Assign Blame: Coaching or Personnel?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Tulip, Dec 13, 2005.

?

Where Does the Majority of the Blame Lie?

1. Coaching (Capers)

45 vote(s)
    61.6%
  2. Personnel (Casserly)

28 vote(s)
    38.4%
  1. Tulip

Tulip Hall of Fame

I know we've argued back and forth all season, but I wanted to get an actual NUMERICAL count of where we stand.

I know neither the Capers nor Casserly is 100% to blame, but if you had to choose which was more to blame for the Texans' 2005 failure: coaching or personnel, which would you choose?

2. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

Coaching

3. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

I would like a combo vote, but as the people listed after the positions, I chose coaching

4. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

PBurnt , Babin , B.Joppru ,Tony Hollings , and lets not forget Tony Boselli ....Cut Aaron Glenn , Cut Jamie Sharper .....Need I go on ?

5. Tulip

Tulip Hall of Fame

But what are the chances that it's a true 50/50 blame scenario?

6. Gunbuny

Gunbuny Rookie

I have to agree with this statement. The move that screams inept front-office is P-Burnt. How is it that Raidah fans (I know a lot of them) knew he shys away from contact and can't cover but Casserly does not know this?? All he seemrd to care about is if this guy was going to get caught with 10lbs of pot in his car or kick his pregnant girlfriend down the stairs. This is important, but isn't it also important if the guy can play football?

7. Tulip

Tulip Hall of Fame

I don't think that we should have traded for him (or released Glenn), but the Raiders have long been considered an undisciplined team. Casserly thought that proper coaching would correct Buchanon's defects.

8. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

Coaching.

9. texplayer2

texplayer2 Veteran

I think that shying away from contact is something most players who have been around awhile do. It's called getting older and wiser in life. Football is a sport for the young, this Casserly knows, and now he knows even better. I bet the experience with Buchanon will make him shy away from such contracts as well. Ask Deion Sanders, David Carr,etc....what happens as time goes on.

10. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

:challenge

Its kinda hard to win as a coach when you have no talent at so many positions .... Ill list the holes .... You all tell me what you think .

Center .... zero talent in S.McKinney ... Seems to think He's and the rest of the O-Line are MUCH better than they really are .

Left O-Guard .....Milford Brown ..... maybe a back up somewhere else ... probably not

TE ..... Mark Bruener .... couldnt catch a beach ball

WR ....Corey Bradford .... See Above
    WR....Jabar Gaffney ..... Up one minute , Down the next

LOLB ...Jason Babin .... Lost his starter spot to a special teamer (Shantee Orr , who has played pretty well of late)

RLOB ....Antwan Peek .... Im not hearing how he needs more playing time now .... But I dont hear the play by play guy calling his name much either .

FS ....Marcus Coleman ... Lost his job to a rookie second day pick ....Between DUI's and not showing up for team meetings .... nuff said

RCB ....Phillip Buchanon ... Hurt , Benched , cant tackle , cant cover ... Maybe he should try Flag Football ?

If i left anything out ... fill in the blank .

Dont thing Vince Lombardi could make this team a winner with that many holes .:cool:

11. Khari

Khari Administrator Staff Member

we need a "both" pick

12. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

By the way .... Im not real big on Capers , although I think he has the right general idea , run the ball well , control the clock , stop the run ... Not pretty to watch but its winning football .

13. Tulip

Tulip Hall of Fame

Why? Is the breakdown of blame:

50.000000% Coaching

and

50.000000% Personnel

?

I very deliberately left off a "both" option.

14. Tulip

Tulip Hall of Fame

It's the "keep it close until the 4th quarter and then find a way to pull off the win" part that makes it impossible. That's playing not to lose, and it's a terrible philosophy. I'd say "just ask Mack Brown", but he won't admit it. He still credits better players with the team's jump from good to great over the past year.

15. Ibar_Harry

Ibar_Harry Hall of Fame

I wouldn't disagree except I believe those are the players the coaches wanted except for perhaps Brown. Brown was a special draft situation like Hollings and simply never has panned out. But then again who has on the O-line?

16. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

You may be right on TWO of those players , and they are probably the biggest busts on the team , Babin abd PBurnt ..... but the rest of that mess is Casserly's doing.

17. keyfro

keyfro Hall of Fame

simply put...you play to WIN the game...(best line ever)...you do NOT play not to lose the game...that's what capers does...and that's why he loses...cause he does not play to the win the freakin game

18. touttail

touttail All Pro

I voted coaching, but needed an all the above button!!!!!

Don't think we have exceptional talent, but strongly feel we would be better than 1-12 with a HC that had some cojones and swagger!

Bobby 119C:brickwall

19. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

We were 7-9 last year, with most of the same players. It seems to me that the same team should be better than 1-12, so I voted coaching.

Although players should share some of the blame, too. They play the game.

20. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Overall we are 4 - 21 our last 25 games. The wheels started falling off last year.

I'd say it was both bad coaching and poor talent. I don't think it is just a one sided equation. Great players can overcome some bad coaching by making plays...we don't get many glimpes of dominating play from too many of our players. Just Walker, Dunta, Dom Davis and flashes of AJ.