Atlanta to Hire Mike Smith

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by HoustonFrog, Jan 23, 2008.

1. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

Atlanta is looking to hire the Jags D coordinator. I know the Jags D is tough but this seems like one of those....5th choice hires

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3209686

2. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Who?

3. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I liked ATL very much the year I lived & worked there back in the 90s, but
    back then (before MV came upon the scene), the local NFL team was almost
    as afterthought to pro sports in ATL as the Braves ruled.
    MV changed it all, but with him gone and the mess left in his departure compounded by the hasty exit of Petrino, its gotta be a tough environment for the new HC.
    Then there's Arthur Blank, the Falcons owner. He's got a rep as a real control freak, and a guy who has trouble listening to others who know far more about football than he does. Its well known that he was advised not to hire Petrino, but went ahead anyway.
    So getting a no-name assist-coach is probably about the only way it could have gone for now.

4. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

I think you said it best HF sounds more like a 5th candidate hire...but then again they might just be in that position after this past year and IMO the blundering move of hiring Petrino in the first place. It's definately a work in progress and sounds like Blank is going to have to learn quick from other owners about being too hands on.