Auburn hires Gene Chizik

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by TexanSam, Dec 13, 2008.

1. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3767115

The guy is 5-19 in two seasons! 5-19! And he's hired at Auburn

Going from Tuberville to Chizik isn't exactly an improvement...

2. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Chizik is going to need A LOT of luck if he is going to recruit against Saban.

The guy switches job more than Bobby Petrino.

3. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

Let's not forget that Chizik coached the Auburn D when they were undefeated, and was the D Coor/Asst HC when UT won it's national championship. Chizik is well liked at Auburn, and can probably recruit (atleast to the D).

Winning at Ames may be the hardest thing for a coach to do in the Big XII.

4. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

The choice is not a popular one and most people at Auburn are beside themself...there is much more in the article, including video

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footba...burn-s-finest-torches-and-pi?urn=ncaaf,128957

5. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

Chizik is liked by the right people:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/colum...h_mark&id=3769005&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab4pos2

As for anything coming out of Ames, I'd take it with a grain of salt. Dan McCarney performed a minor miracle there, untill he went 4-8 and everybody from the press to the AD wanted to him gone. Iwoa State, both the school and the fans/reporters, know nothing about college football. Also Chizik has recruited out of both Texas and Florida while at Iowa St, something that should only improve as he returns to Auburn.

6. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

I understand but I found the article amusing. I did find one thing though that peaked my interest. It mentioned Turner Gill. The guy has turned around a weak, weak school in Buffalo and some wanted him. They said the "right" people at Auburn was the good ole boy network. We will see how this works out. I think he is on a tight leash.

7. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Maybe Iowa St should hire Tuberville.

That would be an upgrade for them.

8. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

Looks like my article may be closer to the truth. What a messed up move when you already had a guy as good as Chizik. this is going to get ugly.No matter what big wigs or good ole boys think, most seem not happy

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3770769

9. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

They didn't pass on Gill because he is black.

They passed on him because Chizik already has experience in the way they run things over at Auburn.

The AD has no power. The head coach answer directly to the boosters and the board of directors.

Those people don't know Gill, and they know that Chizik will play by their rules. That's why he was hired.

Gill would have been a way better move. A black coach is a huge draw for young black athletes. And Auburn will need any recruiting edge they can get if they are even going to compete with Alabama on the field.

Plus, Gill has already taken a shit program and turned it into a conference champion. I wouldn't be surprised if they asked Gill if he wanted the job and he said no. Who would after seeing how they treated Tuberville?

Gill is THE up and coming coach in college football. In the next few years, he will have opportunites at any job he wants. I think he can afford to pass on Auburn.

10. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

yeah, definitely not a race thing, if it were some other lousy white coach i might say so, but Chizik is a familiar face from a familiar place and they just want to keep that going. it's still a "good ole boy" thing, just not a racial thing

11. Texan JBZ

Texan JBZ Da Sip's Finest

I lived in Montgomery for basically three years. The Auburn following in that city is huge! But I can tell you from experience that that area of the country reeks of Old South mentality. I'm more than sure that Turner Gil's race had something to do with not hiring him. That, and the fact the his wife is white. Things that don't matter that much in this part of the country matter a lot over there. Auburn made a huge mistake not hiring Turner Gil. And memo to you Kastofsna, Chizik is a lousy white coach. His record at Iowa State was 5-19! What does a record like that get you? A new job in an even tougher conference with better coaches and a hefty pay raise. That's pathetic. Who's knocking down Sly Croom's door for a job? Or Ron Prince? Or Karl Dorrell? They've won more games as head coaches than Chizik has won.

Chizik is going to get ran over by other SEC coaches. Think about it - he now has to recruit against and coach against the likes of Saban, Myers, Richt, Miles, Nutt, Petrino, Kiffin, and Spurrier. Yeah, good luck with that. And Chizik isn't the reason that Auburn or Texas had such great talent. Tuberville is as masterful a recruiter as Brown. He lured the likes of Cadillac Williams, Ronnie Brown, Marcus McNeil, Jay Ratliff, Jason Campbell, Marcus Washington, and Carlos Rogers to Auburn. He's as good as it gets as a recruiter. Add to the fact that Alabama is back on top of the world and Chizik has the makings of a beautiful mess.

