn Reliant Park into a place that would draw events like the Super Bowl to it regularly and not just every 13 years or so IF someone else drops the ball.

The fact that I can't pay for it just gets in the way.

Parking garage underneath, massive climate controlled green space above wrapped in a hotel along the 610 side of the building that is fed traffic by a set of elevated entrance/exit roads running across the parking lot (providing shade for tailgaters in the process) and filled with events all summer long when the Texans and Rodeo use the place least.

The way to use the dome is obvious. The way to pay for it is the problem.

16. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

BINGO. It's always about the money.

17. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Actually, the way to pay for it isn't even the problem. It's who they want to pay for it. Bob McNair and his buddies could come up with the scratch to make that happen, but they won't because they know that in the end they can bilk the tax payers for it. All they have to do is hold out long enough, let the Dome because enough of an eyesore, let enough articles out that talk about how it's filled with rats, and let people forget that we're still paying off the bonds from Bud's renovation. The tax payers will eventually cave and they know it.

18. Norg

Norg -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

ok if not green space just indulge in adult things I guess that's what people want rite

tear the dome down and put a new building there

Bar
    Texans Showcase hall
    Bar again
    Tv's LOL

19. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Should be cheaper to put a new building inside the shell of what is already there.

20. Yankee_In_TX

Yankee_In_TX Dance Lindsay!

Sounds like all the proposals and ideas have been unfunded.

Unless a private proposal that includes private funding is made by June 10, then the county commissioners will likely put to the public a 'shell' / meeting space idea, and IIRC it had a $100,000,000.00 price tag.

If that is voted down by the public they will move forward with demolition.

It was interesting, he said by law they cannot present A, B, C and D for a vote, they have to make a decision and that is what the public votes on.