At issue: Texans tackling

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Wolf, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcsouth/0-6-123/At-issue--Texans-tackling.html

2. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Translation - The colts weren't succeeding in the first half, so they made adjustments.
    Meanwhile, the Texans went in with their gameplan and stuck to it no matter what.

The result? We're leading after halftime, but end up losing soundly.

3. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

The reason we dont force turnovers is because we dont ever change things up. We do the same crap coverage scheme, while rushing 4. We also have unathletic, smallish defenders. Either get big fatties, or scary fasst smaller guys. Not smaller, unathletic guys.

4. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

I don't think it has anything to do with our players, but I do think it has everything to do with scheme and attitude.

The Texans have never been an aggressive defense. We've always been a "limiting" defense, meaning we're happy to give up 2 or 3 yarders as long as we don't give up 10 yarders.

The result is the opposing team has the ball for tons of time and marches right down the field. We always give a cushion and we always play the man, not the ball. Our players don't have ball skills at all. When they do get chances to make INTs, its because of a horrible throw or a tipped pass. I dont think I've seen the Texans make a play on a ball all year long. No jumped routs. No jump balls that go our way

5. hot pickle

hot pickle Canada Eh

and thats the tail at the end of almost all texans games... stick to the gameplan and hope we dont lose to bad

6. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

Adibi made it to the ballcarrier a number of times in the backfield, only to let him slip away for a positive play. One of our biggest issues is our inability to stop running plays for a loss. Even running plays that are bottled up at the LOS end up going for a gain of 2 or 3. When that happens you are constantly putting yourself in 3rd and short situations, and, thus, our defense can never get off the field.

That's why a monster DT and some LB who can tackle are so desparately needed on this team.

7. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Again, I don't really see it as a personnel issue. We have the players and they have the ability to get to the ballcarriers.

But our coaches don't teach "big play" mentality.

We'd rather "stuff" the runner for a 3 yard game 9/10 times then take a chance on a negative play and end up giving up 6 yards

8. BuffaloglennTX

BuffaloglennTX Rookie

I don't disagree on the monster DT and tackling, physical linebackers. Against Indy, however, we did have quite a few 3rd and 6 or better and Indy converted almost all of them. So our problem wasn't so much that we gave them easy short third downs, it's that we gave them easy longer third downs. I can't remember what we did against Baltimore as I blocked that game out of my head. We just sucked.

9. drewmar74

drewmar74 disgruntled

...which has been a recurring theme this season. It's been demoralizing.

*hey! that was 2000 posts!

10. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

The Bills don't exactly have the most talented front 4, especially without Schobel. However, if you watched that game, different blitzes and fronts created havoc and allowed totally unblocked players to come free right up the middle. Why we can't do some of that is a mystery...

I realize that blitzing can be high risk. However, if your defense is going to get driven down the field anyway, why wouldn't you take some shots and at least make it uncomfortable... Besides, we have a good offense, it's not a bad thing to add a couple more posessions per game to it.

11. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Bingo. :photos: