Astrodome to become Hotel???

Discussion in 'Texan Tailgate' started by barrett, Nov 12, 2007.

1. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5291914.html

apparently, houston is trying to develop the astrodome into a hotel and the texans and the rodeo oppose this idea.

i've often wondered as i sit tailgaiting, staring at it, what it's doing there. or as i walk past it on the way to the game thinking "can't they do something with this?"

the texans and the rodeo are calling for the proposed hotel to close on gamedays and during the rodeo because it cuts into their profits or their lease agreement or something.

i'm thinking; as an austinite who travels to houston for gameday, (leaving austin at 5am, ::UGH::) how amazing would it be if that whole thing was a hotel and the night before it was filled with texans fans? that sounds pretty cool to me. i mean you could pretty much house most of the out of towners in that place. that'd be pretty cool.

the only negative i can think of would be that people would be less inclined to tailgate because they'd be holed up in their rooms. other than that, seems pretty cool.

seems like they could find a way to make it worth mcnair's while.

what do ya'll think?

2. Ckw

Ckw Guest

I love the idea. Sounds great. Especially if they didn't change anything about the look of the outside. Sure, fix it up. But keep it the Astrodome. It needs to be turned into something. I have no other better ideas so a hotel sounds good to me.

3. Yankee_In_TX

Yankee_In_TX Dance Lindsay!

For whatever reason, it ain't going to happen.

4. shinerbock_girl

shinerbock_girl Hall of Fame

I'd stay there

5. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

6. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

Better yet, put some slot machines and poker tables on the ground floor.

7. axman40

axman40 Hall of Fame

I would like the Earl Campbell suite for the weekend!
    :fans:

8. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

you're right. i didn't catch that. maybe this should be merged. i was just curious as to the idea of it being a hotel and wouldn't that be something useful. or would it? why is it so opposed by the texans and the rodeo? what does it take away from them?

9. Yankee_In_TX

I've never really heard a valid argument, but like I said, they're very set on it NOT being a hotel.

10. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

Not just make it a hotel, but put in a Houston sports museum as well. That give us a way to honor the Earl Campbell's and the rest of the Oilers, as the Texans can't really retire any old Oilers jerseys or put them in a ring of honor because they never played for the Texans. Put it all in the Houston Sports Museum, housed at the Astrodome, and you get around Bud screwing us out of that.

Campbell, Matthews, Moon, Munchak, Bum, the Luv Ya Blue era, the Run n Shoot era. Cougars memorabilia, the Yeoman days, Andre Ware and the Pardee days. Phi Slama Jama. Rockets history, Astros history...there's a LOT of sports history in this town.

And the idea of out of town Texans fans coming in and being able to stay on site before and after games seems like a genius idea to me. Walk out to the tailgates. Stumble back to your room after the tailgate. Rodeo guests as well. Hell, the rodeo could even have a wing in the museum.

I don't understand how this takes away from the Texans and the Rodeo.

11. Buffi2

Buffi2 Site Contributor

The plan also includes some kind of amusement park thing on the inside and the rodeo says that will take their customers away. There is also the food/drink issue. Then there is the parking problem - although that might have been resolved - I'm not sure. There is also the traffic issue.

link

Could be a lawsuit before all is said and done.

12. Yankee_In_TX

Well derrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, any new place is going to have to have a unique parking solution, like a garage across the street w/ valet, or something else.

I wonder if proposals have assumed the using of Reliant parking? That would be a deal killer.

13. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Well, there's a huge empty lot with a pedestrian bridge on the other side of 610, that used to be Astro World. Whatever parking is lost, can be made up there - and more.

14. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

McNair says his lease says he will not have a competitor on the grounds. If the lease says that, I could understand. It would be like you opening a Burger King in a strip mall and then a Dairy Queen wants in. It makes McNair seem greedy to me especially as the promotor as offered a cut of all entertainment on game days, has offered to not allow Texan/rodeo patrons access to hotel (do not know how that would work, may be a stamp on hand like a club). Parking would be a night mare but how many of those staying in the hotel will be using their car during time fans are enterring/exiting. I just think a hotel that can fill hat many rooms brings much to the economy including tax $ and jobs.

15. Hagar

Hagar Drink up yall, its the Texans!

I've never know the City of Houston to be very sentimental about any historical structures. Most of the time, we just bulldoze'em and rebuild. I think a lot of people would like to see the dome saved, but when push comes to shove, the public really doesn't care.

16. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

how is a hotel a competitor? last time i was at reliant, they wouldn't let me sleep there.

17. dskillz

dskillz Veteran

If that hotel is selling something to drink or eat, then it is a competitor. If people can go into the hotel and eat brunch before the game, then it is a competitior in McNair's eyes.

I have no idea what they will do about parking for anything that opens up there. My gut feeling is that the Astrodome will remain being empty for awhile and eventually will be torn down.

18. sakebomb

sakebomb Hall of Fame

A hotel with balloons? I guess FILO would stay there. :)

It sounds like a waste of time and money to me.

19. Joe Texan

Joe Texan Inducted 04

Oh no Balloons, Eeeeeekkkkkk Do not let @#$ get WIND of this. He will be Shutting the city of Houston off, And probably go to jail what with the helium tank and all.

20. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

McNair and the Rodeo people seriously piss me off on this subject. They have a legal point that nobody can debate but they also have exactly zero imagination (in McNair's case this should be obvious by now to those of us who have watched the Houston Texans "develop") and can't even wrap their tiny greedy brains around the concept that this will help them, not hurt them.

If they end up tearing the Astrodome down because these guys can't see the opportunity sitting there right before their eyes then I'll have made my last trip to Reliant Park. I mean that wholeheartedly. Bob seemed to start out on the right foot but he's well on his way to turning into Houstons 21st century Bud Adams.