Attention: Training Camp Dates Changed

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Vinny, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

straight from the .com...

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=4412

2. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

does this mean that we're looking so good on paper and in ota's that we are going to be taking it easy, or does it mean that Kubiak is really worried about depth with the 80 man roster?

3. GlassHalfFull

GlassHalfFull Subscribed Contributor

I think it means it is hot as hell, and they don't want fans and players collapsing.

4. BSofA04

BSofA04 Hall of Fame

IIRC those afternoon practices from 3:15 pm to 5:15 pm would have been a killer. Smart move by the Texans to limit heat exposure during the hottest part of the day. Or at least move them to the bubble?????

Now this makes me wonder if those practices are cancelled to the public, or cancelled completely? Know what I mean?

5. Bull Pen 1

Bull Pen 1 Hall of Fame

What were they thinking, it's always HOT in Houston this time of year. You would think someone would have thought of the heat ahead of time.

6. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

The entire league is concerned about having 7 or 8 fewer guys to help them get through camp and preseason. It's not just the Texans. Whatever they can do to help reduce the risk of injury prior to Week 1 is fine by me.

7. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Hall of Fame

I doubt its the heat. Hasn't this summer been a little better?

8. TexansLucky13

TexansLucky13 53d Signal Batt

If it didn't have anything to do with the heat, they wouldn't have canceled only the afternoon sessions IMO.

I think the heat a big part in it but like aj said, there is more to it.

9. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

In the Texans training camp preview on Sunday, Kubiak mentioned that the afternoon sessions were going to be easy and mostly used for teaching.

Smart way of doing things with 80 man rosters and what happened to the Redskins with Zorn saying that they were going to have a tougher camp.

This Hashmarks link is worth a read about training camp:

So yeah, Houston has a lot of training camp scheduled, but the afternoon sessions are for teaching.

10. painekiller

painekiller Hall of Fame

Just to add to this, Kubiak stated the afternoon practice was going to be without helmets or pads.

I saw a report earlier talking about how the high number of injuries maybe related to the heat and the intensity of the practice schedule, well maybe Kubiak saw that report?

11. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

I wonder if the incoming bad weather will affect the training camps coming up.

12. tsip

tsip Hall of Fame

Caper's practice sessions were also questioned as a contributing factor to the # of players on IR, and players being 'worn down' in the later stages of ball games. What are other teams doing so differently from us to keep their players off the IR?

I know that Kubiak likes to rotate players throughout the game to keep 'fresh legs' in there for the 4th qtr and, with better competition amongst the players, the level of play throughout the game should be better than ever. Now, we need to produce at ruuning back, which-in my opinion-is the biggest question mark we have..

There is no doubt that Houston's heat is tough on our players--here's hoping Kube's and company can contribute to a 'kinder' training camp on the injury side.

13. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Well, it was definitely tough on Jamie Dukes. LMAO! It looked like he was going to pass out on the NFLN show last year.

14. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I dunno, why doesn't McNair break down and spend a few bucks on providing some kind of roof or other cover from the sun for those bleachers fans view the practice from ? Even at 8 or 9 AM, heat index is probably approaching 100 degrees on some summer days in Houston.

15. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

I thought it was rather pleasant out there this morning.

16. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

AJ you're such a tough guy. What a man !