Turner Gil took a nothing program and turned them into champions of the MAC in three years. Three years people. At Buffalo. I didn't even know that Buffalo had a football program yet alone played in the MAC before Gil put them on the map. They say that he is a better person than he is a coach. They say that he makes his players better people, not only better players. Why would Auburn not take a chance on him instead of Chizik? What has Chizik done as a Head Coach besides lose? It's deep South racism and the good ol' boy network at work at its finest.

12. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

When Chizik was the Iowa head coach he did not recruit well. Rivals ranked his three recruit classes as 60th, 62nd, and 76th. In his three years, he actually managed to get a little worse each year. His predecessor, Dan McCarney's last three recruit classes were 42nd, 58th, and 63rd.

Chizik is a Def coordinator who can help make good talent look good. However, he is unable to go out and get that talent and simply not cut out to be a head coach.

13. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

yup, that's what i said. but i meant that if it was a lousy white coach who WASN'T associated with Auburn then i'd have a different opinion. this is a terrible hire but not for racist reasons, they just wanted to get a familiar face in there

btw i can't see Auburn, or any other major SEC program, hiring ANY coach of an 8-5 MAC team with no ties to the conference at all. and if you look at Gill's coaching career, i don't know if he's even ready to make that big of a leap. his next step should be trying to turn around a program bigger than Buffalo, like Washington State or Syracuse (i know they just hired someone, but it's jsut an example)

14. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Hey Chuckles, stick to................. well................. eating.

15. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

Nothing Barkley says holds water to intelligent people. He is a complete moron. Great player that says alot fo controversial stuff to gt attention.

16. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

Maybe Gill should go to Iowa State:thinking:

17. Ckw

Ckw Guest

But of course, Barkley, and I am sure eventually Stephen A. Smith, had to make it a race issue....

18. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

also, shouldn't Brady Hoke have gotten more consideration at a place like Auburn than Turner Gill? i'd say he's had a more impressive resume overall

19. Blake

Blake MMQB

#1: Chizik was an Aubrun defensive coordinator for what, 2,3 years, and was part of the reason they went undefeated a few years back.
    #2: Texas. He was the defensive coordinator for Texas durring their championship run.
    #3: Turner Gill. Does he have any SEC experience? Has he ever been to Texas, Mississippi, Alabama?
    #4. Chizik already knows the entire Auburn organization. They wont skip a beat with recruiting and how things run.

Maybe it was the right hire, maybe it was the wrong. But it was not about race. No matter how bad you want that to be true Charles.

20. Texan JBZ

Texan JBZ Da Sip's Finest

Chizik was playing with players that were recruited by masterful recruiters Tommy Tuberville and Mack Brown. Those weren't Chizik's recruits. And who cares if Turner Gil has any SEC experience? Urban Meyer didn't have any SEC experience. Didn't seem to matter. Didn't seem to matter at UT with Lane Kiffin either. Some of you guys don't like Barkley just because of how outspoken he is. But the one fact that you guys are overlooking is that Charles knows that school better than any of us commenting on what he said do. He grew up in Alabama, graduated from Auburn, and is a proud and involved alumnus of the school. He knows the decision makers at Auburn better than we do. If he says that it was a racist decision not to hire Gil, then, well, he knows what is going on over there better than we do.

All I know is this - Saban, Meyer, Kiffin, and Richt are all licking their chops at getting some of those recruits away from Auburn. Good luck with that Chizik. Hope those in the Auburn "family" support you in three years when Saban is kicking the hell out of Auburn on the field and on the recruiting trail.

P.S. - When is Charlie Strong, the DC at Florida, going to get a HC opportunity? I mean, he does know the SEC really well. He's coached at South Carolina and now Florida. I just wonder if his skin has anything to do with it?